Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Start an event but don't finish?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Start an event but don't finish?

Old 09-19-16, 01:31 PM
Cheddarpecker

Bikes: Fuji Allegro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
From the OP's description it sounded like a big charity ride, but he wasn't riding with any particular group.
Solo from the time I left the house. I spoke to the lady who took my money and nobody else. There were probably 300-400 cyclists. I guess I asked someone where the start would be, and a couple of people complimented my bicycle as they passed. Didn't see another lugged frame, but I did spot a nice Surly.

I'll go back for 75 miles when I'm ready for it, but I won't register. For $15 more than I paid this time, I could have just ordered the jersey pictured. They can keep the noise, the food, and the t shirt.

From another topic:

Originally Posted by jefnvk
...organized rides take a dim view on people relieving themselves in nature en route.
I also had to piss like a horse, there wasn't so much as a tree in sight, and there were people everywhere. I found a quiet road out of town which was off the route on my way back to the start.

Last edited by Cheddarpecker; 09-19-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 02:00 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Is this the event?

Hungry Lion Bike Tour - Home

Lesson learned here is to read the website first.

The fancy jersey is only given to those who raise $250.

550 metres elevation over 55 miles doesn't sound hilly. The 75 mile ride doesn't seem much hillier either.
Old 09-19-16, 02:20 PM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope, but y'all might take some enjoyment from guessing at it.

The 75 mile ride has plenty of ups and downs, starting at about 35 miles in. Nearly 5000 feet of climbing overall. It's also a loop. Last year I entered events for 30-40 miles. This year has been 40-50 miles. The distance I could confidently enter for had to be an out and back, but somehow I didn't expect a mountain tour to be so flat. The listed elevation profile gave me the impression of a long climb after bottoming out, to be rewarded by a fast descent on the way back.

They didn't have a website, but a facebook page. I felt like something was wrong with that, but ignored it. I'm not on facebook so some of the content may have been lost on me. They rely on local businesses to post the flyer on their websites, so the information I gathered from several pages.

The Commemorative Jersey is available for purchase from $65-75. That wasn't on any of the pages I read. It was simply pictured on every site as the "2016 Jersey."

My lesson learned was not only to read closer, but to research the route if I haven't been there before. I have been through the area several times, but never had any reason to go down that road. Probably because it's flat and there's nothing out there. Such places certainly don't stand out in my mind, so it didn't dawn on me until I was there.

Last edited by Cheddarpecker; 09-19-16 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 02:49 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
OK I'll try one more guess before the novelty wears off:

https://m.facebook.com/Fort-Davis-Cy...6224455136683/

Canari Jerseys 65-75? Tick
Facebook only? Tick
55 and 75 mile? 55 and 76. Close enough
$50 entry plus t shirt? Tick
75 Mile route hilly at the end about 5000ft climbing? Tick

I find I do a lot of research on the route if I haven't been there before. Using Google Street view on various parts of the route (including intersections) can give a good indication of the road condition and type.
Old 09-19-16, 03:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I can see being disappointed in the route. I can see feeling short-changed by the t-shirt. I can see not being interested in food or beer or conversation with other riders. But I can't see bailing on a ride after clearing the day to ride and driving out to the course. Once I've gone to the effort of loading up the bike and getting dressed, I certainly wouldn't waste the opportunity to ride.

Maybe that's just me. I have a wife and kids who all have their own activities on the weekends so if I want to plan on attending an event out of town, it means checking calendars and sometimes a bit of negotiating.
Old 09-19-16, 03:14 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
I have to say I've never heard of anything like this. I understand you were expecting a jersey and were disappointed to get a T shirt. Also understand you don't wear T shirts (??) don't like to eat after or socialize with the other riders. Sounds like you discovered you just aren't a group ride type of guy. BTW, don't even think about saving $ by poaching the ride next time. That's beyond sleezy!
Old 09-19-16, 03:19 PM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
I can see being disappointed in the route. I can see feeling short-changed by the t-shirt. I can see not being interested in food or beer or conversation with other riders. But I can't see bailing on a ride after clearing the day to ride and driving out to the course. Once I've gone to the effort of loading up the bike and getting dressed, I certainly wouldn't waste the opportunity to ride.

Maybe that's just me. I have a wife and kids who all have their own activities on the weekends so if I want to plan on attending an event out of town, it means checking calendars and sometimes a bit of negotiating.
Everything went poorly, slept poorly, and I really wasn't feeling it. When it dawned on me that it wasn't what I expected, I just lost all desire to proceed. The challenge was gone. Total loss of motivation. Even tired, I'd have climbed a ton for the promise of one good long descent. The climb back was enjoyable and even took my mind off of the rest of it for little ways, but by that point my primary interest was in being elsewhere.

My ability to go is limited only by finances. I had just enough to make the trip. Came back with ten bucks.
Old 09-19-16, 03:20 PM
fastturtle

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you were pissed off by the organisation before you even started. That could explain you actually wanted to turn your back on these guys.

Because if that is not the explanation, I just can't figure out why you wouldn't just finish these remaining miles quickly, for the sake of a good sweat. Well, we are all unique in our ways of thinking, I believe.

(PS. I started typing before you posted your last reply)
Old 09-19-16, 03:22 PM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I have to say I've never heard of anything like this. I understand you were expecting a jersey and were disappointed to get a T shirt. Also understand you don't wear T shirts (??) don't like to eat after or socialize with the other riders. Sounds like you discovered you just aren't a group ride type of guy. BTW, don't even think about saving $ by poaching the ride next time. That's beyond sleezy!
Poaching? Riding on a public road? Parking on a public right of way? Making zero utilization of SAG, riding self supported, and skipping the entire paid entertainment aspect is somehow wrong? It's not like they even listed my name, time, or anything like that.
Old 09-19-16, 03:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Sorry guy, I understand you are new to cycling but poaching charity rides isn't something you want to try to defend. All the rationalizations have been seen before. If you want to ride that route, do it some other day. Obviously.
Old 09-19-16, 03:33 PM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fastturtle
So you were pissed off by the organisation before you even started. That could explain you actually wanted to turn your back on these guys.

Because if that is not the explanation, I just can't figure out why you wouldn't just finish these remaining miles quickly, for the sake of a good sweat. Well, we are all unique in our ways of thinking, I believe.

(PS. I started typing before you posted your last reply)
I'm sure I was the only person who left unsatisfied. Figured the ride would wake me up and make up for the cheesy shirt. I was doing alright until I realized I was going out on the flats. A wrong turn that morning sent me out that way so I knew there was nothing there. It was then that I was pissed, and probably why I turned around short of the first rest station.
Old 09-19-16, 03:37 PM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sorry guy, I understand you are new to cycling but poaching charity rides isn't something you want to try to defend. All the rationalizations have been seen before. If you want to ride that route, do it some other day. Obviously.
You're right. While the thought had occurred to me, the desire to return is not strong enough to actually do it. I'll stick to the minor $20 rides where nothing is expected other than a road and some water stops.