Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So Many Fewer People On Multi Use Trails: Why?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So Many Fewer People On Multi Use Trails: Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-20, 01:57 PM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A Lot Fewer People On Multi Use Trails in June: Why?

From march to Memorial Day, the number of trail users went through the roof. There is no doubt the trails were busier than I had ever seen.

After MDW, numbers dropped off sharply, and on many days, the paths now seem more abandoned than ever.

My hypothesis was that people are feeling less concerned about whatever, and were traveling out of town more frequently, watering down the numbers. However, I doubt people are vacationing out of town mon to wed for example. Of course there are significantly more people out when the weather is really nice and on weekends, but those numbers are nowhere near what I saw during the week in prior months.

I enjoyed seeing the throngs out getting some exercise. Are you all seeing similar? I wonder if people just went back to old habits of staying in and watching tv or Netflix or playing video games after a trial run of a couple of months of exercise? This doesn't make sense to me as the weather is now a lot nice than in march or even April.

I may just have to start asking people.
Old 06-19-20, 02:33 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
They're all in getting their new Walmart bikes repaired after riding 10 mi or so

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-19-20, 02:42 PM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
No doubt I'm seeing a lot of junk bikes out there.
Old 06-19-20, 02:46 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Depending on the region, perhaps some people who were forced to stay home from work and had more flexibility to exercise are back in the office and busy there during the day.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-19-20, 02:51 PM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Depending on the region, perhaps some people who were forced to stay home from work and had more flexibility to exercise are back in the office and busy there during the day.

Otto
No, I'm talking in the evenings, 5 to 8 PM.

But you're right with restaurants and a few other businesses opening up, some people are returning to work who were previously free in the evenings. Even though business is light during the week, with businesses "reopening" at least some people have to be at work in the evenings even if there are relatively few customers.
Old 06-19-20, 02:51 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I don't know about the weekends (avoid the mup then), but during the week, there are lots less on it here. People are getting back to work, shopping, going to restaurants, other "normal" activities are starting up-even if with some restrictions. And it's getting hotter (at least here) also. Those who weren't riders pre-virus may not be continuing to ride now, since there are other things to do.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-19-20, 02:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
You and I must live in different universes. As for the evening hours, more people than usual may have more flexibility to ride during the morning and early afternoon. I know I often do right now
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-19-20, 03:11 PM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Paths are still crowded here. Crazy busy.
Likes For BNSF:
Old 06-19-20, 03:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've avoided the MUPs as much as possible this spring. It's been a zoo.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-19-20, 03:55 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
start looking at craigslist for good deals on bicycles, and toilet paper too!
Old 06-19-20, 06:09 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Maybe they have been lurking here and reading about all the problems on MUPs
Old 06-19-20, 06:23 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
The local MUP here was crowded before the lockdowns, crowded during it, and is still crowded now that restrictions are being relaxed. I usually ride early AM before the crowds come out around mid-morning, and its still quite calm at that time.
Old 06-19-20, 06:24 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
It is the same in Manhattan. Several weeks ago the 6 mile loop in Central Park was teaming with riders, good ones and bad ones. Herds of people walking bikes up Harlem Hill. All this week it has been empty despite perfect weather. CitiBikes in fewer and fewer numbers. Thank god.
Old 06-19-20, 06:34 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Here in Toronto there hasn't been a drop. Even tonight I went for a bike ride and it was the most crowded I have ever seen. This was between 4:30-6:30. Maybe it is geographically specific.
Old 06-19-20, 07:35 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
With time off of work and good warm weather, people who I've never seen exercising before were suddenly out and about. As we all know, it's easy to start a work-out/exercise routine, but difficult to maintain. Lol, you/we guys are out there everyday rain or shine, and not many can or even want to match that
Old 06-19-20, 08:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
I'd be lying if I said the MUPs & roads were less used currently. I've shifted my ride times as much as I can, yet it is busy no matter what time I am out. The next few weeks it usually slows down from folks heading out to there camping areas, but I do not feel that'll be the case this year.
Old 06-19-20, 08:30 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Dropped off dramatically where I live probably due to the heat, and people slowly going back to work. Maybe some people that tried recommitting to exercise gave up too, but who knows.

It was nice to see more people out (that were not in groups). However, despite my efforts to slow down, and be patient with novice and less-than-courteous trail users, it was getting really frustrating using the trails there for awhile. I had one crash due to an unleashed dog, and had to yell at quite a few other people with unleashed dogs, and kids that were riding on the wrong side of the path coming at me. After the crash I seriously considered to stop using the trails altogether, and to bike out out of town to the gravel on roads only, or to drive out and start past the idiots, but then it died down.
Old 06-19-20, 08:33 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Speaking for myself, the reason I haven't been using MUPs is because they are packed with walkers. I'd rather ride fast on streets with cars than slow and "On your left!"ing (OYLing) all the time.
Old 06-19-20, 08:54 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Ours is insanely busy. Most traffic it has had in years...I hope it ends soon. MUP is a no go on the weekends for certain, during the week its not terrible.
Old 06-19-20, 09:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Speaking for myself, the reason I haven't been using MUPs is because they are packed with walkers. I'd rather ride fast on streets with cars than slow and "On your left!"ing (OYLing) all the time.
I find myself still doing that when on the road. Same result happens. They swerve to the left, looking right, then aimlessly zigzag in the lane. Meanwhile, I end up going over into the other lane when traffic is clear.
Old 06-28-20, 02:08 PM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
There's certainly been no drop-off on weekends, that's for sure. It's always been crowded but seems far more crowded than before.

I must've passed at least 4 dozen or more cyclists: there are very few experienced cyclists riding. I passed several groups 4 or 5x as I stopped for sightseeing whereas they kept riding.
Old 06-28-20, 02:58 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
In Southern California multi use paths are very frustrating for cyclists. Even with painted stripes for separation zones , people ignore them and walk three abreast with strollers , dogs on retractable leashes extended out 15’ , or parents who think this is an excellent place to let their kids learn how to roller skate by taking up the whole lane. I stopped using them and have been much happier on the road.
Likes For Kabuki12: