Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good Bicycle Magazine

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Good Bicycle Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 10:36 AM
VinnyBrooklyn

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Allegro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Bicycle Magazine

I just got my first issues of Bicycling magazines and I am very disappointed. It has way to much racing stuff in it and I am guessing it is aimed at Lance Armstrong types. (Sorry if I offend, not my intention).

Is there a good bicycling magazine aimed at 40 year olds that are just getting back into cycling? I want to have maintenance tips and maybe show some road trips with cool landscapes and places to stay for rides? Is there a magazine like this? If not there should be.

Can someone point me in the right direction.
Old 03-14-12, 11:04 AM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two that come to mind as possibilities. Unfortunately they are not monthly.

Bicycle Times, they are more geared to the casual rider/commuter. From the publisher of Dirt Rag. https://www.bicycletimesmag.com/
Paved, from the Bike publishers. This has especially good photography. https://www.pavedmag.com/featured/paved-intro/
I've also been meaning to look into Cycling Plus, which I've seen recommended, but it's British and crazy expensive in the states. it is monthly at least, but ends up being about $40 I think.

Last edited by dpeters11; 03-14-12 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-14-12, 11:41 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've never found a good mag. Buycycling was always marginal and slid further around 2000 when they fired all the old editors and writers and hired kids. I'm sure the kids worked cheaper, though... Assuming you can put up with the writing, a Buycycling subscription is only useful for about a year; after all how many different articles can you write on how to ride longer, faster, stronger, lose weight by racing season, and ride your first century. You are right, it is geared for the Lance-wannabees, and is about 80% ad content. Even the product reviews must be taken with a grain of salt, since they all read as if they were written by the products' sales reps.
Old 03-14-12, 11:52 AM
dpeters11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only reason I still get Bicycling Magazine is that it comes with my LAB membership.
Old 03-14-12, 11:57 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've never found a good mag. Buycycling was always marginal and slid further around 2000 when they fired all the old editors and writers and hired kids............... Even the product reviews must be taken with a grain of salt, since they all read as if they were written by the products' sales reps.
That explains why the magazine reads like it's written for 21 year bros. That style gets old after 1 article. Got tired of reports of sponsored junkets to places I never go, riding bikes few can afford. Reading about the tribulations and suffering of racers makes me wonder why they don't just chuck it and go to cosmetology school. The reviews are suspect. You need to buy at least 1 new bike and gear every year because the old stuff is crarp. Got the point. Subscription lapsed, no need to renew.
Old 03-14-12, 12:00 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dpeters11
Bicycle Times, they are more geared to the casual rider/commuter. From the publisher of Dirt Rag. https://www.bicycletimesmag.com/
Paved, from the Bike publishers. This has especially good photography. https://www.pavedmag.com/featured/paved-intro/
I've also been meaning to look into Cycling Plus, which I've seen recommended, but it's British and crazy expensive in the states. it is monthly at least, but ends up being about $40 I think.
Those are my two faves as well. One of my goals is to get a photo printed in Paved. I think I need to get a disk sent off to them if I actually want it to happen. If I do get one published, you can be sure I'll be bragging about it here.

Some of the English magazines are pretty good as well. Barnes & Noble carries them. They can be a bit pricey on this side of the pond, however.
Old 03-14-12, 12:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Two magazines I have liked, and still subscribe to, are Adventure Cycling and Bicycle Quarterly.

AC is almost worth the price just for Willie Weir's contributions. If you've ever dreamed of taking off for a month or more for a bike ride, grab a copy. (They'll usually send you one issue for free.) Lately, however, they've concentrated more on third world expeditions than first world rambles, so I don't enjoy them as much.

BQ makes for interesting reading if you're into brevets or the history of French bicycles. The editor is getting into hardware production (quasi-replicas of old French bike parts), so I'm losing interest, but I think I've got another year on my subscription.

Bicycle Times is another contender. I haven't quite figured out what their target audience is, unless it's people who've decided their ecological ethos requires them to learn how to ride a bike to save the planet. Unlike the other two, you can often find it at large news stands (such as Barnes and Nobles bookstores).

I'd suggest you get a copy of each of the above, and see how you like them. Maybe two of the BQ, since its focus changes monthly. You may like one, or another. I can't tell you what you'll like any better than I can tell you what your favorite dessert is by knowing what mine is.
Old 03-14-12, 01:11 PM
SuncoastChad

Bikes: Schwinn Fred-mobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like Bicycle Times. I just found them a few months ago - kind of the "Mother Earth News" of bicycle mags!! Their demographic is still developing - I do wish I had the bucks to afford the stuff they test and review!! Sorry, but $30 for a leather "Brooks" "trouser strap" is just a little out of my league!! They do cover the gamut of bicycles not used by the racing crowd!!
Old 03-14-12, 04:41 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Another Bicycle Times suggestion.
Old 03-14-12, 04:51 PM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously, Lance Armstrong types? Why is everyone who participates in the sport cycling a “lance Armstrong Wannabe?” Do you call everyone who ever plays basketball a Michael Jordan wannabe? I expect that kind of thing from the fat redneck in the old pick-up who yells something ignorant about Lance Armstrong as they pass because they aren’t aware that there are other professional cyclists, but not on a cycling discussion forum. Honestly I don’t know what you mean when you say “way to much racing stuff in it and I am guessing it is aimed at Lance Armstrong types” Does “Lance Armstrong type” refer to racers, road cyclists, or something more specific? Are you looking for a magazine with more off-road stuff, or touring/commuting/utility stuff.
The thing that bugs me about cycling is that it’s 80% ads and of the 20% that isn’t ads, most are glowing reviews of products from one of their sponsors. I prefer the more region-specific magazines. I used to read Bike Monkey I lived in Northern California, now I read a free community news paper about outdoor activities that generally has articles about local events, routs, trail advocacy and whatnot. I’m sure there are some in the New York area.
Old 03-14-12, 05:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I read them off the rack, in the big box store, then put them back,
skipping over the stuff that doesn't interest me, saves a lot of time.
Old 03-15-12, 09:11 AM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Momentum magazine: https://www.momentumplanet.com/. Focused on commuting, style, etc., they eschew spandex.
Old 03-15-12, 09:24 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Debusama
Seriously, Lance Armstrong types? Why is everyone who participates in the sport cycling a “lance Armstrong Wannabe?” Do you call everyone who ever plays basketball a Michael Jordan wannabe? I expect that kind of thing from the fat redneck in the old pick-up who yells something ignorant about Lance Armstrong as they pass because they aren’t aware that there are other professional cyclists, but not on a cycling discussion forum. Honestly I don’t know what you mean when you say “way to much racing stuff in it and I am guessing it is aimed at Lance Armstrong types” Does “Lance Armstrong type” refer to racers, road cyclists, or something more specific? Are you looking for a magazine with more off-road stuff, or touring/commuting/utility stuff.
Easy there!!!! Non-sport cyclists only know of one sport cyclist, and his name is Lance Armstrong. When we see somebody on a road bike, clad in spandex, Lance is our only frame of reference. And yes, I could almost as easily say the same thing about Michael Jordan. Definitely Wayne Gretzky. Don't take it personally.
Old 03-15-12, 09:25 AM
AlmostGreenGuy

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Definitely Momentum and Bicycle Times. I can find them both at Barnes and Noble.
Old 03-15-12, 09:34 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the advent of the INTERNET and electronic media stuff, print publications are quickly swirling downwards.

Newspapers, magazines, and journals are all taking a big hit!

Therefore, the future outlook for a good bicycle magazine that caters to any segment of the bicycling community is going to be slim to none. Even if one did appear, it most probably wouldn't last for two major reasons. First of all, most people have become accustomed to "free" electronic media access via the Internet. Also, with the economy tanking, as it is, not too many people have enough disposable income to "splurge" on the luxury of a printed magazine.
Old 03-15-12, 05:40 PM
AlmostGreenGuy

Another interesting read is a magazine called BikeMonkey, sold at Barnes and Noble. It's very nicely made, and the writing is quite intelligent. Not much how-to or what-to-buy, but lots of good writing.

https://www.bikemonkey.net/
Old 03-16-12, 06:55 AM
dpeters11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Available at some B&Ns. I just looked, and if their spreadsheet is current, it's sold at a total of 8 of the 46 B&Ns in the state of NY. Looks like they'll have a digital version, expected with the next issue.
Old 03-16-12, 09:02 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Another vote for Bicycling Times. I think they will have to gets more sponsors those to stick around, seems the high end bike companies won't advertise with them.
Old 03-16-12, 10:14 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by VinnyBrooklyn
Is there a good bicycling magazine aimed at 40 year olds that are just getting back into cycling? I want to have maintenance tips and maybe show some road trips with cool landscapes and places to stay for rides? Is there a magazine like this? If not there should be.

Can someone point me in the right direction.
Forget the magazines. Your best bet is right here at BikeForums.

There are sub-forums here that should be helpful for any kind of rider, new or experienced, young or old, fat or skinny. The stuff you get here is better than any magazine out there. You've got the best heads in the cycling game right here at BF, and they post alot of pretty pictures of every type of bike known to mankind!

So take your time and look around!
Old 03-18-12, 06:45 PM
recumbenttoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy Bicycle Times as well. I liked them better the first year, though. They are slowly starting to slip carbon bikes in and I don't have any interest in those at all. For me I hope they stick with steel and aluminum bikes, and if they have to cover bikes that I cannot afford I hope they are from the NAHBS. Those are at least fun to look at.
Old 03-19-12, 03:58 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Consider this:

If you don't read Bicycling magazine, you won't know how to "get faster in 60 minutes" when raising a family of four and working 80 hours a week...show me an issue in the last 3 years that doesn't have something like this.

Bicycling is really a crappy magazine for a number of reasons, to me the worst is that they're so heavily paid by EVERYONE that I challenge you to read a "review" that actually paints any product as negative. They have no credibility in providing an honest opinion whatsoever. Everything they review "spins up surprisingly fast" or "they thought was a gimmick, but then realized that they couldn't live without it" (like an $80 carbon fiber water bottle holder). Even the "commuter" bikes they review are high-end, sometimes not even realy commuter bikes so much as sports-racing type bikes (like frames that will run 700C X 25m vs. 700c X 23m tires).

Read stuff on the internet -- there are honest opinions there from people who aren't being paid to talk.

Last edited by TurbineBlade; 03-19-12 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-19-12, 07:34 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Bicycling Times sounds like it'd be right up your alley. I got it for a year but don't care for it as I'm more a roadie than a commuter or utility cyclist, and prefer Velo, Road, etc... but then I'm also not 40 years old...I'm 60.
Old 03-19-12, 11:34 AM
VinnyBrooklyn

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Allegro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your suggestions. It is much appreciated! Like I said in my initial post, I said Lance Armstrong "types" not wannabes. I have no plans to put on spandex anytime soon or get one of those bikes that cost more than my house. Been there and done that. Now I guess you could say I am a city cyclist that is looking for good routes around the city. How to repair and some honest reviews on components from time to time. Last week I went to three bike stores before I picked out a new seat for my Fuji to replace the original one.

I love reading about guys that have taken a month off and traveled, that would interest me also. Thinks to put on the bucket list type stuff. You guys have really given me good suggestions and it is much appreciated. I am really surprised that there is no magazine for my type but I will pick up a few of the ones suggested and maybe one will appeal to me.
Old 03-19-12, 12:52 PM
Rodimus_Prime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who wants to read a magazine about riding 10mph?
Old 03-19-12, 01:59 PM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
who wants to read a magazine about riding 10mph?
tortoise racers.