Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Recommendations For Girlfriend UNDER $250

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 03-22-11, 02:34 PM
platnumn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please don't laugh. My girlfriend pays about $3k worth of bills and student loans each month, and refuses to spend more than $250 on a bike.

I myself just purchased a 2009 Trek 7.5fx for about $500 (used), so I am in no position really to sway her, as I am just getting back into biking myself.

Could you recommend a good Hybrid for her at this price (most likely used I figure).

I have seen Trek 700, 750's go for $150-250.

I am currently looking at a Raleigh SC30 for $220.

She is about 5'6, so I figure a 16" or 17" frame will fit her well. Do you guys concur?

PLEASE, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. We are signed up to do the (42 mile) 5 Boro Bike Tour in New York on May 1st (39 days away). We've been doing lots of spinning classes, but nothing beats real-world biking experience obviously.

Please also don't ask me (or her) to spend more -- I know you get more quality components, etc. - but she doesn't care, she doesn't have the money. I'd help her spend more, but I already spend enough on her as it is.

Any suggestions are welcome. As this is my first thread, look out for my 2nd thread to be the introduction thread where I'll post pics of my new (to me) Trek!!

Adam
Old 03-22-11, 07:47 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 61 Posts
Used will be best, and it seems that's already how you want to go. It is hard to recommend specifics, because if we all say something is good, it doesn't mean one will show up used near you. I'd say you should familiarize yourself with the different components out there, and how to tell if a bike is in good shape. Older mountain bikes can also be converted into hybrids with new tires (And possibly other stuff) so that will provide more options to choose from.

I'd pass on the Raleigh unless they come way down on the price, looks like it is very low end.
Old 03-22-11, 11:38 PM
Yip812

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ok, I might get killed for this, but I just replaced my MIYATA 310 road bike with a huffy. Well, I still have the miyata but I wasn't riding it because I don't ride in the drops and that's where the brakes are. I'm eventually gonna change out the bars (or chop em) and put knobbier tires on it and make it a trail bike.

The huffy is this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-L-Sav...gundy/12517030

I got the mens version, even though I'm female, but they're essentially the same size.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but it rides nicer than the miyata, and is at least as fast. I'm not gonna trust it for rough road situations, just because it's a huffy, but for general road riding, it's pretty awesome. Kinda heavy, but I don't care, it rides nice, I'm happy.
Old 03-23-11, 12:37 AM
LongIslandTom
Señor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at NY Craigslist, saw two possible candidates:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/bik/2279520362.html This one looks like something that will keep up with your Trek 7.5FX-- 700C road wheels, rapid fire shifters (7-speed Shimano Acera rear derailleur it looks like), flat-bar road bike. Might be a bit big for your GF, but if she is going to do 40 miles on a used bike I think that's as good as you are going to get for under $250. You will have to go out to Hauppauge on Long Island to get this one though.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/2279333888.html This one is a hybrid with a front suspension. It's not going to be as fast as that flat-bar road bike above, but if she has good conditioning 40 miles should be doable on this bike.
Old 03-23-11, 09:46 AM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys (and girl),

Thanks so much for the replies so far. I was actually looking at a Trek Multitrack 7300 that was posted on March 18th, but it was for $250 and the year was unknown. This other 7300 is cheaper and may be in even better shape.

Yip, I will have to familiarize myself with the Huffy, as I worry about the longevity of some of the parts that it comes with. The bike looks good though. I also appreciate you mentioning that it is a mens bike but works for women -- she can handle a bigger bike with a higher crossbar, for sure.

LongIslandTom, the 18" may be too big for her, as she's going to want to use the bike even after the bike tour, for leisure and whatnot. I don't know if she would like the bigger bike on a long-term basis, but then again I guess she'd get used to it!

I am inquiring about the the 7300 WSD and will update you on any responses I get. I really appreciate the advice thus far!!

Adam
Old 03-23-11, 09:47 AM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrowana
Used will be best, and it seems that's already how you want to go. It is hard to recommend specifics, because if we all say something is good, it doesn't mean one will show up used near you. I'd say you should familiarize yourself with the different components out there, and how to tell if a bike is in good shape. Older mountain bikes can also be converted into hybrids with new tires (And possibly other stuff) so that will provide more options to choose from.

I'd pass on the Raleigh unless they come way down on the price, looks like it is very low end.
Sorry, I forgot to reply to you also!

Thanks for the recc about the Raleigh, I really was not sure. I am trying to familiarize myself with different components, but it seems that everything is Shimano, and it's hard to pick out the differences unless I reference them over and over; that's part of the learning process though, I guess!
Old 03-23-11, 04:43 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Originally Posted by platnumn
Sorry, I forgot to reply to you also!

Thanks for the recc about the Raleigh, I really was not sure. I am trying to familiarize myself with different components, but it seems that everything is Shimano, and it's hard to pick out the differences unless I reference them over and over; that's part of the learning process though, I guess!
Well, the components are about the same as on a Wal-Mart bike, they work, but not the greatest. I'd try and go for at least Acera, the current 7300 comes with Alivio, which is a step above Acera.
Old 03-23-11, 06:42 PM
ciao_bella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think she'd be happy with a Trek Multitrack (Comes in 700 = basic model, 730, 750). I have a Trek 730 Multitrack from 1997 that I LOVE to ride, it's a very comfortable bike with steel frame. I much prefer steel to aluminum frame for a smoother ride. The Trek Multitracks were great bikes!!!
Ciao
Old 03-24-11, 03:33 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Please don't laugh. My girlfriend pays about $3k worth of bills and student loans each month, and refuses to spend more than $250 on a bike.
$3000 on bills and student loans???
DAMN! No offence but that just sounds out of this world to me.
Here in Belgium I know of no person spending $36000 per year on education.

Good luck finding a bike for $250 ... if you go used make sure you know what to look for and especially what faults or defects to spot.
Old 03-24-11, 08:37 AM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ciao_bella
I think she'd be happy with a Trek Multitrack (Comes in 700 = basic model, 730, 750). I have a Trek 730 Multitrack from 1997 that I LOVE to ride, it's a very comfortable bike with steel frame. I much prefer steel to aluminum frame for a smoother ride. The Trek Multitracks were great bikes!!!
Ciao
Thanks so much for this. I was actually looking at the Multitrack 700's, they seem nice. I was unable to pinpoint the year of one that I was looking at, so I became discouraged.

Originally Posted by Arrowana
Well, the components are about the same as on a Wal-Mart bike, they work, but not the greatest. I'd try and go for at least Acera, the current 7300 comes with Alivio, which is a step above Acera.
Thanks for this! I am already getting more familiar with the names / tiers of parts!

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
$3000 on bills and student loans???
DAMN! No offence but that just sounds out of this world to me.
Here in Belgium I know of no person spending $36000 per year on education.

Good luck finding a bike for $250 ... if you go used make sure you know what to look for and especially what faults or defects to spot.
Haha.... She just got out of MEDICAL school...maybe that would explain it. She also pays over $400/mo on a car, as she bought instead of leased. Besides, here in America, it is not uncommon for schools to cost $40,000 per year.
Old 03-24-11, 03:32 PM
Max C.

Bikes: Schwinn OR2 Hybrid Bike 28" - Schwinn LeTour II 27"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Schwinn has been pretty good to me. It was about $300 before I started swapping tires and such. Do you plan on going off road at all or are all of your rides going to be on road? In my opinion and experience, even the cheaper big box store bikes tend to be just fine on road & on hiking trails, but iffy for real trails. If it's just a road going bike, maybe she needs to buy a cheaper bike before being able to appreciate a nicer bike, or maybe it'll suit her needs just fine. You may want to look at a used bike on craigslist or check out a local Bike Co-op.

Here's a listing of NY bike co-ops: https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/...tions#New_York
Old 03-24-11, 05:00 PM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Max C.
My Schwinn has been pretty good to me. It was about $300 before I started swapping tires and such. Do you plan on going off road at all or are all of your rides going to be on road? In my opinion and experience, even the cheaper big box store bikes tend to be just fine on road & on hiking trails, but iffy for real trails. If it's just a road going bike, maybe she needs to buy a cheaper bike before being able to appreciate a nicer bike, or maybe it'll suit her needs just fine. You may want to look at a used bike on craigslist or check out a local Bike Co-op.

Here's a listing of NY bike co-ops: https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/...tions#New_York

Thanks for this, a lot of good points in here! I take it she's doing most of her riding on the street, and nothing else really...maybe some trails.

I think we're going to pick this one up on Saturday.... It's a Trek Multitrack 7100 WSD.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE YEAR OF THIS BIKE? I can't find it on Bikepedia based on the color scheme!!!

Here are the links to the bike:
https://longisland.craigslist.org/bik/2272757269.html
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4#ht_813wt_906

Here are some pictures:

Thanks for any feedback / input!!
Old 03-24-11, 06:46 PM
LongIslandTom
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE YEAR OF THIS BIKE? I can't find it on Bikepedia based on the color scheme!!!
That's either a 2004 or a 2005. Those are the two years when Trek used that color scheme on their 7100.

I would urge you to reconsider. Your GF is going to be hard-pressed to keep up with your 7.5FX on that bike. Definitely check out that Raleigh flat-bar road bike I linked to earlier. I think the standover height should work for your GF, and if that bike's handlebars are too forward for her (too far a reach), you can shorten the reach by putting in a shorter stem. She will have a much easier time keeping up with your FX on that bike.

I can sympathize on the student loans. As a health care professional I'm also paying close to four figures per month for my student loans. Hope she didn't spend money like a medical doctor while she is in medical school, because sooner or later when the loans are due she is going to have to live like a medical student.
Old 03-24-11, 10:39 PM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LongIslandTom
That's either a 2004 or a 2005. Those are the two years when Trek used that color scheme on their 7100.

I would urge you to reconsider. Your GF is going to be hard-pressed to keep up with your 7.5FX on that bike. Definitely check out that Raleigh flat-bar road bike I linked to earlier. I think the standover height should work for your GF, and if that bike's handlebars are too forward for her (too far a reach), you can shorten the reach by putting in a shorter stem. She will have a much easier time keeping up with your FX on that bike.

I can sympathize on the student loans. As a health care professional I'm also paying close to four figures per month for my student loans. Hope she didn't spend money like a medical doctor while she is in medical school, because sooner or later when the loans are due she is going to have to live like a medical student.
Damn Tom, why are you trying to make me reconsider at the last minute like this?! =P. Just kidding, i appreciate the advice. But in the post above with the Schwinn, you had also linked to a Trek Multitrack 7300 (which the link is now dead for, ironically). That's part of the reason I thought the 7100 would be fine; and it's a 16".

I am not really concerned about her keeping up with me, as there is a 3rd doing the race with us so we'll all be sticking together. I am concerned that an 18" may be too big for her for everyday riding, but I do like that bike.

Could you just explain why you dislike the 7100 when you had previously linked to a 7300? Poorer parts? Bigger tires? I wish the Schwinn was just 2 inches smaller ---- I would HATE to recommend she spend money on a bike and then being unhappy with the fit after several rides.
Old 03-24-11, 10:59 PM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked around more, and I found a GREAT looking Specialized and Schwinn. I don't know the model names for either, or the size of the first one (I have emailed the seller to request model, year, and size).

Here are the links, let me know if you have any opinion!!

Specialized - $200
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/2284653876.html

Schwinn - $300 (offered $250)
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/2283850485.html
Old 03-24-11, 11:38 PM
LongIslandTom
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 7300 I linked to previously is a later model, around 2008-2009, and it was equipped with rapid-fire shifters.

The older 7100 like the 2004-2005 you found has very sloppy grip-twist shifters. Those lower-end grifters suck compared to rapid-fire finger shifters. There will be too much play in those grifters and shifting will be guesswork.

The step-through 7100s also seem to have a heavier frame weight than the more traditional diamond-frame 7100s. Throw on that heavy suspension fork and suspension seatpost and the sloppy grifters, that bike is not going to be very pleasant for a 40-mile-long ride.

For 40 miles, a lighter bike with no suspension and lighter wheels like the Raleigh I linked to would stack the odds in your GF's favor. JMHO.

Not enough details in that Craigslist ad for the $200 Specialized for me to comment, and that $300 Schwinn you linked to also uses cheap grifters (IMHO NOT worth anywhere near $300).
Old 03-25-11, 07:21 AM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LongIslandTom
The 7300 I linked to previously is a later model, around 2008-2009, and it was equipped with rapid-fire shifters.

The older 7100 like the 2004-2005 you found has very sloppy grip-twist shifters. Those lower-end grifters suck compared to rapid-fire finger shifters. There will be too much play in those grifters and shifting will be guesswork.

The step-through 7100s also seem to have a heavier frame weight than the more traditional diamond-frame 7100s. Throw on that heavy suspension fork and suspension seatpost and the sloppy grifters, that bike is not going to be very pleasant for a 40-mile-long ride.

For 40 miles, a lighter bike with no suspension and lighter wheels like the Raleigh I linked to would stack the odds in your GF's favor. JMHO.

Not enough details in that Craigslist ad for the $200 Specialized for me to comment, and that $300 Schwinn you linked to also uses cheap grifters (IMHO NOT worth anywhere near $300).
Ah I see what you mean now. I really appreciate you taking your time to explain that to a new guy like me.

In regards to the "Grifters" on the Schwinn, do you mean grip-shifters? The ad says it has EZ Fire 21spd shifters -- aren't those triggers? Would you say that bike has any other semi-quality parts that would make it a little more worth the price? Anyway that guy may only come down to $275, so if you (or anyone else who happens to be looking at this thread) don't think it's worth it, I'll pass... really good looking bike though!

I showed my girlfriend the Raleigh, explained to her why it would be ideal for her situation, but she was uncomfortable with the high bar and prefers something that "swoops" a little lower (her word, not mine =) ). Shoot, it's her money, I just really want to help her get something that works.

Tom with all the advice you're giving me I may just have to buy you a drink!
Old 03-25-11, 08:48 AM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Specialized is a Vienna, not sure if it's a Vienna 2,3,4,5.....
Old 03-25-11, 08:51 AM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

I think the Specialized would be a great choice, despite the lack of info. Looking at the pics and the original price, it is probably a Specialized Sirrus, which was one of my favorites when I tested out a number of new hybrids. It probably does have rapidfires, but even if it doesn't, at that price you could upgrade to them.
Old 03-25-11, 09:32 AM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The specialized is a Vienna, and it is a 2010 or 2009.

Although it is listed as a Womens bike, I made the seller look @ Bikepedia, and he has now confirmed that it IS in fact a MEN's bike, but he says it fit his girlfriend who is listed at 5'5 (mine is 5'6'). Now, I don't exactly trust a guy who didn't even realize he had a Men's bike, but I feel like it's worth a serious look, especially at a $200 price tag. Do you all concur?
Old 03-26-11, 02:28 PM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did it! Picked up the Vienna -- I think it's a 2010 in green. Here is a stock photo of it:

We paid $200, and the bike is like new. Apparently has only been riden 4 or 5 times, but there is some cosmetic scratches here and there that would indicate the owner did not truly care about keeping it mint. It seems to ride great, brakes are STRONG, and shifts are butter smooth!

Here's the bikepedia page:
https://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...%201&Type=bike

Will post some pics in as soon as I have em!!
Old 03-26-11, 03:22 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looks like a girl's bike to me! Good find, great price!
Old 03-26-11, 07:54 PM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha thanks, it's a Men's size Small, so it fits her (5'6") perfectly. Components aren't the best, but the bike is aluminum and it rides well, should be nice!! Will take advice on any initial upgrades she should make... Flip the stem/handlebars?
Old 03-26-11, 08:17 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No flip, no fast or long rides. Keep it fun and easy. Let her set the pace.
Old 03-26-11, 10:52 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

haha thanks, it's a Men's size Small, so it fits her (5'6") perfectly. Components aren't the best, but the bike is aluminum and it rides well, should be nice!! Will take advice on any initial upgrades she should make... Flip the stem/handlebars?
I'd say replace the saddle if necessary, get water bottle cages and any other accessories you want, and you should be set.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.