Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

One Man’s View Of Disc Brakes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

One Man’s View Of Disc Brakes

Old 09-06-19, 01:21 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I make similar adjustments when riding my bike in the rain as I do when driving in the rain. It rains enough around here that many riders own rain bikes. Wet roads effect braking, No matter the system. We have ‘New Locals’ bouncing off the Jersey Barriers all the time late fall when the rainy season starts.
Yes, obviously road grip diminishes when its wet, but the claim that the brake is the same is false. Bike disc brakes are severely affected by rain.
Old 09-06-19, 04:19 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
All this talk about what is and isn't affect by rain/wet is hilarious. We already worked this out in cyclocross. 99% of the bikes I see there now are disc except for a few carbon canti masters racers who readily admit they are sticking to inferior carbon wet braking due to cost
Old 09-06-19, 09:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Yes, obviously road grip diminishes when its wet, but the claim that the brake is the same is false. Bike disc brakes are severely affected by rain.
The rotors just turn to rust instantly and wither away, like witches in the Wizard of Oz.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-06-19, 10:01 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The rotors just turn to rust instantly and wither away, like witches in the Wizard of Oz.
And then you get tetanus when you lose a finger to a rusty disc.
Old 09-06-19, 10:09 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
All this talk about what is and isn't affect by rain/wet is hilarious. We already worked this out in cyclocross. 99% of the bikes I see there now are disc except for a few carbon canti masters racers who readily admit they are sticking to inferior carbon wet braking due to cost
Yes and mountain bikes also. I watch a fair amount of cross on Flo Sports. Those guys have amazing balance and ability to stay upright. Watching riders navigate some of those mud pits is incredible.
Old 09-06-19, 11:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by WhyFi
And then you get tetanus when you lose a finger to a rusty disc.
And they weigh 50 to 100 pounds. Nobody has ever climbed a hill with a disc brake bike. The only good thing about them is if a thief ever tries to steal your bike they'll throw their back out. The only reason anybody likes them is brainwashing by the bike industry, they put something in the water and in contrails from jet planes.

Step 1: Kill off rim brakes
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

Seriously, the things people seem to believe about them are kind of goofy.
Old 09-06-19, 01:01 PM
Racing Dan

Ridecule me all you want, doesn't change a thing, except show you have no real arguments.
Old 09-06-19, 02:02 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Ridecule me all you want, doesn't change a thing, except show you have no real arguments.
Don't take yourself too seriously, nobody does.
Old 09-06-19, 02:09 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
How would you describe how carbon rim brake bikes are affected by the rain if you use severely to describe disc brake bikes capability
Old 09-06-19, 02:12 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Rim brakes will kill you in the rain. Disc brakes will slice up bodily parts. I'm taking the brakes off all my bikes.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-06-19, 02:38 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
How would you describe how carbon rim brake bikes are affected by the rain if you use severely to describe disc brake bikes capability
That would be "super ridiculously mega" affected.
Old 09-06-19, 03:00 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Don't take yourself too seriously, nobody does.
Laugh all you want. I can't hardly hear you any way. Your discs squeal too loud ... ;-)

Have no ide why ppl have such a hard time with this. It's just fact. Discs squeal and loose brake power in the rain. Rimbrakes are crap too. Especially with carbon rims.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 09-06-19, 03:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Ppl say discs are not affected by rain. Thats a lie.
You're making a classic straw man argument -- no one on this thread has stated that disc brakes are unaffected by rain.
Old 09-06-19, 03:39 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You're making a classic straw man argument -- no one on this thread has stated that disc brakes are unaffected by rain.
I wasn't addressing anyone In particular. Still feathers were ruffled :-)
Old 09-06-19, 03:50 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
One point I would make is about disc brakes on group rides has to do with how quickly a few of our riders in a pace line will decelerate. I don't know if this falls under "modulation" or what it is but one particular lady who is quite fast who is riding a 2019 Specialized disc Tarmac has almost gotten rear ended by me and my Dura Ace 7800 dual pivot caliper/Mavic Open Pro rim brake on a couple of occasions. Partly (maybe) it might be me decelerating too slowly but mostly it is her decelerating too fast.

Just curious if over braking has been an issue with other road riders. It seems that hydraulic disc brakes on uber lightweight bikes ridden by lightweight riders is the main culprit.

The new titanium Wittson disc frame that I just bought that will be built up has specially curved rear seat stays to accommodate 160 mm rotors to go with the 160 mm front rotors. This sounds like a lot of braking power to me. Which is mostly a good thing. I'm looking forward to finding out.

Last edited by masi61; 09-06-19 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 04:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

I wasn't addressing anyone In particular. Still feathers were ruffled :-)
A hummingbird flew into my home the other day, I caught it in a towel, feathers were for sure ruffled. 🐣
Old 09-06-19, 04:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
One point I would make is about disc breaks on group rides has to do with how quickly a few of our riders in a pace line will decelerate. I don't know if this falls under "modulation" or what it is but one particular lady who is quite fast who is riding a 2019 Specialized disc Tarmac has almost gotten rear ended by me and my Dura Ace 7800 dual pivot caliper/Mavic Open Pro rim brake on a couple of occasions. Partly (maybe) it might be me decelerating too slowly but mostly it is her decelerating too fast.

Just curious if over braking has been an issue with other road riders. It seems that hydraulic disc brakes on uber lightweight bikes ridden by lightweight riders is the main culprit.

The new titanium Wittson disc frame that I just bought that will be built up has specially curved rear seat stays to accommodate 160 mm rotors to go with the 160 mm front rotors. This sounds like a lot of braking power to me. Which is mostly a good thing. I'm looking forward to finding out.
I ride discs in disorderly groups all the time and find them not much different in routine operation from the DA 7800-Al rim combination I have on my other road bike. That said, I am an experienced rider and know wtf I’m doing most of the time.
Old 09-06-19, 06:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

That's right, nobody has an argument to counter the idea that disc brakes are severely diminished in the rain. This is actually an area where rim brakes are much better than discs, but we're trying to keep that a secret because we all get paid every time a rotor comes off and decapitates someone.

I don't know if you've heard, but it rains a lot in Seattle. People who ride here, a lot of us have been doing it long enough to have ridden rim braked bikes, those used to be a thing. Everybody who's had experience riding both types of brake systems in the rain thought you were pulling our legs.
Old 09-09-19, 07:01 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by McNamara
It costs a manufacturer more money to design and build disc and rim brake variants of the same frame. Most of the top end frames still do come in both versions, but I can understand why the manufacturers are moving towards disc-only designs. No, I don't much like it, but I can learn how to do my own maintenance on hydraulic disc brakes if I have to.

And now I'm off to yell at Cannondale for not making the rim brake version of their new Supersix Evo Hi-Mod available to the public.
For an overseas touring bike, I'd like discs, but with V-brake posts on the frame in case something goes wonky and I need to fit V-brakes in a pinch. Maybe this will not be an issue as discs become ubiquitous, wait, let me be more specific... as they standardize mountings, calipers, rotors, and pads so replacements are ubiquitous. I suppose that would stifle innovation, so perhaps not good. So for overseas travel I would spec the brakes for high reliability and high availability of parts. Or carry one spare caliper, rotor, disc, pads.
Old 09-09-19, 08:11 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by rodey
Would you pay a premium for discs, though?

I like discs from the little time I've spent on trying bikes with them. However, would I pay a premium for them? Probably not. Not for the riding I do. For me, direct-mounted rim brakes work awesome, especially since you're likely saving in the neighborhood of $400. That's a decent chunk of change.
yeah but you will end up pay more when you wear through the brake tracks on your $900 ENVE rims
Old 09-09-19, 08:12 PM
Chi_Z

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
For an overseas touring bike, I'd like discs, but with V-brake posts on the frame in case something goes wonky and I need to fit V-brakes in a pinch. Maybe this will not be an issue as discs become ubiquitous, wait, let me be more specific... as they standardize mountings, calipers, rotors, and pads so replacements are ubiquitous. I suppose that would stifle innovation, so perhaps not good. So for overseas travel I would spec the brakes for high reliability and high availability of parts. Or carry one spare caliper, rotor, disc, pads.
you can just run cabled disc, they work just as well but need an extra finger for the same braking force
Old 09-09-19, 08:20 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
you can just run cabled disc, they work just as well but need an extra finger for the same braking force
Lol. They do not.

Endless adjustment due to the pad wear being magnified by the mechanical advantage necessary for discs. Those with disc bikes and cable levers should all be using a hybrid caliper like that TRP number.
Old 09-09-19, 08:41 PM
Chi_Z

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Lol. They do not.

Endless adjustment due to the pad wear being magnified by the mechanical advantage necessary for discs. Those with disc bikes and cable levers should all be using a hybrid caliper like that TRP number.
i have tried TRP spyer to Juintech F1 and now to 8070 di2 Hydro, yes full hydro will allow 1 finger braking from the hood where cable and hybrid would require at least 2 fingers. In the drops, there is little difference because you get alot more leverage on the lever pull. The pad wear adjustment on cabled disk is simply a turn of a screw, it takes 1 second to do and not a big deal. If you are doing so much braking that you wear out the pad on a single ride, I guess you should go full hydro.
Old 09-10-19, 08:52 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
If you are doing so much braking that you wear out the pad on a single ride, I guess you should go full hydro.
I guess I was thinking of the delivery riders coming into the shop every week on their poxy e-bikes for brake adjustments. Cheapest fix in the not very long run was to throw a Shimano hydro brake on instead of adjusting.

But yeah, a decent brake instead of yum cha junk makes adjustment much less hassle.

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-10-19 at 08:55 PM.