Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kinekt Handlebar Stem Review

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 02:03 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

I became a Kickstarter backer for the Kinekt Handlerbar suspension stem because my wife has their seatpost and loves it.

The stem arrived a few months ago and I installed on our Calfee tandem that i converted to an ebike 3 years ago. With the motor we go faster and sometimes the bumps felt like they hit harder.

I am VERY HAPPY with the suspension stem. It simply works, I didn't realize that it was doing anything but it does, I am actually amazed, I rode my single the other day and could not believe the difference, riding it hurt my wrists. The suspension stem is smoothing out the roads for me.

I give it a +10 score.
Old 09-19-20, 08:13 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
This is certainly an interesting concept for a handlebar stem. I would suppose that it's a similar concept to what Specialized has been incorporating into some of their road bikes with the Future Shock system, which is really quite nice on my Roubaix. Of course, the very first thing I thought about the Kinekt was that it looks a bit heavy, but they claim that it's "balanced so extra weight is not noticed." I personally wouldn't care to add the extra weight on a solo road bike, but I can see how it might be a nice addition to a tandem.

[/u
Old 09-19-20, 10:54 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT
I became a Kickstarter backer for the Kinekt Handlerbar suspension stem because my wife has their seatpost and loves it.
How is this differnt from te Softride suspenstion stem from 20 years ago?
Old 09-19-20, 11:25 AM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I’ve been using this on both our tandems for a couple of years: https://redshiftsports.com/products/...uspension-stem
It’s lighter than the Kinect. Works well.
Old 09-19-20, 02:46 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
I don’t think I would like the loss of 1) precision in steering, and 2) efficiency.

if the bar is moving vertically, as well as fore aft as it arcs, it has to result in some loss of precision. And it certainly would be a efficiency loss climbing out of the saddle, similar to a suspension fork on an MTB that isn’t locked out.

Besides we already have the best suspension components: knees and elbows.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-19-20, 02:51 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Exactly!

Originally Posted by scycheng
How is this differnt from te Softride suspenstion stem from 20 years ago?
Hardly a "concept" at all. Then again, most bicycle "innovations" are nothing of the sort. The "Data Book" usually confirms this.