Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A Nasty Crash: Help me choose a new helmet

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-04-17, 01:50 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

So Wednesday, on the way to work, I crashed. I remember crossing the road onto the short section of MUP I take every morning, then I remember something happening and the world turning upside down. I'm still not sure what actually happened. Next, I recall looking at my watch thinking "I'm going to be late." I wasn't sure which way to go, but somehow ended up in the right place. According to my colleagues, I put my bike in its usual spot and sat down on a bench looking dazed. They noticed I was messed up and ended up calling my wife--when they first asked me for her number, I gave them my dad's by mistake.

So after X-Rays and a CT scan, it turns out that, in addition to a concussion, I have several face fractures. No expectation of long term damage, but I still feel a bit woozy and tired.

Anyway, I survived, and plan to buy a new helmet. My old one was something like this model: https://www.my365hardware.com/181112.html. I've heard of MIPS, but also heard criticisms of it. I've also heard of helmets with different densities of foam, sometimes called conehead. This seems a bit more promising to me. This (https://www.ebay.com/i/263055012928?...173&dispItem=1) looks like the only model I can afford. Any thoughts?
Old 08-04-17, 02:25 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Don't skimp out on the helmet. I went over 40 years without helmet. Somebody told me I am so old my head is going to split like a ripe melon. So now I bought a good Giro (Bell). Go to a shop and try them on.
Old 08-04-17, 04:39 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Below is a picture of my front fender. Does this look like a stick got jammed in there? The bike is ridable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG2828_fender.jpg (18.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 08-07-17, 09:45 AM
Dyskolos

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 and 2016 Giant AnyRoad CoMax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I crashed on a MUP with a non-MIPs Giro helmet at about 10 mph and lost consciousness for a minute or two. The bike took the brunt of the damage and I was essentially unscathed. I replaced that helmet with a MIPs Giro helmet.

I crashed descending a mountain road at about 25 mph with a MIPs Giro helmet and never lost consciousness. The bike took minimal damage but I was scraped up and broke a clavicle. I replaced that helmet with the exact same model.

So, anecdotally, n=1, etc., I'm sticking with MIPs.
Old 08-07-17, 10:20 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
As a freelance musician I often get encouraged by colleagues to buy this or that or the other thing, because "you can write it off on your taxes". Yah, I can write the TAXES off my taxes, I can't write the COST of the widget or, music score, or concert shoes, off my taxes. Not needing concert shoes this year, or the next... will save way more money than the several dollars of taxes allowed for expense.

If a MIPS helmet was the only kind that met Snell or CSPA standards I would understand the flurry of enthusiasm for their use. Anecdotes of "I lost consciousness with a Snell helmet but did not with a MIPS helmet" FAIL, utterly, to account for the many crashes where someone with a Snell helmet does not lose consciousness or.... someone with no helmet at all.

Not crashing in the first place must, IMO, remain the best practice recommendation for cycling safety. It would suck, I think, to have to live life as a C5 quadriplegic because your noggin survived but your neck didn't. Just about ALL the accidents where a helmet makes an unqualified difference, ARE PREVENTABLE!! It's true. There isn't much a helmet can do for you if an Escalade nails you. They are, however, excellent for keeping your skull from a serious fracture if you go down at a railroad crossing. But... so is using appropriate caution at the crossing in the first place. Think about it. While you still can.
Old 08-07-17, 01:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
You know how much you can afford. So go someplace where you can try them on and get the one that fits you the best. The difference between online and the local bike shop is not that much for something you don't normally purchase often.
Old 08-07-17, 04:08 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
When I commuted I used a skateboard type helmet made by Giro (I think it's the Sutton model). It protects the sides and back of the head more than a stylin' road helmet.

Yeah, I know some here might say that's over-kill but think about your fall. Would a helmet that had more side and back protection prevented those fractures? Hard to say. You might ask your doctor where he thinks or how he thinks you cracked your noggin. Then let that dictate your next helmet purchase.

I for one would recommend a skateboard type helmet for the added side and back of the head protection. I got mine from Sierra Trading Post pretty cheap then slapped a bunch of reflective tape on it.