Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Master Link On The Road Without Tool

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 03:00 PM
MrRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been hearing how people are carrying a master (quick) link in their saddle bag in the event of some kind of chain failure. How are they installing the master link on the road without the installation tool, which I'm assuming is not carried on rides with the master link? Or is it? Seems a bit big to carry around.
Old 05-28-18, 03:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
installation is tool free *, removal is where a tool is useful
[but there are hacks for that]

and bring a chain tool to remove what remains of your damaged chain outer link (a multitool with one perhaps?)

* you set the Quick link by it being on top part of the chain,loop..
and the pedal is what you use to pull on your chain.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-28-18 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 03:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I would think it would be rare to need to split a quick link on the road.

I haven't been carrying one, expecting to reuse pins. And, fortunately I've broken a few 9s and lesser chains, but so far never broken a 11s chain.

I'm changing brands to a brand that uses quick links, and may start carrying one.
Old 05-28-18, 03:26 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
As fietsbob noted, you don't need tools to install one. You align the halves on the top run of the chain and step on a pedal. The resulting tension snaps the link closed.
Old 05-28-18, 03:27 PM
MrRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
installation is tool free *, removal is where a tool is useful
[but there are hacks for that]

and bring a chain tool to remove what remains of your damaged chain outer link (a multitool with one perhaps?)

* you set the Quick link by it being on top part of the chain,loop..
and the pedal is what you use to pull on your chain.

Oh they're using the pedal. I tried to reinstall my KMC masterlink using my pedal and it wouldn't go in. I stomped the crap out of the pedals several times then stopped as I was worried about damaging something. I had the masterlink in the bottom of the chain loop, so I suppose that was my mistake. The two people I saw on youtube doing that they were doing it from the botton and it worked easily. When I take the link off again, I'll try putting the masterlink on the top.

I ended up getting the link back on using two pieces of twine with gardening gloves. Took many of my best tugs but got it eventually. I took it off also by using some string/twine, it was easier than reinstalling it but still took several very violent tugs. Do you think that method could bend the link or chain and should not be recommended?

Last edited by MrRider; 05-28-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 03:27 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 1,549 Times in 1,014 Posts
Connex links don't require tools to remove, either.

A damaged external link in a chain can be pried apart with simple tools.
Old 05-28-18, 03:51 PM
MrRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Connex links don't require tools to remove, either.

A damaged external link in a chain can be pried apart with simple tools.
I'm really thinking of ordering a connex quick link. People are saying you shouldn't use a new masterlink on a used chain, so I'm worried about putting a new connex link on my existing chain which still has heaps of life left but is not new. What do you think? Why can't you use new quick links on used chains? If you damage or bend your masterlink, then you have to replace the whole chain with the quicklink? That sounds hurty.
Old 05-28-18, 03:59 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by MrRider
I'm really thinking of ordering a connex quick link. People are saying you shouldn't use a new masterlink on a used chain, so I'm worried about putting a new connex link on my existing chain which still has heaps of life left but is not new. What do you think? Why can't you use new quick links on used chains? If you damage or bend your masterlink, then you have to replace the whole chain with the quicklink? That sounds hurty.
I don't see an issue. We replace chains because their dimensions go out of spec, causing cog wear, not because the chain gets more likely to break as it gets older. One link isn't going to affect chain related wear.
Old 05-28-18, 03:59 PM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Meh, people say a lot of things. I've never had an issue with a new quicklink on an old chain.
Old 05-28-18, 04:09 PM
MrRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see an issue. We replace chains because their dimensions go out of spec, causing cog wear, not because the chain gets more likely to break as it gets older. One link isn't going to affect chain related wear.
Thanks guys. Do you think it's risky using string to tug apart my link? I mean is there significant risk of damaging the link or even chain? Or are they not so delicate?
Old 05-28-18, 04:33 PM
Dyskolos

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 and 2016 Giant AnyRoad CoMax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wolftooth makes a nice tool specifically for carry on the bike: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/pack-pliers

I have one and find it to be well-made and a nice size.
Old 05-28-18, 04:33 PM
Kontact 

Thanks guys. Do you think it's risky using string to tug apart my link? I mean is there significant risk of damaging the link or even chain? Or are they not so delicate?
The chain is so strong that the heaviest, strongest sprinters can't break them stomping up hills. String is not going to break anything.
Old 05-28-18, 04:43 PM
MrRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chain is so strong that the heaviest, strongest sprinters can't break them stomping up hills. String is not going to break anything.
I don't mean break it for straight on pulling force, but the sideways action. When I'm pulling with the string, due to the fact I have to pull so violently and repeatedly, I'm thinking if some tugs produce a bit of sideways force, could the plates of the link or chain bend out of shape sideways, if you know what I mean?

Last edited by MrRider; 05-28-18 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 04:50 PM
Kontact 

I don't mean break it for straight on pulling force, but the sideways action. When I'm pulling with the string, due to the fact I have to pull so violently and repeatedly, I'm thinking if some tugs produce a bit of sideways force, could the plates of the link or chain bend out of shape sideways, if you know what I mean?
I don't know what you're doing with the string, but it is not a side load more than downshifting on a hill.

Use pliers on the outside of the opposite link plates.
Old 05-28-18, 04:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
You can remove by hand, but it tends to be messy because you pretty much have to grab a full handful of chain with each hand. Thumb & forefinger on each side of the link. You need a bit of side to side motion as you try to jam it together to release.
Practice on a NEW, CLEAN chain to get your technique established. They'll come apart slightly harder with the grit & grease involved.
Old 05-28-18, 05:07 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
This looks interesting...

https://www.amazon.com/Moosetreks-Le.../dp/B074QM8NK2

However, I don't see a lot of need because if the chain breaks, you just add another link. As fietsbob said, you need a chain breaker tool to remove any damaged links.

​​​​​​​John
Old 05-28-18, 06:35 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I've used a small piece of string (by random chance, I have a very thin nylon sheathed spectra line on my keychain at all times) to open a link--it's very easy, and is essentially doing what masterlink pliars do. In my mind a spare link is mostly to fix some major trauma to the chain and replace a damaged link. I carry a multitool with a chain tool for removing damaged links, and I pretty much always install links by connecting the loosely on the bottom run, running them up to the upper run, and pressing on the pedals with the wheel held stationary.
Old 05-28-18, 06:50 PM
MrRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
This looks interesting...

https://www.amazon.com/Moosetreks-Le.../dp/B074QM8NK2

However, I don't see a lot of need because if the chain breaks, you just add another link. As fietsbob said, you need a chain breaker tool to remove any damaged links.

John
That IS an interesting tool. That motivated me to look on ebay at the price of that item, and other masterlink installation pliers came up, and to my surprise they're quite inexpensive. I hadn't considered those pliers before as I assumed they'd be a lot more money. For 8 USD, it might be worth getting some.

There's also one that does both open and close for 13 USD:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-2in1-o...4AAOxyg6pRFvc3
Old 05-28-18, 06:56 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
The two people I saw on youtube doing that they were doing it from the botton and it worked easily. When I take the link off again, I'll try putting the masterlink on the top.
Please share the youtube videos mentioned above.
Old 05-28-18, 07:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Oh they're using the pedal. I tried to reinstall my KMC masterlink using my pedal and it wouldn't go in. I stomped the crap out of the pedals several times then stopped as I was worried about damaging something. I had the masterlink in the bottom of the chain loop, so I suppose that was my mistake. The two people I saw on youtube doing that they were doing it from the botton and it worked easily. When I take the link off again, I'll try putting the masterlink on the top.
Yup, the master link needs to be on the top run of chain for the pedal to exert enough pressure to snap it shut.

Also be sure it's the right size Missing Link for the chain. KMC makes two sizes -- 7.1mm and 7.3mm -- very slightly different, but they aren't interchangeable. (Can't check other details right now because KMC's website appears to have been hijacked. Again. Probably a temporary thing over the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Seems like some unsecured websites get hijacked often by spammers and scammers.)

FWIW I just use pliers or heavy duty surgical clamps to open Missing Links at home. I carry a spare on the road but don't carry a tool. I figure if I need the replacement Missing Link the old one has already popped open and gotten lost, so I don't need the tool. But after a Missing Link has been reused a few times it opens fairly easily without a special tool. And the Missing Link seems to hang on pretty securely even when I drop the chain. So far I haven't lost one.

And I wax my chains so I can handle them on with bare hands. Very clean, very little mess -- about like pencil graphite. Boeshield T-9 is pretty clean too, just needs to be applied more often.

Last edited by canklecat; 05-28-18 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 07:10 PM
MrRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Please share the youtube videos mentioned above.
Here's one at timeframe 1:00. I can't find the other:
Old 05-28-18, 07:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
KMC makes reusable 11 speed links.

https://store.kmcchain.us/p/missingl...-reusable?pp=8

The link is installed on the top run of chain in the field without pliers. Sit on the bike and pedal forward.

The pliers are worth the money. You will wish you had gotten them sooner.

A short section of coat hanger works for installation and removal in the shop with pliers.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-28-18 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 07:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Here's one at timeframe 1:00. I can't find the other:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUISyPC2nY8
There is no way what the guy in the video is doing will work.

He is forward pedaling and only the top run of chain is in tension. The bottom run of chain is hanging free. What he is doing will not tighten a quick link.

-Tim-
Old 05-28-18, 07:30 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Beside not knowing why someone would remove a master link beside to clean or replace a chain, which is done usually at home, how do one replace a broken link by a master link without a chain breaker since master link requires both ends to be inner links anyway...
Old 05-28-18, 07:38 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by TimothyH
There is no way what the guy in the video is doing will work.

He is forward pedaling and only the top run of chain is in tension. The bottom run of chain is hanging free. What he is doing will not tighten a quick link.

-Tim-
Apparently it is easier to learn how to upload video than it is to learn how a bicycle works. What a fool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.