Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My Story of Bicycle Touring Across The U.S.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 12:06 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

Hey everyone, I just published an ebook with images called Believing Is Everything - Bike Touring Across The United States Of America. It’s been a passion project since finishing my 75-day journey from NY to CA. For my birthday weekend, I have the book available for $1.99 for my bike community. Check it out and I look forward to your thoughts!

Believing Is Everything Book

Likes For illjustride:
Old 09-07-20, 12:09 AM
boomhauer

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Great photo... where is that?
Old 09-07-20, 06:40 AM
illjustride

Originally Posted by boomhauer
Great photo... where is that?

Thank you. That cover photo was shot during a descent out of Monarch Pass in Colorado.
Old 09-07-20, 08:24 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by illjustride
Thank you. That cover photo was shot during a descent out of Monarch Pass in Colorado.
Photo taken from the west, looking back eastward, between Monarch and Gunnison? Did you stay on 50 all the way to Montrose? Was Monarch the most difficult climb of your tour?
Old 09-07-20, 08:27 AM
illjustride

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Photo taken from the west, looking back eastward, between Monarch and Gunnison? Did you stay on 50 all the way to Montrose? Was Monarch the most difficult climb of your tour?
Yes looking back eastward heading west. Monarch Pass was long and tall. I believe it was over 11,000ft or shy of it. We had to camp mid-climb and finish the rest the next day.
Old 09-07-20, 08:39 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Pardon my ignorance, but if I am using a Chromebook, would I be able to run your e-book? I'd like to read it.

EDIT: I found out how to do it. Reading it now.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 09-07-20 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-07-20, 12:40 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

That was a great read Dwayne. It was a nice way to kill a few hours nursing a sore back. I been on many parts of your route from Arlington to San Fran. Some by auto, some by motorcycle and some by bicycle, so I was able to connect visually.

It was two different rides for you. The solo journey and the tour with a friend. In hindsight I suspect you wouldn't have it any other way. I tend to think all humans have some kind of a spiritual component to their being. Did you find parts of the ride spiritual in nature?

When you first mentioned race in your story, I thought to myself, why can't we just do this without race being a part of it? But then as a pondered it each time you mentioned race, it helped me empathize and helped me understand how it is inescapably entwined into your life. I love that you said you felt sorry for the trucker who yelled at you in Kansas.

You seem to recall Kansas fondly from a cyclists standpoint. I rode west to east across it n a motorcycle. I joked that I bought a newspaper in Missouri and read the obituaries to cheer myself up. But I too think I would enjoy it on a bicycle. The quiet wide open spaces transport me to a place of peace. The mountains do as well, but they bring pain with them.

You mentioned the climb up Monarch being brutal and indeed it is. Then you mentioned the ride from Torrey to Escalante. You went on for a while about that and didn't mention the difficulty. I thought to myself how could he not comment on how hard that was. I drove it this year. When I drive roads I also process them from a cyclists standpoint. I thought as I drove it, that I couldn't possibly make it on a loaded bike. It has 1500 more feet of climbing than Monarch.

Western Utah and Nevada left the same impression on you that they di on me from my motorcycle tour. A lot of summits. The broad sweltering hot desert valleys in between offer no relief.

I found it interesting that you were reluctant to accept help and offers early in to going and then they became a normal part of your tour. I expect that you understand this now, but I'll mention it for the sake of others. When you accept an offer from others you are doing as much for them as they are for you. Many of those people are reflecting back on those encounters to this day, and when they do it warms their hearts.

I am stunned that you made it through the entire story with no real mention of bad drivers or scary traffic situations. As I think about my retirement tour, nothing creates more anxiety for me than traffic.

If my joints will make it another 4 1/2 years until I retire, I am going to treat myself to a tour like yours. I appreciate the inspiration.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 09-07-20 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 10:19 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by illjustride
Hey everyone, I just published an ebook with images called Believing Is Everything - Bike Touring Across The United States Of America. It’s been a passion project since finishing my 75-day journey from NY to CA. For my birthday weekend, I have the book available for $1.99 for my bike community. Check it out and I look forward to your thoughts!

Believing Is Everything Book

How do I get it for $1.99?