Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

High priced vintage BSOs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

High priced vintage BSOs

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 07:57 AM
Cheddarpecker

Bikes: Fuji Allegro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
High priced vintage BSOs

I should have linked to the ad, but didn't think of it until now. Someone had posted a Texas Rangerette on our local Craigslist for $200. It was updated all summer. Last week, they updated threatening to throw it in the dumpster if nobody wanted to give $75 for it with original flat tires and faded paint.

Someone must have bought it, because it's gone.

So now we have this guy.

Western Flyer ladies bike, flat tires, $500. I'm sure some sort of illicit substance was involved in the appraisal. It's a perfectly good $10 lawn ornament if you ask me. $100+ Denalis aside, do people ask crazy prices for junk in your market?
Old 09-14-16, 08:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
All the time. Craigslist in the D/FW area is filled with overvalued moderately semi-interesting ancient bikes dubbed "vintage" and, if not completely eaten through with rust, "minty". Mostly lawn ornaments or wall decorations for a 1980s style TGIF/Chili's/Applebee's type restaurant.

It's not easy to find functional older bikes or classics for under $200 here. I see people claiming to have snagged all sorts of treasures for $10-$50. Never seen it happen here. Usually it's $200 minimum for any functional road bike-shaped thing; $100 minimum for any hybrid-shaped bike. Occasionally some decent bikes appear in there, but not often considering the size of this market and the many, many bike shops.

I looked for months before settling on a Univega Via Carisma that was pretty close to what I wanted to try next, and wouldn't demand too much money, effort or parts swaps to suit me. Probably paid too much but after at least six months of poring over Craigslist weekly, and peering at every garage and yard sale I found, I gave up on finding those under $100 jewels folks keep bragging about.
Old 09-14-16, 08:24 AM
Cheddarpecker

Bikes: Fuji Allegro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It takes everything in me not to contact these people with stupid questions and comments. Our local bicycle page is full of one idiot's cheesy motorcycle collection from the mid 2000s. Do you think he wonders why he's the only one, or why nobody shows interest? Been there for months now. As to the $500 Flyer, I'm sorely tempted to inform them that there's another one not far away listed for a fraction of their price, and it holds air! A steal at $175 if they want to get into this kind of market.

Must not touch the poop.

I won't give up, but I won't hold my breath either.
Old 09-14-16, 08:59 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Why would you care? If they're out of line, it won't sell. The market judges these things collectively.

Personally I find the CL police far more annoying than silly prices...who gave you the moral authority to determine what someone can, or can't, ask for something in a private transaction?
Old 09-14-16, 09:29 AM
hankaye

Bikes: '95 Specilized StumpjumperFS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OP, Howdy;

Thinkin' that maybe they want to dicker and that's their start ...
you counter with what you'd willing to pay for it then the fun begins
y'all may end up near the middle or just walk away ...

hank
Old 09-14-16, 10:11 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
A bike is worth what someone will pay. Craigslist is a free resource. Therefore, it costs the person nothing to leave it there at a high price, waiting for an offer or for someone looking for that exact bike to bite.

That, and people have this notion that because something is old, it is valuable. I blame Antiques Roadshow. They probably saw something that vaguely resembled it valued at a high end of $500 one time, and knew that is what theirs was worth too.

Originally Posted by canklecat
It's not easy to find functional older bikes or classics for under $200 here. I see people claiming to have snagged all sorts of treasures for $10-$50. Never seen it happen here. Usually it's $200 minimum for any functional road bike-shaped thing; $100 minimum for any hybrid-shaped bike. Occasionally some decent bikes appear in there, but not often considering the size of this market and the many, many bike shops.
I see it from time to time, but it is rare and you have to be ready to move. Thrift shops are a much better bet around me, the flippers can't watch them easily. My experience on CL is similar to yours.
Old 09-14-16, 10:47 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Our local Craigslist is inundated with old Tank bikes. Mostly going for an arm and a leg. Perhaps only a couple of sellers. I "hide" them as quickly as they pop up, but more seem to show up, or the seller is just creating new ads when the old junkers don't sell.

Lots of old Ten-Speeds too, with prices all over the place (and a couple of gems mixed in).
Old 09-14-16, 11:08 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
The high prices keep me married. They're just high enough to keep me from seriously considering them and makes me wait for the right deal to come along. Of course, I'm so frugal I'll never see that deal.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-14-16, 11:31 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Why would you care? If they're out of line, it won't sell. The market judges these things collectively.

Personally I find the CL police far more annoying than silly prices...who gave you the moral authority to determine what someone can, or can't, ask for something in a private transaction?
The Moral Majority on Bike Forums.

Also what about the opposite. A very clean bike worth every penny of $200 and it sits for a bit.

I refuse to mention the bike on here but I have attempted to trade a nice mountain bike on CL and all I get are goofs.

As usual there is more than one side to the story.

I have never bought a bike on CL. But sold a couple hundred on there.
Old 09-14-16, 11:57 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Really, who cares? People are delusional about all kinds of stuff, and in any hobby you can find someone trying to sell junk at high prices. It's a non-issue.
Old 09-14-16, 12:33 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Could be the lister is just lonely and waiting for a helpful person start up a correspondence on based on likely selling price.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●