Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Question for 20+ mph avg commuters

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Question for 20+ mph avg commuters

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 04:53 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Anyone can travel at whatever speed they want as long as legal and not endangering others. I was curious why someone would say traveling at racing speed is not something anyone is going to do daily. No one should be expected to be slow or fast - to each their own.

Just because one is commuting doesn't mean they have to ride in a certain way.
Ah I get it, I 'mis-heard' the inflection in your earlier post. You heard from chas58 the same thing I thought you said, which is "racing = not daily".

Anyways, I don't ride my bike for speed (or to get a workout) any more than I drive my car for speed or use my feet for speed (I HATE running). All 3 I do it just fer to git there. Unless I'm in an especial hurry, which usually I'm not.

Last edited by RubeRad; 06-22-18 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 04:55 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Back in the day before Str*va I tracked every ride in Excel, copied the data manually over from bike 'computer' and made fancy graphs - this one covers a 10 year period from 2004 to 2014. Things to note:
It took me a year to go from 14mph average to 21mph average.
2009-2012 there is a step up in speed - this is also when I started to ride with racers on the weekends and evenings which increased my fitness.
My new route in Nov-2011 resulted in slow down in average speed
Old 06-22-18, 05:00 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

noisebeam that graph is awesome! It shows very clearly that (a) you're very fast, (b) you avg 20+ (excluding stopped time) all the time, and (b) your elapsed average including stopped time is pretty much capped at like 20.5, with a few exceptional days doing a little better (clusters in late '09 and late '11)

Why do the first 2 datasets come in (apparently) 2 points per date, joined by vertical lines? Or is that actually like joined-lines per week, and broken because no commutes on the weekends?

I guess the purple asterisks are tied to the epoches in the text boxes, so X axis is their date, but does their Y axis (mph) signify something?

Last edited by RubeRad; 06-22-18 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 05:04 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Anyways, I don't ride my bike for speed (or to get a workout) any more than I drive my car for speed or use my feet for speed (I HATE running). All 3 I do it just fer to git there. Unless I'm in an especial hurry, which usually I'm not.
It is hard for me to ride slower. I can do it and enjoy it. it hurts my butt more though.
In regards my commute I cut my time in half by getting fitter and riding faster. That is effectively an hour extra a day which I could use for more enjoyable non commuting riding or spend with family.
I also have to get home in set time as I usually have to pick up son and if I didn't ride faster I would have to motor to work. I am often a bit stressed about missing pick up cut off time. My excuse for riding fast into work is I can sleep in more.
Heading home in a minutes. Only 112F right now.
Old 06-22-18, 05:06 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by RubeRad
noisebeam that graph is awesome!

Why do the first 2 datasets come in (apparently) 2 points per date, joined by vertical lines? Or is that actually like joined-lines per week, and broken because no commutes on the weekends?

I guess the purple asterisks are tied to the epoches in the text boxes, so X axis is their date, but does their Y axis (mph) signify something?
Each workday gets two data points: AM and PM. The red line is a 4 day average (of 8 data points)
The purple annotations are dates on X, but Y is arbitrary to get them out of the way of the data in graph. I used to maintain the graph better so the Y axes points were more cleanly out of the way and the labels closer to the purple X.
Old 06-22-18, 05:18 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Ah, AM/PM, of course.

You could maybe clean the graph up, make more use of dead space, if you make a secondary Y axis on the right with a different scale. One Y scale for averages, the other for max?

Actually, that graph is so dense and rich, I'd advise ditching the max speed (least relevant -- downhill, right?), so the rest of the graph can expand and be more discernable.

Not knocking what you got, I just love to tweak. This is one of my favorite books, and the mere fact that you made that graph tells me you would enjoy it too. You can pick up a used copy for under $20.
Old 06-22-18, 05:26 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I am very familiar with that book.
The graph evolved over time - you can imagine when it only had one or three years of data -less cluttered and dense.
I don't use or maintain it anymore as I started using GPS tracking app in April of 2014.
I also think it is OK with the data smeared like it is - being able to see more detail is not needed, it is the trends that show up OK with the smear. But I totally agree there is quite a bit of room for improvement.
The route is all flat. One can see in May-2014 my repeated efforts to get KOM on a 1/3mi segment with that cluster of top speeds.

Last edited by noisebeam; 06-22-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 05:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
@noisebeam and @CliffordK, are you using a Garmin for the speed chart that you posted? They're pretty cool.
The charts are made in STRAVA on the Analysis page. I use the free version with an android phone.

Not much blowing through red lights, but good route planning helps.

Keep in mind that each person's commute is different. A few mostly green lights may be preferable to stop signs, even if one can get away with just slowing for the stops.

The new roundabout is frustrating, but I can get through it safely by strongly taking the left lane for a dozen blocks, and it is quick!

20 MPH for 7 miles should be easy enough.

I don't do it a lot because most of my rides are about 15 miles each way, and I don't want to be exhausted when I arrive. I still have to do whatever I had planned, and return home. But I will work more on conditioning.
Old 06-23-18, 02:18 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Bikes: A fast one, a fun one, a utilitarian one.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's all bull**** and exaggeration. Some people believe that posting big numbers will give them more credibility on internet forums. .....You just can't average 20+++mph when there are frequent traffic lights, stops signs and a lot of traffic. Also things such as wind direction and hills have a lot to do with speed averages....20+++ mph averages are only possible on internet forums and not in the real world.
There is an entire presupposition here that you are assuming.
Old 06-25-18, 08:55 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I am very familiar with that book.
The graph evolved over time - you can imagine when it only had one or three years of data -less cluttered and dense.
I don't use or maintain it anymore as I started using GPS tracking app in April of 2014.
I also think it is OK with the data smeared like it is - being able to see more detail is not needed, it is the trends that show up OK with the smear. But I totally agree there is quite a bit of room for improvement.
The route is all flat. One can see in May-2014 my repeated efforts to get KOM on a 1/3mi segment with that cluster of top speeds.
Very impressive. I could just sit and stare at that for probably half an hour, picking out all kinds of details
Old 06-25-18, 09:26 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Back in the day before Str*va I tracked every ride in Excel, copied the data manually over from bike 'computer' and made fancy graphs - this one covers a 10 year period from 2004 to 2014. Things to note:
2009-2012 there is a step up in speed - this is also when I started to ride with racers on the weekends and evenings which increased my fitness.
Nice Chart!

Strava has great analysis tools.

I don’t track my overall time, as that tells me nothing other than how long I waited at intersections. I know it is 38minutes give or take.

I do have some segments (typically a mile) that are un interrupted. They show me my fitness level changing over the season. My typical mile speed is 20. At race pace (or KOM pace) its about 26, quarter mile sprinting is about 33mph (all solo with my messenger bag). But day to day, 20mph is comfortable.
Old 06-25-18, 01:35 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
If there ever was a commute which one could average over 20 MPH it's mine. I leave the house and ride on dedicated bike lanes/MUP for all but the last three blocks of an 8 mile commute. All major intersections have underpasses or over passes except one.

What's more is the bike lanes/MUP follow exactly the path of the Spokane River so there is very little elevation gain or loss. The steepest part is literally an MUP overpass over a busy street. Easy to sprint up because it's so short.

I really need to take a go pro video and post it here.

(FULL Disclosure - in these nearly ideal conditions I only manage to average 14 MPH but that's partly because I elect to ride a single speed bike where my top end speed is a little limited by how fast I can pedal)
Old 06-29-18, 09:02 AM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Just as an update, I ALMOST had it earlier this week. I will get it at least once this year. But averaging it over multiple trips? Dunno about that.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2807049781

Last edited by josephjhaney; 06-29-18 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-29-18, 09:40 AM
josephjhaney

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I shall henceforth reference you, and this post, next time someone calls me a "data geek" for tracking my stuff.

Joe
Old 06-29-18, 09:44 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

All hail noisebeam, King Data Geek!
Old 06-29-18, 11:42 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by josephjhaney
Just as an update, I ALMOST had it earlier this week. I will get it at least once this year. But averaging it over multiple trips? Dunno about that.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2807049781
Excellent!!!

I have started wondering if there is a bit of an odd effect, that the cyclists that do longer commutes may do better than the cyclists with shorter commutes, even if it means expending the effort over longer distances.

In my case, I get a lot of my riding and overall fitness from commuting.

While I don't typically push real high speeds, it still is a lot of miles, and the overall fitness is certainly getting better with time.

And, of course, those with longer commutes will tend more towards road bikes than the typical commuter bikes.
Old 06-29-18, 12:07 PM
josephjhaney

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Excellent!!!

I have started wondering if there is a bit of an odd effect, that the cyclists that do longer commutes may do better than the cyclists with shorter commutes, even if it means expending the effort over longer distances.

While I don't typically push real high speeds, it still is a lot of miles, and the overall fitness is certainly getting better with time.

And, of course, those with longer commutes will tend more towards road bikes than the typical commuter bikes.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I use a late 90's Kestrell 200SCI, I love that bike, and it's my everything but "hey, there is ice on the damn road" today bike.

Joe
Old 06-29-18, 12:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Excellent!!!

I'm sure all of this is true, because I get to observe lots of bike commuters here. I've met a few extreme commuters, such as one who rides from Westchester County to Brooklyn. I met him on a trail. He was moving really fast on a road racing bike. He slowed down to ride with me for a few minutes because he was near the end of his ride home, and he was tired.

Then again ... there was something about the 13 mile commute I had at my previous job that seemed to wear me out. Maybe I wasn't approaching it well. I only did it 2 or 3 days a week. My current commute is 6.5 miles each way, and I like it so much better that I do it every day. I'm averaging slightly more miles per week as a result.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-01-18, 07:56 AM
FromBeyond

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez; 1995 Schwinn Frontier

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a 20mph guy, but I've noticed road quality makes a big difference on my avg speed.
When I take the smooth roads, I avg 16 or 17 mph for the whole commute (i'm slow). But when I add in a couple old rough roads, then my avg drops a good mph or so.
I imagine, if I lived in a nice area where the roads weren't old and janky, I'd be a bit quicker.
Old 07-01-18, 11:05 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Many people only look at their computers when they’re going fast, just to see how fast.

Those are the moments they remember. It’s selective sampling, and not always even deliberately selective.

When I ride with my fast weekend group, I remember speeds of 24+ mph on the flats, because those are the only times curiosity drives me to look. Strava will tell me later that our average was really 18mph.
Old 07-01-18, 03:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Many people only look at their computers when they’re going fast, just to see how fast.

Those are the moments they remember. It’s selective sampling, and not always even deliberately selective.

When I ride with my fast weekend group, I remember speeds of 24+ mph on the flats, because those are the only times curiosity drives me to look. Strava will tell me later that our average was really 18mph.
I think that's what happens a lot, but some are reporting and even showing averages of 20 mph. It's pretty impressive. I was never that fast.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-02-18, 01:00 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I used to commute between college-town next to university to downtown to work in bike-shop, 13-miles. Being ADD, I always got bored going slow, want that speed and adrenaline! I trained with sprints, intervals, hillclimbs to increase my speed so I can do that commute in 45-min or less.

That led to an encountre with school's Cycling Team and 10 glorious years of racing.
Old 07-02-18, 11:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Paying a Motor bike guy to let you wheelsuck in their slip stream really works well..

Note; the roller added on the back..
Old 07-02-18, 11:15 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Paying a Motor bike guy to let you wheelsuck in their slip stream really works well..

Note; the roller added on the back..
Oof,

Can I at least get and E-Bike?

I don't think I'd want to suck exhaust fumes like that

And, it would probably be a Harley dude with sawed off mufflers.
Old 07-05-18, 08:13 AM
dwengo
Saddler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really impressive, you can see how you increased over the period of a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.