Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice for a newbie

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advice for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 08:44 AM
AquaXIII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice for a newbie

Hey guys I’m a new rider, I recently bought a Vintage Giant RS950 road bike and while riding my back tire went flat. I don’t know what kind of tires to get but I know they are 700x25c. Do you guys have any recommendations?? Also I read somewhere about an inner tube ? I don’t know this whole thing is confusing but I look forward to the advice
Old 08-08-20, 10:21 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Welcome to the Bike Forums ! Flats happen You need to remove the wheel and tire and repair the flat. Probably the tire picked up a nail or something and it penetrated the tube. I would watch the instructions from videos on line how to do the repairs. Park Tools has some great ones. I would get the basic tools, and a couple of spare inner tubes for your 25C tires. Also a patch kit for the tubes. It is nice to simply repalce the tube with a new one but the patch repairs work OK. One thing to thnk about is the abllity to repair the flat out on the road. I always carry a spare tube and repair tools, (plastic levers for removing and reinstalling the tire on the rim) a small tire pump. If I get a flat on the road I just put in the new tube then when I get home I patch the tube with the puncture with a patch kit and save it for a spare. Congratulations on your Giant RS950 bike ! You will enjoy many miles on it.
Old 08-08-20, 10:40 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
My tire recs are as follows:

1) Pirelli P Zero Velo, my #1 in this case because they last long enough and are extremely easy to put on and take off. Really excellent tire, fast, supple.
2) Conti 5000, fast, durable, but harder to get on and off.
3) Vittoria Corsa 2.0, fast, easy to get on, durable, insanely stable at speed.
4) Vittoria Rubino Pro 2.0, inexpensive, durable, decently fast

You can get these online at a variety of places but Excel Sports has them in sets for basically half what a local shop charges.

As for tubes, Continental tubes are the way to go.

If you are worried about the difficulty of changing tires yourself, get the Pirelli tires and watch a YouTube on changing tires.

Tires are the easiest and cheapest way to improve a bike, so don’t go cheap on tires. It isn’t worth riding are garbage tires.

Also get your wheels trued up.

Last edited by Mulberry20; 08-08-20 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-08-20, 02:44 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by AquaXIII
Hey guys I’m a new rider, I recently bought a Vintage Giant RS950 road bike and while riding my back tire went flat. I don’t know what kind of tires to get but I know they are 700x25c. Do you guys have any recommendations?? Also I read somewhere about an inner tube ? I don’t know this whole thing is confusing but I look forward to the advice
Unless the tire is damaged, just the tube needs replacement or patching.
You can get a tube that says it's for 25c or less. It will stretch. Don't try using a tube sized larger than the tire.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-08-20, 03:02 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
schwalbe marathon plus, get the 28c or 32c
Old 08-08-20, 05:46 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
25 is probably the limit on that frame and it’s cutting it close with how tires mount these days
Old 08-08-20, 06:12 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
It'll be mentioned in the videos, but it's worth mentioning again because it is important: While replacing the damaged tube, check around inside the tire for any sharp items which might still be lodged in the tread. A lesson I learned the hard way back when I lived in a city which used cinders on the roads in the winter. I got a lot of flats.