Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

? about Trek Navigator 2.0 front brakes

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 07:20 PM
fletchb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
My fiance has begun to ride a bike for both fun and health reasons. She was going to buy a bike a walmart, but my boss offered to loan her a Trek Navigator 2.0

Boss said it might need repairs but only thing I can find wrong is front tire loses it's air overnight. I took off wheel to get a new tube installed last weekend but shop said they were overloaded and would take like a week to get to me. When I put the tire back on I noticed the brakes were locked up. Needless to say what I found the left caliber has a long metal sprint to keep it from rubbing . Is this normal (and safe) as I have never seen this before on my bikes ?

My other ? is what is this bike worth in good condition and would you say it's better than what she can get at walmart? Other than that weird spring it looks like a good design and was kept inside so looks almost brand new. I thought the bike was easy/smooth to ride, I liked it myself other than the front brake being a bit grabby (and that spring).
Fiance wants a bike whether it is this one or one at walmart (they are ~$150).

Thank you..
Old 08-27-20, 07:45 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Look at the rear brake. The front is the same. At least it should be!

No doubt the Navigator is a better bike than you can buy at wal mart.
Old 08-28-20, 07:01 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Both brake arms on each wheel should have a long spring that causes the brake arms to retract away from the wheel when the cable is not being pulled by the brake lever. There should be a small screw (probably a Philips head) down near where the brake arm mounts to the fork or frame where you can adjust this spring. Righty-tighty on this adjustment -- tighten the screw to tighten the spring tension (for more force away from the wheel) or loosen the screw to relieve spring tension (for less force away from the wheel). You can use these screws to center the brake arms on the wheel. If the brake favors right or left when you release the brake lever, either tighten the screw on the side that rubs the wheel or loosen the screw on the opposite side from the one that rubs the wheel. The long arm on the spring should be "seated" in a "clip" near the top of the brake arm. If this spring is not seated there, then it has no effect on the brake arm and cannot move it away from the wheel. If the rear brake is correct, then try to get the front to match the rear, in appearance and function.

Park Tools has a nice webpage (and linked video) on adjusting linear pull brakes.
Old 08-28-20, 12:15 PM
fletchb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Both brake arms on each wheel should have a long spring that causes the brake arms to retract away from the wheel when the cable is not being pulled by the brake lever. There should be a small screw (probably a Philips head) down near where the brake arm mounts to the fork or frame where you can adjust this spring. Righty-tighty on this adjustment -- tighten the screw to tighten the spring tension (for more force away from the wheel) or loosen the screw to relieve spring tension (for less force away from the wheel). You can use these screws to center the brake arms on the wheel. If the brake favors right or left when you release the brake lever, either tighten the screw on the side that rubs the wheel or loosen the screw on the opposite side from the one that rubs the wheel. The long arm on the spring should be "seated" in a "clip" near the top of the brake arm. If this spring is not seated there, then it has no effect on the brake arm and cannot move it away from the wheel. If the rear brake is correct, then try to get the front to match the rear, in appearance and function.

Park Tools has a nice webpage (and linked video) on .
Thank you both. I looked closer this am and it does have those springs on all 4 calibers. And thank you for the instructions- i got it working ok last night but the front right side could use a slight adjustment. It has the screws you are talking about as well.

Any idea of it's worth? It was kept inside and looks like she never rode it so pretty mint to my untrained eye.
Old 08-28-20, 12:16 PM
fletchb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Look at the rear brake. The front is the same. At least it should be!

No doubt the Navigator is a better bike than you can buy at wal mart.
Thanks it has the springs ..just missed it last night.
Old 08-28-20, 02:01 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
It's probably worth $100-150 as a used bike in many markets. It's definitely a better bike than a similarly priced bike at a big-box store (generally better quality frame, paint, etc.).
Old 08-29-20, 02:37 PM
fletchb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks..that helps...