Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Vehicle vs cyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Vehicle vs cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 05:39 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Bikes: A fast one, a fun one, a utilitarian one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Next time bring the frame with you to the hospital, and tightly hold onto it when they wheel you towards the CT machine.

As always, I hope for a speedy recovery, and many miles in your future.

What you ultimately do with the bike will be based on your own level of confidence and tolerance, and perhaps also any insurance settlement.
Amusingly, I work with an er physician who has been trying to convince me to bring the frame in for a ct. I have a lot of pull here but something tells me I wouldn't get away with that.
Old 04-06-18, 05:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by jack k
Amusingly, I work with an er physician who has been trying to convince me to bring the frame in for a ct. I have a lot of pull here but something tells me I wouldn't get away with that.
Perhaps.

It may not cost that much if you do it during off-hours, clean up after yourself, and don't send the scans to a radiologist to be read (although perhaps the radiologist would also consider it an interesting change of pace).

A bike should be less infectious than a patient with MRSA.

Then again, some administrator may get upset about nothing.

I'd be curious about a MRI (assuming no steel on the frame). But, I think the MRIs scan water, and may not tell you anything.
Old 04-06-18, 05:47 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You mean you suffered all this just to get the significant other to accept buying a new bike?
If it were up to her, I would only ride under controlled conditions. She's actually kind of upset with me because I have not expressed any anger toward the culprit - for me it's been a "**** happens" kind of thing.
Old 04-06-18, 06:05 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps.

It may not cost that much if you do it during off-hours, clean up after yourself, and don't send the scans to a radiologist to be read (although perhaps the radiologist would also consider it an interesting change of pace).

A bike should be less infectious than a patient with MRSA.

Then again, some administrator may get upset about nothing.

I'd be curious about a MRI (assuming no steel on the frame). But, I think the MRIs scan water, and may not tell you anything.
ct is on call after hours - I don't think the techs would take kindly to responding to call for a bike frame. Either that or someone would say something and the radiology manager's ear would pick up on it. My reach extends far in certain service lines, unfortunately radiology is not one of them.

The use of carbon fiber in mri scans is currently novel with a few studies reproducing fairly severe rf shielding, so I'm not sure we would produce a worthwhile image.

Nonetheless it makes for good banter amongst my compatriots during the wee hours of the morning.

Last edited by jack k; 04-06-18 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-06-18, 06:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
ct is on call after hours - I don't think the techs would take kindly to responding to call for a bike frame. Either that or someone would say something and the radiology manager's ear would pick up on it. My reach extends far in certain service lines, unfortunately radiology is not one of them.
Yet, if they come in for an after-hour scan, they might be able to squeeze in a second scan before retiring for the night.

For a small facility, an on-call radiologist probably gets the scans e-mailed to him or her.

I'm not sure of the sequence of events, but is there a period between when the techs do the scan and the radiologist reads it that they have to hang around in case additional info is needed?

Anyway, are any of the techs avid cyclists? The radiologist? Perhaps you could get on their good graces somehow.
Old 04-06-18, 07:12 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yet, if they come in for an after-hour scan, they might be able to squeeze in a second scan before retiring for the night.

For a small facility, an on-call radiologist probably gets the scans e-mailed to him or her.

I'm not sure of the sequence of events, but is there a period between when the techs do the scan and the radiologist reads it that they have to hang around in case additional info is needed?

Anyway, are any of the techs avid cyclists? The radiologist? Perhaps you could get on their good graces somehow.
No cyclists in radiology of whom I know. We are a small facility, but we have a unique partnership with a flagship state teaching hospital across the street, so most our reads come from their in house staff, although the consult is based on the consulting physician's confidence in opinion and thus not always warranted.

Waiting until the techs are already called in to scan the bike is definitely an idea, but again I'd be relying on everyone in the department at the time to not say anything which is unlikely to happen. News of my wreck has already found its way to the director's office so it wouldn't take complex mental gymnastics to put two and two together.
Old 04-07-18, 08:02 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My counsel has strongly advised against giving any other details...apologies.
Good.

Of course we'll expect all the details after the final gavel, but until then, get well and hope they catch the driver.
Old 04-17-18, 05:52 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bcpriess
What part of Missouri are you in? And what kind of car did you get hit by?
Does it matter? He got hit by someone in a vehicle. It doesn't matter if it's a Smart Car, or Ford Excursion. A vehicle is a vehicle.
Old 04-18-18, 09:13 PM
natnatroswell22

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hoping for your speed recovery. Be very careful on your future rides, buddy
Old 04-18-18, 09:30 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
Does it matter? He got hit by someone in a vehicle. It doesn't matter if it's a Smart Car, or Ford Excursion. A vehicle is a vehicle.
Sure, but if the vehicle model isn't too common and one is seen in the right vicinity with appropriate scratches along the side then it might be something that the local authorities would want to investigate.
Old 04-18-18, 09:40 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I was hit and run twice as a teenager, now I ride on the sidewalk. Anyone who doesn't like it, tough.
Old 04-18-18, 09:58 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
I may live nearby, and I'd like to know if I should be on the lookout.
Old 04-18-18, 11:06 PM
laurenholloway

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wishing for your speed recovery. Anyway have you put dash cam on your bike? In that way you can report him to the police.