Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the EcoHelmet?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Thoughts on the EcoHelmet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-16, 01:18 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Your lack of experience outside your bubble must be the reason you don't realize that people rent bikes (and use bike share programs) for many different reasons. For example, tourists (including those from other countries) use our bike share program or rent bikes while in town. It has nothing to do with not wanting to own a bike. It has to do with the practicality of travelling with a bike, possibly from city to city. And not wanting to own a bike but still ride is not a "problem." Some people have very small apartments that cannot accommodate bikes. Some people use bikes so infrequently that it makes economic sense to use a bike share program.
+1 - I work at the Nike and they recently started a huge bike sharing program in Portland called Biketown. I have a few friends who would love to own a bike but their tiny 400 sq ft studio doesn't allow them to do so.

https://www.biketownpdx.com/
Old 09-19-16, 01:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It's very festive.

Regardless what you think of helmet laws or bike shares or this helmet, it should be obvious to anyone that a helmet law sabotages bike share use.
Helmet laws sabotage bike use by the general public, not just bike share use.
Old 09-19-16, 01:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Some folks rent bikes because buying bikes (in some cities, NYC being one) is tantamount to donating bikes to the Cycling Thieves Support Fund, and no thief is going to steal a rent-a-bike.

If I lived in nYC where so many people live a short walk from a subway, a rent-a-bike could be really useful so that i could do short trips (errands, to and from the subway to the job) quicker than walking and cheaper and easier than trying to catch trains---do the main haul on the train and then bike the rest.

As a tourist, i would Never bring a bike to NYC---way too much hassle, way too much risk.

I did see a surprising amount of people on rent-a-bikes. I'd have thought NYC was for hardcore cyclists only, but I saw a lot more folks in casual clothes on Citibikes than on the track bikes and racing bikes I used to see as the most common NYC cycling conveyances.
Old 09-19-16, 01:20 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Wonder how sweat or rain affects the product comfort or effectiveness?

Also Shiffer, CEO and founder of design consultancy Spitfire Industry, told CNNMoney "You could buy a helmet for $5 or less, and when you're done with the ride, you'd put it back in a recycle bin located at each station." Sounds pretty darn expensive for one time use.
Agreed. I've never rented a bike before. Do they usually include the cost of the helmet in the rental? If not I would see the $5 one time use cost as the same as a rental.
Old 09-19-16, 01:22 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Some folks rent bikes because buying bikes (in some cities, NYC being one) is tantamount to donating bikes to the Cycling Thieves Support Fund, and no thief is going to steal a rent-a-bike.

If I lived in nYC where so many people live a short walk from a subway, a rent-a-bike could be really useful so that i could do short trips (errands, to and from the subway to the job) quicker than walking and cheaper and easier than trying to catch trains---do the main haul on the train and then bike the rest.

As a tourist, i would Never bring a bike to NYC---way too much hassle, way too much risk.

I did see a surprising amount of people on rent-a-bikes. I'd have thought NYC was for hardcore cyclists only, but I saw a lot more folks in casual clothes on Citibikes than on the track bikes and racing bikes I used to see as the most common NYC cycling conveyances.
Did you hear about the NYC guy who rode his Citibike across the USA? No word on if he finished. Didn't search long enough to find out.

NYC Man Riding Citi Bike Cross Country - velojoy
Old 09-19-16, 01:22 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Your lack of experience outside your bubble must be the reason.........
You know me? Or do you just image to can visualize in your mind... as to who and what I am and what my experiences are?

people rent bikes (and use bike share programs) for many different reasons. For example, tourists (including those from other countries) use our bike share program or rent bikes while in town. It has nothing to do with not wanting to own a bike. ...... Some people use bikes so infrequently that it makes economic sense to use a bike share program.
So you know those people who rent bikes?..... the same way you know me? Or do you just image to can visualize in your mind... as to who and what they are and what their experiences are?

I know... surveys have shown... many tourists have shown interest in the "rental bike attraction". That, by definition makes them a fad. The infrequent user... hasn't (according to the surveys I seen) proven to be much of a line item.

I sure hope your not insulted by what I believe to be an honest assessment of what is in cities (including mine) everywhere. I myself... am NOT anti-fad. I am sorry if you are.
Old 09-19-16, 01:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Also Shiffer, CEO and founder of design consultancy Spitfire Industry, told CNNMoney "You could buy a helmet for $5 or less, and when you're done with the ride, you'd put it back in a recycle bin located at each station." Sounds pretty darn expensive for one time use.
Sanitation is the real issue with reused helmets. I can cope with a little sweat, but i have no idea what other issues the previous user might have had. Bedbugs in the hotels, lice in the helmets?

Someone would have to collect all the helmets (and restock fresh ones,) pull all the pads and sterilize them, and steam the shell, then reassemble all the helmets and redistribute them (which, because of bulk, would necessitate a motor vehicle) which would be an awful lot of labor and time. Not sure the guy has done the math on that one.
Old 09-19-16, 01:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Trailhead bike rentals have become a destination in and of themselves here in suburban Atlanta.

People dress in athletic clothes, drive to the trailhead, rent the bikes and go riding on the MUP for a few hours. Maybe they get off the MUP a little to explore or get some food but the whole thing is an activity apart from any utilitarian use of the bikes, similar to going to the movies or a hike in the woods. It's just something else enjoyable to do.

I rarely see rental bike users wearing helmets. My guess is that the paper helmets satisfy some lawyer's requirement. They probably come with a warning that bikes are dangerous, you should wear your helmet, etc. Most people are going to put them in their pocket or attach them to the rack and eventually throw them in the garbage.

-Tim-
Old 09-19-16, 01:30 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I know... surveys have shown... many tourists have shown interest in the "rental bike attraction". That, by definition makes them a fad.
Umm ... no ... that makes them a tourist attraction.

Like I say, last time I was in NYC is saw a lot of people who appeared to be commuting on Citibikes. I also saw a lot of groups of what appeared to be tourists, but what surprised me was people who seemed to be using them for regular transport.

Just an informal observation from a day walking the streets ... no scientific evidence offered.

In any case ... why ever someone would be riding the bike, that paper helmet offers no value to anybody except whoever pockets the profits before the company goes bankrupt.
Old 09-19-16, 01:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
+1 - I work at the Nike and they recently started a huge bike sharing program in Portland called Biketown. I have a few friends who would love to own a bike but their tiny 400 sq ft studio doesn't allow them to do so.

https://www.biketownpdx.com/

FYI...You are being added to my iggy list.
Old 09-19-16, 01:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Sanitation is the real issue with reused helmets. I can cope with a little sweat, but i have no idea what other issues the previous user might have had. Bedbugs in the hotels, lice in the helmets?

Someone would have to collect all the helmets (and restock fresh ones,) pull all the pads and sterilize them, and steam the shell, then reassemble all the helmets and redistribute them (which, because of bulk, would necessitate a motor vehicle) which would be an awful lot of labor and time. Not sure the guy has done the math on that one.
I thought the recycle bin at each station meant recycle as in recycle old newspapers, not recycle for reuse as a helmet. I agree that reusing unsanitized helmets previously worn by strangers, no matter their construction, is a proposal DOA.

Either way, this helmet proposal should be recycled to the trash bin.
Old 09-19-16, 01:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Like I say, last time I was in NYC is saw a lot of people who appeared to be commuting on Citibikes. I also saw a lot of groups of what appeared to be tourists, but what surprised me was people who seemed to be using them for regular transport.

People do use them a lot for regular transportation. One of the issues with the NYC program when it was new was many people using them for regular transportation to places like popular subway stops as part of their commutes. So much so that people would arrive later at popular locations to find the docking stations full, leaving them scrambling to find alternate docking stations. Once distinct patterns started to emerge, steps were taken to address overcrowding at some locations and a lack of bikes at others.

If the NYC and Philly programs are "fads" they are sure long-lasting ones.
Old 09-19-16, 01:44 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
.... a lot of people who appeared to be commuting on Citibikes.

I also saw a lot of groups of what appeared to be tourists,

people who seemed to be using them for regular transport.

Just an informal observation..... no scientific evidence offered.
You apparently have powerful observation skills. I hope the NYC bike rentals are as long lasting, and as popular as the carriage rides..... that I've seem people commuting to work at central park in.
Old 09-19-16, 01:45 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
It shouldn't be that suprising. NYC has some of the best bike infrastructure in the country and it's only getting better. When I ride in the city I see a ton of folks on their own rides both on the streets and on the Greenways/Central Park.
Old 09-19-16, 01:47 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Can't say how much a bowling ball weighs but they did some testing... "To ensure safety, Shiffer tested it by using a crash testing rig. "We dropped 10 pounds of weight from three feet and it withstood the impact," she said."

The article later goes on to say "U.S. federal safety standards require a bike helmet to protect the wearer's head from an impact that's equivalent to a 6-1/2 foot drop."
Making a helmet withstand an impact is easy and not very useful. A steel reinforced concrete helmet could withstand a lot of force and simply transmit it all to the noggin. Of course, it will not last 2,000 years.
Old 09-19-16, 01:52 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What's this thread about?
Old 09-19-16, 01:59 PM
Cheddarpecker

Bikes: Fuji Allegro

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Party decorations now double for helmets if purchased for 50X retail price.
Old 09-19-16, 03:13 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Why not just go to the dollar store, buy some folding party decorations, cut them in half and hollow out part of the middle, and then put it on your head? Same thing, basically.
Old 09-19-16, 04:39 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Why not just go to the dollar store, buy some folding party decorations, cut them in half and hollow out part of the middle, and then put it on your head? Same thing, basically.
That could be a proprietary construction secret, trademarked and protected ... be careful.
Old 09-19-16, 05:43 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
The "eco" label as applied to something that will be discarded after a single use is a definite misnomer. Anything that cannot be reused or re-purposed should never earn any points for being environmentally friendly.

The paper component may be biodegradable, but the plastic straps and fittings are not, though they may be recyclable. Whether this device is recycled or is landfilled, the total volume has to be orders of magnitude above that of standard helmets, which could see thousands of uses before disposal. Also, polystyrene can be recycled as well.
Old 09-19-16, 08:25 PM
Zukoda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be curious about the longevity of it - I sweat a LOT and would be worried whether this could hold up for an entire ride or not.
Old 09-19-16, 09:51 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The "eco" label as applied to something that will be discarded after a single use is a definite misnomer. Anything that cannot be reused or re-purposed should never earn any points for being environmentally friendly.

The paper component may be biodegradable, but the plastic straps and fittings are not, though they may be recyclable. Whether this device is recycled or is landfilled, the total volume has to be orders of magnitude above that of standard helmets, which could see thousands of uses before disposal. Also, polystyrene can be recycled as well.
100% recyclable paper according to the website. No plastic.

Originally Posted by Zukoda
I'd be curious about the longevity of it - I sweat a LOT and would be worried whether this could hold up for an entire ride or not.
The helmet is waterproof. Again according to the website.
Old 09-19-16, 10:33 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I'm looking forward to it. I ride a folding bicycle and have no interest in lugging my large fixed shell helmets when going into pedestrian mode. Researched all the existing "folding" hardshell helmets and was not impressed with the bulk reduction - ended up going with the old "hairnet" style helmet. It is not going to be as protective, but it's certainly better than nothing and folds to 1/4 the size, about the same as my bike.

I can see how protective this honeycomb helmet can be. My son describes his engineering class group project where each group is given a single 8.5x11 sheet of paper and some glue with the objective to support a student 1" off the ground. The winning group was able to support two students with a honeycomb design.

This helmet need not be single use, just as most folks do not rent a bike share for one ride. They rent by the day, three days, week, month - just fold this helmet up in between rides and recycle it when you are done. Local folks rent bike shares to commute to work without the risk of theft, or facilities to park in the office. For the local commuters, and myself, a more durable plastic version of this helmet would make sense... Anything that folds to a fraction of its size - I'm in.
Old 09-19-16, 11:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I agree that reusing unsanitized helmets previously worn by strangers, no matter their construction, is a proposal DOA.
Try not to think about the seat on the bicycle
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-20-16, 05:33 AM
Maelochs

100% recyclable paper according to the website. No plastic.
But greasy paper cannot be recycled.
The helmet is waterproof. Again according to the website.
I would be Very interested to know what they use to make it waterproof which also doesn't keep it from being recycled. I don't know of any coating or impregnation which can make paper waterproof ... and then be easily washed out for recycling.

Some guy had an idea to make money ... unfortunately, he didn't really have an idea for a useful helmet .... but he thinks he did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.