Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Hey NYC - Something to Look Forward to: The 2011 TD Bank Five Boro Bike Tour

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Hey NYC - Something to Look Forward to: The 2011 TD Bank Five Boro Bike Tour

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 02:16 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by David325
I had a GREAT time on the ride! A couple friends and I stayed overnight at a relative's on 69th street, then rode over to central park to join the ride. We joined up towards the front (watched the leading police cars go by), and didn't have a single delay. No walking anywhere.

At that shrinking down to one lane, I thought to myself "wow, that's going to be a problem later." I guess it was. We were at the festival, rode back to 69th street, took a short nap and drove home to southwest CT. I was just about home when I heard on the radio people were still stuck! Certainly there were some major organizational problems, but my ride went totally smoothly. Hopefully next year will be run better- I think the idea to limit participation is a good one.
This is the conclusion that the wife & I came to, if we do it again next year we are just going to pick up the front at the top of Central Park and go that way, it was truly messy if you were mid pack.
Old 05-02-11, 02:47 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I didn't go this year because it sold out in 2 days. Now that I'm reading the reviews I'm glad I didn't. Since I live in Brooklyn it would have been doubly frustrating to be stuck at that point on the Gowanus. It is bad enough in a car. I'd have gone off at the Costco and maybe worked my way down to the bridge, but more likely just gone home. I agree, a few bottlenecks at the start is one thing, but to have a huge bottleneck near the end when everyone spreads out is just ridiculous. And a 2 hour wait for the ferry? Usually you get on in about half an hour and there is no backup other than having to wait for them to load.

I did my loops in Prospect Park instead.
Old 05-02-11, 02:57 PM
billm45s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few observations: Running an event with 32,000 cyclists logistically is quite difficult and sometimes outside factors will negatively affect the event. Also, many additional cyclists do not register and just try to jump the ride and cause issues, especially at check points (you would be shocked at the numbers trying to get on to the VNB and also at the attitude displayed by some of them). And though I understand why registered riders jump the ride past the start point that behavior unfortunately also contributes to difficulties.

Planning for the event occurs months in advance and although there are updates, it is not like Bike New York can automatically make changes, even when they anticipate potential issues. Also recall that much of the event is staffed by dedicated volunteer cyclists and those who volunteered were faced with and handled a more difficult situation this year with an amazing amount of grace.

There was no doubt that given the late construction plans that the Gowanus was going to be an issue this year. The issue was mostly how badly would it bottleneck at the belt parkway. With riders of all levels and this being a family event – once the State decided to go ahead with the construction, it was just a matter of how bad the delays would be. The earlier you got there, the shorter the delays. But, because of the Gowanus, the Tour itself ended over two hours later than scheduled.

The Gowanus should be a 2011 issue only and in 2012 the Tour should go back to the regular issues related to 32,000 riders (like the Central Park bottleneck). In the end, the best way to think about the 5BBT is not so much in terms of the ride itself, but more in terms of an event and the unique aspects of the day.
Old 05-02-11, 05:17 PM
Laika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No knock on the marshals... they played the hand they were dealt the best they could. While I get that the Gowanus bottleneck was the result of a late change, that was far from the only problem. Even without stopping for refreshment, it took a long time (far too long) to get through Astoria park... unique to the rest stops, there did not appear to be a no-stop option there. pretty much every uphill was met with an unplanned dismount, as many cyclists seemed to prefer to walk their bikes uphill. and while i get that it's a unique event... it's a unique cycling event. If you leave out the ride portion of the event, it's like the worst street fair ever, although with free bananas. If the ride part of the event is awful- which IMO it was, yesterday, the rest of the day is a pretty small hook on which to hang your hat.
Old 05-02-11, 05:18 PM
Laika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and fwiw, while I saw line jumpers (and who can blame them, honestly) i didn't see anyone without a vest, though I bailed at cannonball park... but given previous experience, I can't imagine non-vested riders causing much of a bottleneck at that point in the ride.
Old 05-02-11, 05:58 PM
FrankieV

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Judging from what I read here and other people I've spoken to, the closer to the front you were, the clearer the sailing.
I'm also guessing that if you were bringing up the rear you had an easier time too.
Lots of things were different this year.
The old saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Someone done fixed it.
Old 05-02-11, 06:18 PM
NateRod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laika
No knock on the marshals... they played the hand they were dealt the best they could. While I get that the Gowanus bottleneck was the result of a late change, that was far from the only problem. Even without stopping for refreshment, it took a long time (far too long) to get through Astoria park... unique to the rest stops, there did not appear to be a no-stop option there. pretty much every uphill was met with an unplanned dismount, as many cyclists seemed to prefer to walk their bikes uphill. and while i get that it's a unique event... it's a unique cycling event. If you leave out the ride portion of the event, it's like the worst street fair ever, although with free bananas. If the ride part of the event is awful- which IMO it was, yesterday, the rest of the day is a pretty small hook on which to hang your hat.
fully backing all of this.
Old 05-02-11, 06:58 PM
platnumn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a great time, aside from walking on the Gowanus -- I yelled at a bunch of cutters and didn't really feel bad about it at all.

I was with my girlfriend (her 1st time) and my other friend who rented a bike (his 2nd time). The last time I did it was about 10 years ago, and I don't remember walking AT ANY TIME.

I am writing a strongly-worded letter to the event managers, this was absolutely ridiculous. And I am not even mentioning the ferry ride back, where we were crammed in the car-carriage like cattle and endured some truly cold winds. WE ARE NOT ANIMALS!!!

I LOVED the enthusiasm of the volunteers, and while I did feel like this event was seriously poorly planned, I am glad I got back in the saddle and will plan on doing it again this year.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other rides to do in the area?

Thanks!!
Old 05-02-11, 08:54 PM
ScottRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by platnumn
The Tour de Bronx is great and free (October). Tour de Brooklyn is coming up in June, the Tour de Queens is July. Details are at the TA website.

Out of pure curiosity, and also to help with some of the letters to TA, what suggestions do you folks have for improving the pace and planning of future 5BBTs? For instance, something that struck me as a good idea would be to separate serious riders from tour-ers, maybe by having them start somewhere further towards midtown.
Old 05-02-11, 10:50 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Thanks!!
In the past I have ridden and enjoyed, the Twin Lights Ride, The North Fork Century, Escape NY, and the Wounded Warrior ride in the Hamptons.
Old 05-03-11, 12:32 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RhythmRider
This was my second year "riding" in this tour....It was more like a walk-a-thon....we walked in Manhattan, we walked in Queens, and boy oh boy did we walk in Brooklyn! I bailed at the Verrazano Bridge, so I did not walk in Staten Island. I feel sorry for the first timers, it wasn't like this last year.

I and many others felt cheated by what took place this year...the construction was not a surprise to the organizers but they failed to adequately assess the issue and and provide a viable solution, causing a potentially dangerous situation for the riders. Many crossed the BQE and turned back, one guy called a buddy who stopped his vehicle in the left lane of the w/bound BQE and loaded three bikes onto his 4x4!

Every rider that participated in this event should write to TA and the sponsors to express their dissatisfaction and be issued a refund. I am done with this event... perhaps the "Tour de Queens, Bronx and Brooklyn" may be better events.
Didn't do the ride this year because, fortunately for me, it closed out before I could register. Each year the price goes up $10 and it closes out faster. At that rate Bike New York (not TA) has little incentive to change.
Old 05-03-11, 12:46 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

Thanks!!
Quirky and fun free rides: https://times-up.org/index.php?page=rides-events

Casual free rides: https://www.5bbc.org/rides.shtml
Old 05-03-11, 06:21 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I only did the Tour de Brooklyn once and it was way too sloooowwww. Even my twins, then about 10 years old, complained. The Tour de Bronx was fun the first few times I did it, but the last time it was also too slow.

The NYC Century is probably the best ride for seeing the city, and depending on how much of it you do, you see a lot of the city, and a lot you'd never care to see. It isn't on closed roads, but makes good use of the off road bike paths, such as the Belt Parkway in 2 sections, Prospect Park, Forest Park, the path along LI sound by LGA etc...
Old 05-03-11, 06:40 PM
billm45s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would agree that the NYC Century is a great ride that presents many options.

Also, you still have time to register for the Montauk Century (3 options and great support - May 15, 2011). Go to 5bbc.org. And don't forget that the 5bbc runs free dayrides at all different levels every weekend. Again go to 5bbc.org and check out dayrides. Lots of options listed through June and new rides will be added. Further, most 5bbc rides are very social, inclusive and fun.
Old 05-04-11, 06:48 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
The NYC Century is probably the best ride for seeing the city, and depending on how much of it you do, you see a lot of the city, ...
Agreed. Missed it last year due to a car accident the day before I was to travel back to NJ, but looking forward to it this year.
Old 05-04-11, 07:33 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I stopped doing this years ago because it became more of a hassle than a nice bike ride.
Old 05-04-11, 10:00 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They could make it better by doing staggered starts and having the faster riders in the first few waves of riders. When I did it you walked to Central Park because the police was allowing cars to cross 6th Avenue.
Old 05-09-11, 10:09 AM
Laika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fwiw, this was the response I got to the email I sent expressing disappointment:

Dear Rider:
During some parts of the Tour on Sunday, there was a regrettable lack of communication to riders, which caused delays and inconvenienced some of you.
We want to respond to your questions and complaints in detail. Over the course of many months, we made plans and decisions about how to proceed, taking into consideration construction schedules and other outside information.
Our plans worked well for most of the day. However, we now know that the plans were neither adequate nor flawlessly executed. We are sorry to those of you who endured discomfort, frustration and inconvenience from the bottlenecks, as well as for the lack of real-time information.
I know that my words cannot change the bad experience had by those of you who were in the latter part of the ride. Please know that Bike New York will do everything in its power to ensure that these situations are never repeated, even if it means reducing the number of participants in the Tour.
The feedback we have received has not only been alarming but very helpful as we move forward to improve this event.
We are taking this matter seriously and hear the comments loud and clear. We don't have all the answers right now, but will continue to work in the weeks and months ahead to prevent situations like the ones you experienced from occurring again. We have learned and are still learning a great deal about Sunday’s Tour. Rest assured: We want all of our riders to have a wonderful experience on the Tour.

Our goal is for not most, but all, riders to have a wonderful day. We are responding directly to all inquiries sent to info@bikenewyork.org. In addition, in a couple of weeks we will be sending a survey for direct feedback regarding your experience.
We would like to thank all 32,000 riders who were with us on May 1 for your feedback and support during this process.
Sincerely,

Ken Podziba
President and CEO, Bike New York
Old 05-11-11, 07:19 AM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These rides almost all suck. Sorry to say it. The tour de bronx last year was a joke. friggin ride started an hour and a half after it was supposed to! Then there was a hold up at the Sheridan which is understandable since they are shutting it down for bike traffic. then there was a hold up at the first rest stop and at another place. many of us just said "FU" and essentially went out and finished the ride on our own. These rides are nice ideas but the execution is almost always terrible. I'll stick to the big rides. The nyc century is an awesome ride that takes place within the 5 boros and has various distances for those who want to do less than a century.
Old 05-11-11, 09:52 PM
dendawg

Originally Posted by motobecane69
These rides almost all suck. Sorry to say it. The tour de bronx last year was a joke. friggin ride started an hour and a half after it was supposed to! Then there was a hold up at the Sheridan which is understandable since they are shutting it down for bike traffic. then there was a hold up at the first rest stop and at another place. many of us just said "FU" and essentially went out and finished the ride on our own. These rides are nice ideas but the execution is almost always terrible. I'll stick to the big rides. The nyc century is an awesome ride that takes place within the 5 boros and has various distances for those who want to do less than a century.
The Gran Fondo was great, and well organized, other than a shortage of bathrooms in Piermont. My first century and it only took me a little over 10 hours total time. The climbing was advertised at around 6000', but my bike computer showed almost 8400'. My knees still ache.
Old 05-12-11, 05:15 PM
FrankieV

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
The Gran Fondo was great, and well organized, other than a shortage of bathrooms in Piermont. My first century and it only took me a little over 10 hours total time. The climbing was advertised at around 6000', but my bike computer showed almost 8400'. My knees still ache.
I hope they host it later in the season next year and NOT on Mother's Day.
A little too early in the season to do a century up and down 9W (for me anyway).
Old 05-12-11, 09:42 PM
dendawg

Originally Posted by FrankieV
I hope they host it later in the season next year and NOT on Mother's Day.
A little too early in the season to do a century up and down 9W (for me anyway).
I think they posted May 20, 2012 for the next Gran Fondo.