Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reading dog behavior while riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reading dog behavior while riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 10:30 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I read a book while riding (touring) BITD.

It was a novel, 'tho...
Old 08-30-19, 10:35 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
OK, I must chime in here as a self-declared very stable genius when it comes to dogs. I have owned a few over most of my life, I worked as a meter reader one winter, and I have been riding public streets and roads a very long time and been chased/harassed many times. I have been bitten once while riding when I was a child, but snow pants saved my hyde. YOU SHOULD NEVER TRUST A STRANGE DOG. Most dogs aren't dumb, but behave in a dumb manner. A good number of them are sneaky bastards, they will play nice until they can make a clean and quick lunge. Some will lye in wait, hiding secluded until you are in range, but this type of M.O. has little defense. Get some Halt spray and keep it handy for quick draw, it's best for you and the dog, pain is a good motivator (I am a dog lover and I hate medevil training methods).

Last edited by venturi95; 08-30-19 at 10:41 PM. Reason: clumsy thumbs
Likes For venturi95:
Old 08-30-19, 10:57 PM
Al_in_NH

Bikes: Cannondale Cataylist, Giant Toughroad, Specialized Sequoia, KHS Fatbike, Electra Loft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
<snip>

Try to learn to read dog behavior so that you don't get bit especially if you are riding rural roads.
Yeah - you do what you want. I like dogs as much as the next person, but I pepper spray ALMOST every dog not on a leash that gets within range. I am more afraid of "friendly" dogs than I am of vicious ones. I never know what a friendly dog is going to do, but I've been knocked off my bike by friendly dogs who just wanted to "greet me". I try to give them as much room as I can. If I even think a dog is vicious, or might bite me, I get off the bike, and put it between me and the animal as soon as I can. What happens next is up to the dog and his owner if he is around, but I will not get bitten again. I am a big believer in ALWAYS wearing a GoPro or some kind of camera, and this is one of the reasons why. It also helps to know the law in your state.

NH RSA 466:31 Dogs a Menace, a Nuisance or Vicious
NH RSA 466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized
Likes For Al_in_NH:
Old 08-31-19, 02:54 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Ditto the responses on dogs smiling; they don't smile. That's an example of humans projecting their behaviors onto animals.
People tend to do that a lot, especially when it concerns their dog. Nevertheless, I think he was using figurative language in this case.

Ditto too the responses about interpreting dogs' behaviors. With repeated interactions, I develop knowledge of whether a particular dog is benign or vicious; on a first meeting, though, I wouldn't bet my physical well-being on my interpretation of a dog's intentions.

I ride a lot in Amish country, and some of them let their dogs roam free...And they generally don't vaccinate their dogs. Hence, a random dog bite could entail significant risks. If I can't outsprint a questionable dog, I just avoid it altogether.
Again, not entirely untrue. While there is never any guarantee, generally speaking, animals tend to behave similarly, and are more predicable in behavior than people. Consider a growl and ears back for example. These are not signs the dog is friendly and wants to be petted.
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
If a dog gets near me, I stop the bike and place it between me and the dog assailant. If there is an owner I let them know in no uncertain terms I am not interested in making friends with their pitbull or Muffy the picadoo. If it continues to approach, it could get ugly. Four broken bones and a resulting stroke has significantly adjusted my attitude toward dogs and their irresponsible owners. I will not be a victim. Attempting to outrun or out maneuver a dog is a foolish thing and is just a good way to get yourself hurt, if not the first time, eventually.
No one solution is always correct. In fact, there are times when you can outrun them since dogs won't typically run too far beyond their territory. Which is why they're chasing you in the first place.
Old 08-31-19, 03:30 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
There is a small brown dog on Tibbits Rd near Braswell Mountain Rd which is scared of Industry 9 hubs.

It is a smallish dog which came up behind me and I let off the pedals when its head was right next to my hub. The sudden BZZZZZ scared the crud out of it. Now all I have to do is backpedal and it runs to the porch.

Do you know Alan Pilling? He is an older British guy, rides out of Sosebee. His wife is Janet. Super nice people. Alan had his leg mauled by a pit bull up in Bartow County a few weeks ago.

-Tim-
I don't know the rider but I did see your earlier post, terrible news.
Old 08-31-19, 03:50 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
A couple thoughts... just because a dog is wagging his tail doesn’t mean he won’t bite you, it just means he’s happy. He may be happy to bite you.
I have pepper sprayed more dogs than I can count (and a few humans). It works, it you have to practice once or twice, and be aware of where the relative wind is coming from.
You have had to pepper spray three or more people?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-31-19, 03:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Good Fences make for Good Neighbors.

I have one dog on my regular commute that "greets" me every time I pass, from behind a fence. It has a very distinctive low volume bark. Perhaps small groups of 2 or 3 barks. One can never say for sure, but I'm pretty sure it is all about the chase (or race), and it would come to greet me if it ever got loose.

But, I don't tolerate dogs that are loose on the road. I point straight at the dogs and yell "GO HOME" at the top of my lungs. Most break off the chase (likely every neighbor within a mile also hears me).

Even if they won't bite, it isn't safe for animals to be running around loose on the road.

There is one dog at a Turn-Around. No fence. I yelled at it. So, it went and sat down at the corner of its property, and just watched me as I stopped, turned around, and rode past it again. THIS IS MY PROPERTY, AND I CAN STAY HERE IF I WANT. No more chasing.... ever.

There was only one dog up near Portland that chased me bad enough that it really bothered me. The dang thing wouldn't break off the chase. Wide open mouth right next to me, until I was able to sprint away from it. But, I've passed that place 2 or 3 more times and never had another problem. The road had moderate traffic, and if it was out on the road enough, it likely got smashed.
Old 08-31-19, 03:53 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I've heard it is bad news to be drafting cyclists when they let loose a can of bear spray.
Old 08-31-19, 06:56 AM
Payton1221

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
A rider here had his leg mauled a few weeks ago and here in North Georgia we are pretty fed up with it.
I'm fed up with it too, but I'll guarantee the dogs who did this damage IMMEDIATELY made their true character known.
Old 08-31-19, 07:02 AM
Payton1221

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
If a dog gets near me, I stop the bike and place it between me and the dog assailant. If there is an owner I let them know in no uncertain terms I am not interested in making friends with their pitbull or Muffy the picadoo. If it continues to approach, it could get ugly. Four broken bones and a resulting stroke has significantly adjusted my attitude toward dogs and their irresponsible owners. I will not be a victim. Attempting to outrun or out maneuver a dog is a foolish thing and is just a good way to get yourself hurt, if not the first time, eventually.
So EVERY time you encounter a dog that gets to within a few feet of your bike you stop and dismount on the side opposite the bike? You do you but there's no way am I doing that. I ride in the country and I encounter a bike on nearly every ride and sometimes 2-3. I don't like it either, but after riding over a 1,000 miles over each of the last few years, I've yet to be bit.
Old 08-31-19, 07:16 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
we had the coolest loose dog locally. He also stayed in ditch and wouldn't chase very far at all. He liked to be stealthy though, and scared many riders. coming up along side them and barking, or behind them.

We had another neighbor that hated dogs. petrified of them. He buys a bicycle, buys the "beloved" pepper spray. He sprayed that poor nice dog.

for the next 3 years that dog absolutely hated bicyclist. I had never heard him growl until that point.

anyways, I started stopping when on my bike and talking to the dog. Stopping when in car too when owner was out.

eventually the dog returned to normal and is normal now. It probably helps that the guy that hated dogs and pepper sprayed it, only rode for like that one summer.

My POINT, people should have to take a dog class of some sort before they are allowed to purchase pepper spray. Because in my world, Humans are the problem the majority of the time. If not you, then it was the guys interaction with the dog before you.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-31-19, 10:00 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Yes. I was a deputy sheriff and a K9 handler in my past life.
Old 08-31-19, 10:01 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
we had the coolest loose dog locally. He also stayed in ditch and wouldn't chase very far at all. He liked to be stealthy though, and scared many riders. coming up along side them and barking, or behind them.

We had another neighbor that hated dogs. petrified of them. He buys a bicycle, buys the "beloved" pepper spray. He sprayed that poor nice dog.

for the next 3 years that dog absolutely hated bicyclist. I had never heard him growl until that point.

anyways, I started stopping when on my bike and talking to the dog. Stopping when in car too when owner was out.

eventually the dog returned to normal and is normal now. It probably helps that the guy that hated dogs and pepper sprayed it, only rode for like that one summer.

My POINT, people should have to take a dog class of some sort before they are allowed to purchase pepper spray. Because in my world, Humans are the problem the majority of the time. If not you, then it was the guys interaction with the dog before you.
+1, there were 2 small dogs that chased me barking every time I rode past them. One day I stopped and talked to them - they looked puzzled at first, but after 2-3 times of doing that they stopped the chasing and barking.
Old 08-31-19, 05:06 PM
Al_in_NH

Bikes: Cannondale Cataylist, Giant Toughroad, Specialized Sequoia, KHS Fatbike, Electra Loft

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
People buy pepper spray for more than just fending off dogs.

As for taking a dog class though - That's a great idea. Since it is the dog owners responsibility to comply with state laws and local ordinances as they pertain to how they control their pet, every dog owner should have to take a class before they are allowed to HAVE a dog.
Likes For Al_in_NH:
Old 08-31-19, 06:19 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Al_in_NH
a lot of those people, are angry irritable people with mouths and an attitude. They get them selves into trouble with other people then ...spray and pray.

not all, but MANY !!
Old 08-31-19, 07:25 PM
Slowridr

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ive had a few experiences with dogs. The most dangerous on was when the dog caught me and wanted to play and was running into traffic. Had to grab it ans stop traffic
Old 08-31-19, 07:58 PM
Al_in_NH

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
a lot of those people, are angry irritable people with mouths and an attitude. They get them selves into trouble with other people then ...spray and pray.
not all, but MANY !!
Sounds like you were on the losing end of a canister of pepper spray LOL.

but it doesn't have anything to do with your statement that people should take a dog class before being allowed to buy it. So....????
Old 08-31-19, 08:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowridr
Ive had a few experiences with dogs. The most dangerous on was when the dog caught me and wanted to play and was running into traffic. Had to grab it ans stop traffic
This is another reason to spray a dog.

They have ran right into traffic chasing me - tires screeching, motorists swerving. Its a bad scene.

I'm not trying to punish the dog but change its behavior. Spraying with OC pepper spray does no permanent harm to the animal and teaches it not to run into the street and is doing the dog, owner and motorists a favor.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-31-19 at 08:22 PM.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-31-19, 08:46 PM
Metieval

but it doesn't have anything to do with your statement that people should take a dog class before being allowed to buy it. So....????
just answering your question. Do you need me to quote everything like Jim?

quit misconstruing the chronological context! it's intentional dishonest. and does the thread no good.

Old 08-31-19, 08:46 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts

As for taking a dog class though - That's a great idea. Since it is the dog owners responsibility to comply with state laws and local ordinances as they pertain to how they control their pet, every dog owner should have to take a class before they are allowed to HAVE a dog.
Well said. I call them dog owner without a clue. The first rule of dog ownership is: dogs can be trained.

If you don't have time to do it yourself then hire someone. If you can't afford to do one of these, then you shouldn't have a dog. Having a wild dog is unacceptable.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 08-31-19, 09:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I ride a lot of rural paved and gravel roads- haven't been attacked and rarely been chased. When I am chased, ve always viewed it as the dogs wanting to play.

The only time I've been concerned was when a dog ran into the road(gravel) and met me at my front wheel. I almost crushed the dog! The owner was 20' away chopping wood and cussed at the dog then went back to the wood pile.

Gonna keep hoping I manage to defy bikeforums odds and dont have a dog attack story any time soon.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-01-19, 01:04 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I don't care what you say. My dog smiles.
Most of them do. The others probably do, and I just haven't seen them.
Old 09-02-19, 11:22 AM
kahrs

Bikes: Masi, Gitane

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The worst I ever had was when two dawgs decided to chase me in an expensive ruburb. No owner around. I was going uphill and didn't have enough speed. I put the bike between me as they barked. Eventually I had the idea of yelling "GO HOME!" and miracle of miracles that's what they did. I never rode that road again.
Old 09-02-19, 11:26 AM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Yep...Love (not) the people who tell me "My dog won't bite you." And my response is "Sure...Until it does!"

I've owned a few dogs over the years and one of my dogs that was fairly docile (large Golden Retriever) was always great until a friend came to visit and brought his young child with him. While my friend and I were catching up, I noticed his son had waddled off. I immediately tracked him into another room where he had pretty much cornered this 125 lb. animal. Based on the look and expression of my dog's face, I could tell she had almost reached her limits with this child. So I quickly walked over, picked up the kid, brought him back to his dad and suggested he not let his son wander around the house.

So, as I said at the beginning...dogs don't bite, until they do.

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
One time I tried this. Saw a friendly medium-sized dog that wanted to run with me. I figured I'd stop and give him a pet, he was smiling and happy while I slowed down and unclipped my opposite foot. When I unclipped my foot facing him the noise startled him and he bit my ankle.

I don't do this anymore. Dogs don't have predictable behavior patterns in such a way that a cyclist can always safely make a positive assumption by observation. I treat every dog like it's looking for a bite and act accordingly. Tangentially, last weekend was the first time a pair of dogs spotted me riding, perked up and proceeded to charge away from me down the road. If anyone knows how to cultivate this behavior, please post. Here they are running ahead of me down the road barking away like mad

Old 09-02-19, 11:51 AM
vanwormer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
So the other day I took my mountain bike out for a seven mile ride and encountered a couple dogs that came out to "greet" me. I noticed that the dogs tail was up and wagging (good for me), dog was smiling (good for me), and the dogs bark was more of a "come play with me" bark instead of an "I'm going to eat you" bark.

These are farm dogs and used to staying out of the way of pickups so I wasn't worried about running over them, but the bigger of the two dogs got close enough to give my lower leg a few licks (no I don't think he was tasting me to find out if I would be good eating).

Had the tails been down or tucked, and had the bark sounded different and the facial expression been different on the dogs I may have been in trouble or in pain from a bite.

Try to learn to read dog behavior so that you don't get bit especially if you are riding rural roads.
Outsprint it if you can; pepper spray if you can't. A squirt from a water bottle will slow a dog down - but the next time, he'll remember that it was merely an inconvenience. Pepper spray is a whole 'nother story - the dog will also remember it, and want nothing to do with another exposure.
Likes For vanwormer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.