Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Video Crank Addict's Teledyne!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 12:04 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 261 Posts

Hey guys,
During the Chicago area ride Crank Addict brought his Teledyne over. We did a video of it. Check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwVE...ature=youtu.be

JJ
Old 10-30-19, 12:19 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Very fine frame and build. I love the black quill bolt. Nice job @crank_addict.
Old 10-30-19, 12:32 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Nice bike and video. Having seen the bike in person it's even more stunning than a computer screen can convey, despite a great video job. I think the neatest part is that it's a rider.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 10-30-19, 04:25 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Great video. Cool bike cave

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-30-19, 07:10 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I'm so jealous of his Titan that I wouldn't even click on this thread.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-30-19, 10:22 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
I had the pleasure of riding with Scott during Coppi Cententario and admiring that bike. Cool bike, cool guy
Old 11-01-19, 11:52 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Thank you, fellows for the kind comments.

Especially to 'one take John' for his adlib and quick, let's make a vid. Lol

Anyways for the topic of bike, for me its surely an interesting one. The origin, why it was made, its Russian sourced tubing, etc..

I also wanted to experience it, though make it very usable, reliable yet retain some vintage character. That being friction shifters, the saddle, toe clips and top feed brake cable levers. A typical higher spoke count wheelset, high flange hub with tubular hoops.

Its an honest tick under 18 lbs. complete as shown though helped by little unseen goodies as titanium and aluminum fasteners.

The trick Omni Racer bottom bracket plus the pedals are a mix blend of pieces to make them most lightweight. The 1st gen Dura Ace large flange hubs are fitted with aftermarket titanium axles plus skewers. Another item is the stem with modified hardware - Cinelli ally draw bolt, Ti bar clamp screw and a custom machined quill wedge in aluminum but with steel thread insert. The wedge is extra long to distribute locking force against the thin Teledyne fork tube, another weak area of these forks.

I intentionally wanted a slight smaller frame for what I normally ride, this to lower its torsional traits. Gearing is all about spinning, less mashing to avoid stressing the prone areas of these Teledynes.

Its a capable rider that requires some confidence and adjusting as well. With the granny gear, you're spinning but greatly sacrificing speed getting to the top. Of course, one could shift up but again, I don't think its too kind for this frame.

Descending at speed is another with some learning 'curve'. The wheelset possibly helps the frames handling character but the bigger issue is fork flexing under braking. Typically a front brake does the majority though this bike requires more rear bias.

Hard to describe but its a rewarding machine, only if you understand it and adjust ones riding style. Very satisfied with comfort and could see this bike one of the first out in early season rides.

Cheers~
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 11-01-19, 04:03 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
jjhabbs, I very much enjoy these close-up videos that you make of each bike. It’s also nice to see forum members appearing lately as well. I’m a truck Driver and I spend quite a bit of time waiting around for my departure times. These videos are wonderful for passing that time in an enjoyable manner. Thanks for that!

Crank_addict what an awesome bike!
Old 11-01-19, 05:23 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Sweet video John, and excellent bike Scott!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-01-19, 05:40 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Thank you, fellows for the kind comments.

Especially to 'one take John' for his adlib and quick, let's make a vid. Lol

Anyways for the topic of bike, for me its surely an interesting one. The origin, why it was made, its Russian sourced tubing, etc..

I also wanted to experience it, though make it very usable, reliable yet retain some vintage character. That being friction shifters, the saddle, toe clips and top feed brake cable levers. A typical higher spoke count wheelset, high flange hub with tubular hoops.

Its an honest tick under 18 lbs. complete as shown though helped by little unseen goodies as titanium and aluminum fasteners.

The trick Omni Racer bottom bracket plus the pedals are a mix blend of pieces to make them most lightweight. The 1st gen Dura Ace large flange hubs are fitted with aftermarket titanium axles plus skewers. Another item is the stem with modified hardware - Cinelli ally draw bolt, Ti bar clamp screw and a custom machined quill wedge in aluminum but with steel thread insert. The wedge is extra long to distribute locking force against the thin Teledyne fork tube, another weak area of these forks.

I intentionally wanted a slight smaller frame for what I normally ride, this to lower its torsional traits. Gearing is all about spinning, less mashing to avoid stressing the prone areas of these Teledynes.

Its a capable rider that requires some confidence and adjusting as well. With the granny gear, you're spinning but greatly sacrificing speed getting to the top. Of course, one could shift up but again, I don't think its too kind for this frame.

Descending at speed is another with some learning 'curve'. The wheelset possibly helps the frames handling character but the bigger issue is fork flexing under braking. Typically a front brake does the majority though this bike requires more rear bias.

Hard to describe but its a rewarding machine, only if you understand it and adjust ones riding style. Very satisfied with comfort and could see this bike one of the first out in early season rides.

Cheers~
By the way Crank Addict. This video is the fasted to 700 views of all my vids! It must be your charming face on the cover.

JJ
Old 11-02-19, 07:20 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
A very amazing Teledyne, I really like the alpine gearing!!!

: Mike
Old 11-02-19, 07:46 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Great story. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-03-19, 07:21 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Very nice! I enjoy all of your videos of your fantastic bike collection as well as the guest spots.
Is it OK if we call you the Jay Leno of the bicycle world?
Old 11-05-19, 09:46 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Very nice! I enjoy all of your videos of your fantastic bike collection as well as the guest spots.
Is it OK if we call you the Jay Leno of the bicycle world?
That makes Scott uh, as a guest...Tim Allen.
Likes For RobbieTunes: