Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Fenders for Trek Verve 2 Lowstep

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 08:03 PM
radka

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I have recently bought my first Trek bike and got a set of Bontrager NCS fenders with it. I had no idea what I was buying...the fenders are not solid and stable enough and vibrate terribly. Riding on an asphalt road holding the handlebars with one hand already makes them tremble a lot And the higher the speed and the less even the road, the worse it gets. I need to find a pair of decent, robust and stable fenders. The wheel size is 700c x 45mm, the bike has disc brakes. Can anybody give me a word of advice? It would be much appreciated!
Old 09-02-20, 08:29 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Planet Bike Cascadias! Wonderful fenders.
Old 09-02-20, 01:02 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
I have the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders and have found them to be pretty good.

Having said that, any fender is going to be more wiggly than no fender, so it may help to know if you've had fenders on bikes before or if the Bontrager NCS ones are truly worse than others. All fenders will wiggle around and shake to some degree. I think the Planet Bike ones are pretty good, but I can't imagine the Bontrager ones to be significantly worse if correctly installed and everything is tight.
Old 09-02-20, 01:13 PM
radka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I have the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders and have found them to be pretty good.

Having said that, any fender is going to be more wiggly than no fender, so it may help to know if you've had fenders on bikes before or if the Bontrager NCS ones are truly worse than others. All fenders will wiggle around and shake to some degree. I think the Planet Bike ones are pretty good, but I can't imagine the Bontrager ones to be significantly worse if correctly installed and everything is tight.
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Yes, I have always had fenders on my bikes. And always ridden that one bike on different surfaces such as gravel, smooth roads, park paths, less even paved roads...without problems. I do know that fenders wobble a bit. So given all my previous experience, I find the current fenders way worse. There are multiple screws on the piece of metal that holds the fender to the wheel, so that its length can be adjusted (and therefore fitted on different sizes of a wheel, I guess), which I think is the cause of the lower stability and more wobbliness to the fender.

I'll check out the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders
Old 09-02-20, 04:29 PM
hokiefyd 

Yes, I imagine the capability to adjust the length of those struts on the NCS fenders could be contributing to their instability. It surprises me that Bontrager stuff would perform poorly like that (it's usually pretty good). The Planet Bike fenders are good...buy with confidence! You'll probably want at least 55mm ones to cover 45mm tires.
Old 09-02-20, 06:06 PM
radka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Yes, I imagine the capability to adjust the length of those struts on the NCS fenders could be contributing to their instability. It surprises me that Bontrager stuff would perform poorly like that (it's usually pretty good). The Planet Bike fenders are good...buy with confidence! You'll probably want at least 55mm ones to cover 45mm tires.
Hmm, I'm having problems finding 55mm fenders The Cascadia are made up to 45mm :/
Old 09-03-20, 09:00 AM
hokiefyd 

They come in 50mm in the ALX models (aluminum):

https://www.planetbike.com/cascadia-...s-700c-x-50mm/

They also come in 65mm in the basic model (plastic):

https://www.planetbike.com/cascadia-...ers-29-x-65mm/

Either one should fit your bike. The 65s might need a little trimming here or there, but the Verve does have nice open fork legs and frame stays, so they might fit.