Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2020 Mini Velo Options for Tall Rider

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-11-20, 06:59 PM
Smithie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks,

It's been some time since I looked seriously at getting a mini velo - a lot of the options I'd considered back in the day aren't even on the table anymore. I'm 6'3" and ~200lbs, so will need to modify whatever I end up getting, but I'm wondering what's still even available in a geared mini velo for someone tall? Looks like the Mercier is around and also a pretty spendy thing from Velo Orange. Any other's I'm missing? Trying to squeeze this thing in an NYC apartment, and although the minis will be tight, I think a folder would be even worse. Let me know. Thanks all! I appreciate it!
Old 08-11-20, 07:05 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
There's a thread on Mercier upgrades around here somewhere. From what I recall, most buyers of the Mecier (Bikes Direct) see it as a rideable canvas which serves as a starting point which you can choose when and how to upgrade.

Found the thread here. https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/735211-bikesdirect-mini-velo-upgrade-thread.html

Last edited by stevel610; 08-11-20 at 07:09 PM.
Likes For stevel610:
Old 08-11-20, 07:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Look at some of the Bike Friday choices.

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...cket-road-bike

They'll build to your size, and can beef it up for the weight. Also choice of 406 or 451 tires.
Old 08-12-20, 09:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
^^^ This.. Minivelos sell a lot in Asia, not many buyers are tall, so the batch made frames are for them...
They don;t fold if you don;t want them to..
My Bike Friday Is my favorite go to bike.... they are JIT made for the buyer..
your size need, color & component pick is on like a Menu..
Your bike frame is built when your ticket is on top of the queue...

I realize the cost of living in New York is high, But,
If you don't want to spend much money you may find nothing.

Old 08-12-20, 11:54 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
maybe different storage options..will work with full size frame .like hanging it on the wall by the pedal https://www.amazon.com/Venzo-Bicycle...47332771&psc=1

Old 08-12-20, 01:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
New Albion, the less fancy part of Soma, has a mini velo frame. It's pretty old-fashioned.

Microbrew ? New Albion Cycles
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-12-20, 03:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

will a mini velo really save that much space?

Old 08-12-20, 04:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I think it's more about the convenience of the total dimension. A 40in wheelbase with 20in wheels is five feet (or 1.5M). That will fit just about anywhere, barely.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-12-20, 05:32 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Yes it will, one foot in length. Most 700c bikes are 6 feet long, my Mercier Mini-velo is five foot long.

I have folding pedals and it easily fits in the back seat of my wife's 2005 Corolla. BTW, most cars have a 5 foot interior width.
Old 08-13-20, 10:52 AM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I think it's more about the convenience of the total dimension. A 40in wheelbase with 20in wheels is five feet (or 1.5M). That will fit just about anywhere, barely.
Originally Posted by mirfi
Yes it will, one foot in length. Most 700c bikes are 6 feet long, my Mercier Mini-velo is five foot long.

I have folding pedals and it easily fits in the back seat of my wife's 2005 Corolla. BTW, most cars have a 5 foot interior width.
thanks good learning for me

Old 08-13-20, 01:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

the smaller wheels help.. There are other options like quick turn stems and MKS EZy QR pedals to make the width flatter..

you could Rinko bag your bike @ home too..

Noted : Lg New Albion is still just a 55 seat tube , still on the small side..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-13-20 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 02:57 PM
Smithie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, we've got 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 pets in an NYC apartment - you better believe there is a lot of stuff hanging from the walls and ceilings already, including two kids bikes... A 59-63cm bike frame would be a beast of an addition. I also tend to ride a 30mm or larger tire, so that adds even more length. Also, that extra foot? You'll be glad it's gone when your running your ride up and down skinny flights of stairs every day...

I was looking at the Mini Velo's rather than folders because I prefer a more rigid ride and tend to be rough on my bikes (weigh a fair amount, like to go fast, roads are terrible). My other option is just to get a beater or a low-end jobby, rehab it, and then just store it outside. This might make the most sense if the options are so limited.

I've considered the Bike Fridays in the past - but I'm pretty concerned about the flex at my height and weight. They're also pretty spendy. I could likely customize the hell out of a Mercier, ride it till the frame bends, replace the frame with another new Mercier, and still be at a lower price point....
@Darth Lefty, that New Albion seems to be discontinued. Interesting option though.

Anybody have an opinion on the Cannondale Hooligan for a tall rider? Looks like one might be able to pick one up at a decent price if paying attention.
Old 08-17-20, 04:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Buy it and report back Will it have a 58~ 60 seat tube & top tube . those details are things to learn,

Bike Friday's Diamond Llama is pretty Sturdy , but again that's US manufacturing costs not Taiwan..
Old 08-17-20, 04:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Smithie
Yea, we've got 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 pets in an
I think you should be OK on one of the mainstream Bike Fridays for most ordinary riding.

Two ways to go. My seatpost mast is so tall that nobody shorter than me could fit the bike. A bit of an advantage if I encounter short people wishing to borrow it.

On the other hand, the "OSATA" models are designed for maximum adjustability. One bike rules them all. They are often a little bit cheaper, and it could be an advantage for a family bike.
Old 08-19-20, 11:17 AM
squirtdad

know this is not local to op, and out of price range....but mini velo in carbon may give an idea of other brand to look at???

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik...177496323.html

and just for the heck of it went on nyc craigslist and saw this in queens....well flushing same thing kind of an odd duck, but might work (i lived in NYC for 5 1/2 years 2 on governors's island and 3 1/2 in the bronx)

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/b...177522207.html

Old 08-27-20, 07:29 PM
Klaw

Bikes: Diamondback Response Sport '07 w BBSHD 1000W, Downtube 9FS ’08 w BBS02 750W, 2016 Cannondale Hooligan, 1996 Trek 800. 2022 Mercier Nano

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Anybody have an opinion on the Cannondale Hooligan for a tall rider?
I have a hooligan and am 6'. The seatpost extends far enough for me but you could add a longer one if needed. You'll need to get a riser bar as the handlebars are way too low imo. (and extend brake cables) but a 6" riser worked for me. They show up on ebay once a month and are usually snapped up fast. I got mine a few years ago from a Cannondale bike shop that's just over the jersey border in NY State, Piermont Bikes for 700, they occasionally have ones. Great bike imo. light, stable ride, the lefty fork is surprisingly non-twitchy. The Mercier really is the only thing beyond crappy folders under 500 though.
Old 08-28-20, 07:52 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Schindelhauer used to make the Thinbike with a twist-away handlebar to make it extra flat. Now only available on the used market.
Old 09-09-20, 10:04 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Every time I look at a Hooligan I wonder how much less ridiculous I would feel on a mid-school BMX with front 990s on the fork and an alfine/rohloff.

Really wanting a Haro Blammo rn.