Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who's buying all these high end bikes?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Who's buying all these high end bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 10:31 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Need to give this a bit more thought... :-)
In the Bay Area, everything is so expensive that a $6K bike is kind of like a $2K bike in Iowa.
Old 06-23-17, 10:54 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Just wondering who do you think are buying all these high end designer/handmade type bikes? My guess is most of the folks in this particular forum (+50). I think most of us here can afford to get a Ti or custom steel frame if we really wanted to. Do you think the average Joe Biker can afford to get these? A young person with a family or at work trying to make ends meet wouldn't choose one of these so that leaves us old farts with enough disposable income to keep all these small business in business...

Personally, I would like a Ti gravel bike...

What do you think?
They aren't for the "average Joe Biker". They are for the people who have found a way through education and experience to earn an above average income.

I bought my custom-built and customised bicycle when I was in my early 30s.
Old 06-23-17, 11:20 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

WTF?
Paid off a long time ago Those of us who are 50+ bought long enough ago in the Bay Area that we had the chance to purchase when pricing was not insane (30 years ago). A big reason I can afford custom bikes and other goodies now. I do feel for anyone trying to buy in the Bay Area now, however, I had neighbors who bought during the last upcycle (at what I thought was an absurd price) and they just sold and made a tidy profit. Keeps going up.
Old 06-23-17, 12:13 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Buy a bunch.
From American craftsmen.
Many US Ti builders = too many to list
Custom steel frame @ $1,000 .Curtlo Cycles - Handmade bicycles. Custom Mountain Bike, Road, Cyclocross, Tandem bikes. and Many others.
Handmade in US Carbon Fiber = www.calfeedesign.com. $2,400 Luna frame or custom available.

Don't know which age group buys the most $6,000 bikes? Interesting question...
Is Luna still in business?
Old 06-23-17, 01:08 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Is Luna still in business?
Can't answer your question. Wasn't it a female builder?

My reference was to a company, south of Santa Cruz, CA that has been in the carbon fiber bike biz since the 80s. Also one of the first in bamboo. CF bikes 100% Made in California. Luna was Craig Calfee's dog and the name of bike line that continues to the present. Calfee Luna
Old 06-23-17, 01:56 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
They aren't for the "average Joe Biker". They are for the people who have found a way through education and experience to earn an above average income.
I remember reading a Maynard Hershon article I think in Winning, where he interviewed a sales rep for some very expensive boutique brand of bikes... might've been Serotta. The rep told him that one of her main jobs was teaching the bike sales staff at the LBS how to sell these expensive bikes. She said you have to convince them that they've earned it and they deserve it. You don't say "these are for serious racers or triple century riders" you say "these are for people who appreciate quality and craftsmanship and have done well in life and are fortunate enough to own one... that sounds like you."
Old 06-23-17, 02:08 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by linberl
Those of us who are 50+ bought long enough ago
I'm 54. Not everyone is in your comfort zone, which has a lot to do with why the Bay Area can't retain many middle class professionals like teachers, bike mechanics, college professors and even doctors.
Old 06-23-17, 02:16 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
There's no particular demonstrable demographic other than "those that have the cash" (whether from deep pockets, begging, borrowing, stealing...).
Old 06-23-17, 02:56 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

... the Bay Area can't retain many middle class professionals like teachers, bike mechanics, college professors and even doctors.
You know why the Bay Area is so expensive? Because it's worth it! It's the Serotta of home locations.
Old 06-23-17, 03:18 PM
RockiesDad

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
You know why the Bay Area is so expensive? Because it's worth it! It's the Serotta of home locations.
Well for me I think I am paying for the weather...
Old 06-23-17, 03:26 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I was just at a bike shop in Playa del Rey. They had a beautiful Bianchi down there for $11,000.

There are folks out there with the disposable income for that ... or people who couldn't care less about the car they drive, but want an awesome bike. It's all good.

The bike I've been riding as of late (and will likely ride this weekend on the double century) is an Schwinn frame I got for $80 from Nashbar, built out for maybe about a total of $500. It climbs well, descends well, and is reasonably comfortable. But it's not nearly as pretty as that Bianchi.
I can't wait to read your Ride reports on that new Bianchi!!
Old 06-23-17, 03:28 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Just wondering who do you think are buying all these high end designer/handmade type bikes? My guess is most of the folks in this particular forum (+50). I think most of us here can afford to get a Ti or custom steel frame if we really wanted to. Do you think the average Joe Biker can afford to get these? A young person with a family or at work trying to make ends meet wouldn't choose one of these so that leaves us old farts with enough disposable income to keep all these small business in business...

Personally, I would like a Ti gravel bike...

What do you think?
When I go to races, I certainly see a lot of younger guys with nice bikes.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-23-17, 03:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Cycling has been a fact of my life the past 40+ years. I raced. I had a clubmate build me a custom when I finished. A decade later a cousin thrust an early (good) ti mountain bike in my hands and told me to ride it. I knew from that 1/2 mile that a custom ti road bike was for me as soon as I could afford it. 18 years and a good job later, I could. Had it built. 5 years later, another one with a very different focus. In the process., I developed a relationship with that framebuilder. He has also built stems and seatposts for my other bikes plus done several repairs and modifications so he now has a real hand in all of my 5 bikes.

Not a cheap way to ride. I'm guessing $8-9000 has gone from my bank account to his. It does make my wallet a little thinner. But as a betterment of my existence here on earth, yeah!, big time. I don't regret any of this one bit.

Yes, I am an over 50 (over 60) rider who can (not all that comfortably) afford multiple multi K bikes. But it is also a simple choice as to what is really important to me. Cycling is. So I ride bikes that put a grin on my face. All of them. (Even my $80 frame workhorse fix gear, ~$500 total. That now has a repair costing most of that total. But best bike for that application in my 40 years of riding those bikes. First of 5 frames that is a keeper.)

Ben
Old 06-23-17, 03:47 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I can't wait to read your Ride reports on that new Bianchi!!
Hell ... maybe I'll get a matching pair!

I think this is it ... pretty sweet bike.

Oltre XR4 Super Record EPS | Bianchi USA

Old 06-23-17, 03:51 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Can't answer your question. Wasn't it a female builder?
Yes, I don't know much about about Calfree's operation, but in the 1990's a female framebuilder headed up a company called Luna.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 06-24-17 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 03:52 PM
linberl

I'm 54. Not everyone is in your comfort zone, which has a lot to do with why the Bay Area can't retain many middle class professionals like teachers, bike mechanics, college professors and even doctors.
A lot of it has to do with arranging priorities. When I bought, I wasn't making a lot of money. I skipped vacations and used other cost-cutting measures to increase my mortgage payments. It is different now for folks buying into the market; there are barely any starter homes left. But my neighbors ARE teachers, mechanics, professors and doctors - they aren't leaving - they are buying homes with two incomes and deferring children for a while (or altogether). The homes in my community are now $1mill+ and nothing stays on the market more than two weeks. It's astounding how quickly homes are selling. But this thread isn't about real estate ;-)
Old 06-23-17, 04:21 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by speshelite
There's a definite housing crunch, that's for sure. Unfortunately, the entire country is swamped with both legal and illegal immigration, driving up prices (and crime) to preposterous levels.

So, "middle class people" are forced to "the suburbs" where they have to pay a king's ransom to avoid "social problems."
Illegal immigrants are NOT driving up housing prices in the Bay Area. Lolz. The "immigrants' in the Bay Area driving up housing prices are American citizens leaving poor-economy states for better jobs. Where in the world do you live?
Old 06-23-17, 04:39 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Illegal immigrants are NOT driving up housing prices in the Bay Area. Lolz. The "immigrants' in the Bay Area driving up housing prices are American citizens leaving poor-economy states for better jobs.
Yeah, they move here for a few years, buy a house that triples in value, and then go back home to retire on the profit.

What a joke. On so many different levels.

Enormous homeless population.

Antifa terrorists rioting in the streets daily.

The least attractive women of any major city/urban area.
Oh, I understand where you're coming from now... disregard.

Originally Posted by Biker395
The bike I've been riding as of late (and will likely ride this weekend on the double century) is an Schwinn frame I got for $80 from Nashbar,
There must be a special trophy for guys who spend more on the ride fee than they did on the bike they do it on.
Old 06-23-17, 04:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Y
Oh, I understand where you're coming from now...
Portland?
Old 06-23-17, 04:51 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
But Serotta went bankrupt.
Old 06-23-17, 05:09 PM
linberl

There are at least 30 million ILLEGAL immigrants in the US. That's in ADDITION to legal immigration. Only an idiot would argue that their presence has no effect on housing prices. No one who's not a moron believes that the increase in housing stock has in any way shape or form kept up with the increases in illegal, permanent and short terms legal immigration, as well as migration internally (not immigration as you refer to it). Immigration is obviously driving up housing prices, especially in the areas in which they are most numerous, such as California, to astronomical levels.

There are tens of millions of immigrants in the US illegally, permanently and on short term work visas. California suffers the brunt of housing price hikes due to the presence of silicon valley, already established Mexican and Latin American and Asian populations post 1965 and mild weather.

I'm in California and every city I've visited or lived in has had a huge increase in automobile traffic. Without mentioning specific cities, it's not uncommon to see 6 or 7 of every 10 drivers and occupants who are hispanic.

No one is ignorant enough to believe the flood of legal and illegal immigration has no impact on housing prices, both homes and apartments.
You should come with a warning label. Added to my ignore list.
Old 06-23-17, 05:15 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warning: FACTS are scary.
Old 06-23-17, 05:18 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
No kidding!!! Wow!!
Old 06-23-17, 05:24 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
There are at least 30 million ILLEGAL immigrants in the US. That's in ADDITION to legal immigration. Only an idiot would argue that their presence has no effect on housing prices. No one who's not a moron believes that the increase in housing stock has in any way shape or form kept up with the increases in illegal, permanent and short terms legal immigration, as well as migration internally (not immigration as you refer to it). Immigration is obviously driving up housing prices, especially in the areas in which they are most numerous, such as California, to astronomical levels.

There are tens of millions of immigrants in the US illegally, permanently and on short term work visas. California suffers the brunt of housing price hikes due to the presence of silicon valley, already established Mexican and Latin American and Asian populations post 1965 and mild weather.

I'm in California and every city I've visited or lived in has had a huge increase in automobile traffic. Without mentioning specific cities, it's not uncommon to see 6 or 7 of every 10 drivers and occupants who are hispanic.

No one is ignorant enough to believe the flood of legal and illegal immigration has no impact on housing prices, both homes and apartments.
There are at least 30 million ILLEGAL immigrants in the US.
Source please, and not Breitbart or Fox.
Old 06-23-17, 06:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A lot of it has to do with arranging priorities. When I bought, I wasn't making a lot of money. I skipped vacations and used other cost-cutting measures to increase my mortgage payments. It is different now for folks buying into the market; there are barely any starter homes left. But my neighbors ARE teachers, mechanics, professors and doctors - they aren't leaving - they are buying homes with two incomes and deferring children for a while (or altogether). The homes in my community are now $1mill+ and nothing stays on the market more than two weeks. It's astounding how quickly homes are selling. But this thread isn't about real estate ;-)
It is about priorities. I was able to buy my custom, customised bicycle because I chose to live in a decent, but inexpensive apartment ... and chose not to own a motor vehicle.

By doing that I was able to travel a lot more ... and buy bicycles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.