Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 01:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
"A gift or a present is an item given to someone without the expectation of payment or anything in return."

So if a husband gifts his wife with a Peloton spin bike as a gift then he expects nothing in return. Or else it wasn't a GIFT!

So to all those ranting and crying about Peloton not being politically correct, please quit calling the spin bike in the ad a GIFT. I mean if you're all so concerned about being Correct and all.......

You can't call it a gift and Sexist in the same breath and be correct on both accounts.
Wow, that's a really stupid gotcha. By that logic, a couple can't, by definition, give each other gifts on a holiday because they're expecting their spouse to do likewise.

It's almost like language and behavior have subtler implications than you're capable of grasping.
Old 12-05-19, 03:45 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
My sense watching the ad is the problem isn't really the storyline, it's her performance. There's something creepy about her excessive displays of excitement and gratitude, and I think women are finding that portrayal extremely condescending.

No question this ad is a colossal own goal. Any man considering giving this as a gift is now getting the message women may find it insulting.
You know, I completely agree with this. There is something particularly creepy about her demeanor in that ad. It reminds of the way I used to feel when I was a kid and I snuck a (totally not parentally permitted) viewing of a Hitchcock film.
Old 12-05-19, 04:22 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Trying to reflect a typical relationship in an advertisement is only ever going to end badly.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 12-05-19, 04:38 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Tempest in a teacup.

Life will go on if you don't post every thought you have online, in fact it might actually improve.

If you ever want to know a person, read all of their online commentary for a year, its quite shocking how little people value their own privacy anymore.
Likes For SHBR:
Old 12-05-19, 05:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by SHBR
Tempest in a teacup.

Life will go on if you don't post every thought you have online, in fact it might actually improve.

If you ever want to know a person, read all of their online commentary for a year, its quite shocking how little people value their own privacy anymore.

​​​​​​Well, that may be but this ad has, at this point, been disastrous for Peloton. It demonstrates that not anticipating social media response to ads is going to be marketing malpractice from now on.
Old 12-05-19, 05:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Trying to reflect a typical relationship in an advertisement is only ever going to end badly.
"Typical " people don't buy $2300 exercise bikes with $40/month subscription fees as gifts. If you look at all of its advertising, Peloton is selling a status-symbol. That's why "giving it to your wife is insulting" is a message that Peloton really can't afford. If you're selling image, the definition of that image is vital.

Show of hands-- how many people reading this thread actually use a Peloton?
Old 12-05-19, 05:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Made the Boston Globe (Yeah, you might not be able to get past the paywall, don't worry about it. Not much to see here other than what's reported everywhere.)

Except the very weak "local" angle is that she is "Grace from Boston." (No relation to @Jim from Boston?)

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have been reading this thread, but with no intention to reply. But thanks @mr_bill for the nod, and for the reference to the Boston Globe. My wife does subscribe, and now have to read it though no relation to Grace from Boston.

Indeed, I’m surprised that such a seemingly un-PC ad would be launched in our People’s Republic though there is a Peleton store in the Prudential Center in tony Back Bay… A woman professional in our organization, seemingly independent and “liberated” has in the past highly touted her Peleton to me.

My wife and I were active cycling tourists in the 70s and 80s…I cycle commute and she rides the Charles River Bikepath and regularly works out, usually at Healthworks (a gym for Women)....

On occasion when asked what I'm buying my wife for special occasion, I reply, “a lovely ironing board cover.” [Just Kidding]
Originally Posted by Maelochs
That would be the definition and perfect example of sexism .... I hope she doesn't ride a Peloton there.
My sense watching the ad is the problem isn't really the storyline, it's her performance.

There's something creepy about her excessive displays of excitement and gratitude, and I think women are finding that portrayal extremely condescending
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I finally watched the ad and I too thought the performance was over the top but probably typical of Madison Avenue. As I noted above though, my (female) colleague gushed about her Peleton.

The only suggestions I noticed of a Boston locale were the outdoor scenes in the background appropriate to Boston’s climate, namely Winter and Fall.

Maybe an image of a “strong” woman would be of a year round outdoor cyclist.
…So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here.

Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-05-19 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-05-19, 06:29 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I use mine all the time. Far superior, especially if you have pets. And it comes with lots of attachments. Well worth my $975 for the C3 Cat & Dog Complete.
Glad you are a satisfied customer.
Old 12-05-19, 06:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I finally watched the ad and I too thought the performance was over the top but probably typical of Madison Avenue. As I noted above though, my (female) colleague gushed about her Peleton.

The only suggestions I noticed of a Boston locale were the outdoor scenes in the background appropriate to Boston’s climate, namely Winter and Fall.

Maybe an image of a “strong” woman would be of a year round outdoor cyclist.

I don't think outdoor cyclists are their market. I talked to a male in my office who has a Peloton. He bought it right before his daughter was born because he knew that going to the gym after work was going to be problematic or getting her from daycare. He's never been a cyclist. I think that's their real market--busy professionals and stay at home parents.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-05-19, 07:13 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

I'd like to see that in a poll, just for curiosity's sake. Probably would have to include cycling or cyclists in the poll question.
Old 12-05-19, 08:27 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Pffft, this is a smart trainer and rollers crowd!
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 12-05-19, 08:52 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
IMHO, you see the back story that you are looking for.

You see what you look for.

dave
And if it's not readily apparent, you engage in the mental gymnastics necessary to make it fit.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-05-19, 08:54 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Might have something to do with the stock having spiked to its all-time high the day before. Basically, that $942 million of value only existed for about 24 hours.

OTOH, this really is an image-driven brand, as evidenced by the fact that their ads almost always show the bike in a place of prominence in a luxurious home. It's possible that the brand is especially vulnerable to negative connotations--the target audience for that ad was the gift-givers, and they might really be scared off by the backlash. "This expensive gift might buy you resentment" is not a good message for your brand.
Come to think of it, I cannot recall a BMW ad where the car pulls up to a double wide and the mullet adorned driver gets out with a Bud in his hand.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-05-19, 09:03 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
My sense watching the ad is the problem isn't really the storyline, it's her performance. There's something creepy about her excessive displays of excitement and gratitude, and I think women are finding that portrayal extremely condescending.

No question this ad is a colossal own goal. Any man considering giving this as a gift is now getting the message women may find it insulting.
Exactly this, it's the cringeworthy reaction of the wife and people are projecting it as the husband's fault. I mean he must be domineering for her to react like that, it's like giving her a vacuum cleaner for Christmas. (end sarcasm).

Last edited by jadocs; 12-05-19 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-05-19, 09:06 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

It was after reading this thread and other threads on other forums that I finally watched the ad. Even pre-loaded with the bias, the ad did not move a needle with me. It didn't register appreciably in any way. It came off as just another corny ad the way so many ads do today. I certainly didn't find offense in it and didn't see offense while trying to view it through the lens of the offended. Calling that offensive in any way is a horrible stretch.

I think our society desperately needs to seek out connection rather than division in all aspects of our lives.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-05-19, 09:16 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm not saying any of these articles are presenting bias, but...

Peleton only went public about 10 weeks ago, and today's current valuation is right about where it was 7 days ago, which was its previous high before the weekend bump.

People gotta be outraged about something.
Old 12-05-19, 09:16 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

​​​​​​Well, that may be but this ad has, at this point, been disastrous for Peloton. It demonstrates that not anticipating social media response to ads is going to be marketing malpractice from now on.
It may prove to be disastrous, but my observations of the market tell me I shouldn't look to a single day or a single short term event as significant.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-05-19, 09:19 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

*sigh*

This whole thread is a classic first world problem.

Just imagine having ALL of your internet history gone through and checked for "mental hygiene".

Yet that day is here, and its entirely possible, on this side of the planet.

I just went through ALL of my wife's online history, including private messages and email, for the past year and vice versa for her.

Sound crazy?, It is. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear right?

You might be surprised at how much can be learned by analyzing data, especially social media comments.

Information technology is no joke, its a necessary evil that is a powerful weapon in the wrong hands.
Old 12-05-19, 09:25 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

*sigh*

This whole thread is a classic first world problem.

Just imagine having ALL of your internet history gone through and checked for "mental hygiene".

Yet that day is here, and its entirely possible, on this side of the planet.

I just went through ALL of my wife's online history, including private messages and email, for the past year and vice versa for her.

Sound crazy?, It is. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear right?

You might be surprised at how much can be learned by analyzing data, especially social media comments.

Information technology is no joke, its a necessary evil that is a powerful weapon in the wrong hands.
That's certainly interesting, but can you help me connect it to the Peloton Ad?
Old 12-05-19, 09:30 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I think our society desperately needs to seek out connection rather than division in all aspects of our lives.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Younger generations will interact with people through the internet and nothing else, and then given a score based on how well they interact with each other, and especially the state.

Happy Happy Joy Joy.

Last edited by SHBR; 12-05-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-05-19, 09:33 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

That's certainly interesting, but can you help me connect it to the Peloton Ad?
Really?

You might want to learn how to connect the dots and read between the lines a bit better, I'm not going to elaborate any further.

Last edited by SHBR; 12-05-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-05-19, 09:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Happy happy Joy Joy.
I am trying to enhance my calm.
Old 12-05-19, 09:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Come to think of it, I cannot recall a BMW ad where the car pulls up to a double wide and the mullet adorned driver gets out with a Bud Keystone Lite in his hand.
FIFY. Hey, Ethel. We're gonna make it a December to remember, I tell you me.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-05-19, 09:43 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am trying to enhance my calm.
Old 12-05-19, 10:19 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

It's almost like language and behavior have subtler implications than you're capable of grasping.
Well it is 2019 if you don't like the definition of a word, then make up your own definition!
That's the way of America now.

up used to mean up, and down used to mean down.

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.