Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 10:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Kool Stop is making disc pads now. I guess that means discs are indeed, mainstream.
Old 02-27-20, 10:53 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
but at least they can look sleek.
Of course I can't find a picture of it now, but the new Fuji Transonic disc has a nice lil flare/fairing built into the fork, and a recess in the rear triangle for the rear caliper. Some thought def went into the design.
Old 02-27-20, 06:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Kool Stop is making disc pads now. I guess that means discs are indeed, mainstream.
Are they salmon colored?
Old 02-27-20, 06:59 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
SwissStop also makes disc brake pads.
Old 02-27-20, 07:02 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Are they salmon colored?
Here you go:

Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977
Old 02-28-20, 07:25 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
In my case, you're right, I don't care, much.

The aesthetics bother me a bit, I find the appearance of a bike with discs somewhat jarring, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I've (mostly) gotten used to sloping top tubes, bulbous head tubes, big diameter frame tubes, aero rims, etc.

Personally, my single bikes have rim brakes and I've never had a problem stopping, but I don't ride huge mountains, I don't have carbon wheels, and in the wet I just slow down and I start braking earlier to compensate for wet rims.

I do like the mechanical disc brakes I have on our tandem. There was a learning process entailed in changing the disc brake pads, but even the first time didn't take any longer than changing/adjusting the canti brakes on my tourer.
Old 02-28-20, 10:46 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The most surprising thing about this entire thread is how many cyclists ride in flat places. Apparently we're talking flat like a pancake, not flat like a waffle. That makes me sad. All of you need to come out here and ride across the North Cascades this summer. After Washington Pass you get a 45 minute descent into wildflowers and great restaurants.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-28-20, 10:48 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
In my case, you're right, I don't care, much.

The aesthetics bother me a bit, I find the appearance of a bike with discs somewhat jarring, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I've (mostly) gotten used to sloping top tubes, bulbous head tubes, big diameter frame tubes, aero rims, etc.

Personally, my single bikes have rim brakes and I've never had a problem stopping, but I don't ride huge mountains, I don't have carbon wheels, and in the wet I just slow down and I start braking earlier to compensate for wet rims.

I do like the mechanical disc brakes I have on our tandem. There was a learning process entailed in changing the disc brake pads, but even the first time didn't take any longer than changing/adjusting the canti brakes on my tourer.
How about the propensity for people to ride much smaller frames than in the past followed by extended seatposts, plenty of head tube spacers and riser stems. I have gotten used to Disc brakes but not the small frame thing. So many times I see people posting glamour shots of their bikes on this forum with stems cranked to the moon and I need to accept this is the new pretty.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 02-28-20 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-28-20, 11:00 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by velopig
How about the propensity for people to ride much smaller frames than in the past followed by extended seatposts, plenty of head tube spacers and riser stems. I have gotten used to Disc brakes but not the small frame thing. So many times I see people posting glamour shots of their bikes on this forum with stems cranked to the moon and I need to accept this is the new pretty.
I agree. It's very hard to look at over a foot of seatpost.
Old 02-28-20, 11:02 AM
noodle soup

So many times I see people posting glamour shots of their bikes on this forum with stems cranked to the moon and I need to accept this is the new pretty.
You won’t find that look accepted here.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-28-20, 11:09 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Agree. Pros also ride similar setups, which makes me believe that there is an advantage somewhere (most likely in performance).

On my end, I opted for a ML frame instead of a L for reasons of availability. According to the sizing chart, my height and inseam, I was in between the two sizes. My seatpost & stems are raised, but not as much as other cyclists I meet on roads.

Old 02-28-20, 11:17 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
S l a m m e d

Old 02-28-20, 11:28 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Cypress
S l a m m e d

Gotta love that SL frame's integrated seat-post! Your stem is definitively lower than mine, but the seat-post height looks similar. Probably just the angle of the picture
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-28-20, 11:47 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by eduskator
Gotta love that SL frame's integrated seat-post! Your stem is definitively lower than mine, but the seat-post height looks similar. Probably just the angle of the picture
I love the ISP...now. I didn't love it so much when I had to take a hacksaw to my brand new top-shelf frame module on three separate occasions to get the seat height set correctly
Old 02-28-20, 12:25 PM
eduskator

I love the ISP...now. I didn't love it so much when I had to take a hacksaw to my brand new top-shelf frame module on three separate occasions to get the seat height set correctly
This was one of my concerns when I saw it at my LBS. I mean, it's not that bad if you don't cut enough, but it's another story if you cut too much of it...

Is there any adjustment on the seat clamp or is it a hit or miss kind of thing?
Old 02-28-20, 12:32 PM
Cypress

This was one of my concerns when I saw it at my LBS. I mean, it's not that bad if you don't cut enough, but it's another story if you cut too much of it...

Is there any adjustment on the seat clamp or is it a hit or miss kind of thing?
The frame comes with a bunch of aluminum ISP spacers of every thickness. The idea is you cut it close to where you want it, then shim the ISP under the mast topper. I ended up cutting mine so close to where I wanted it that I sanded about 0.25 mm off of the post itself, covered the exposed carbon it in clear nail polish, and run it with no spacers. I'd say a person could make up about an inch with the spacers before it reaches the max-spacer mark. The topper is meant to rest on something, as the tiny pinch bolt on the topper is only meant to keep the topper and seat from flying off of the ISP or jiggling around when you hit bumps.
Old 02-28-20, 12:38 PM
seypat

It needs to be said. Those 2 bikes posted above don't look like Giant bikes at all. They both look average size, at best.

I know, don't quit my day job.
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-28-20, 12:51 PM
Cypress

It needs to be said. Those 2 bikes posted above don't look like Giant bikes at all. They both look average size, at best.

I know, don't quit my day job.
A friend of mine was in the Navy many years ago. Whenever he'd get new orders, he'd have to make an itemized list of valuables for the moving company to cover potential losses/damage and to get an idea of what kind of container they'd need to request. At one point he put his "Giant bicycle" on the list and got a phone call from the moving company asking "exactly how big is this giant bicycle???"
Old 02-28-20, 01:00 PM
seypat

A friend of mine was in the Navy many years ago. Whenever he'd get new orders, he'd have to make an itemized list of valuables for the moving company to cover potential losses/damage and to get an idea of what kind of container they'd need to request. At one point he put his "Giant bicycle" on the list and got a phone call from the moving company asking "exactly how big is this giant bicycle???"
That's funny! On a serious note, how is the word "Giant" when referring to the bicycle company actually pronounced? I've heard something on the lines of "Gee-aunt" with a hard G.
Old 02-28-20, 03:12 PM
Cypress

That's funny! On a serious note, how is the word "Giant" when referring to the bicycle company actually pronounced? I've heard something on the lines of "Gee-aunt" with a hard G.
"Hee-yain't"
Old 02-28-20, 03:23 PM
seypat

"Hee-yain't"
Got it.
Old 02-28-20, 04:12 PM
noodle soup

Agree. Pros also ride similar setups, which makes me believe that there is an advantage somewhere (most likely in performance).

On my end, I opted for a ML frame instead of a L for reasons of availability. According to the sizing chart, my height and inseam, I was in between the two sizes. My seatpost & stems are raised, but not as much as other cyclists I meet on roads.

too many spacers for it to be "Hot".

Half that is acceptable.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-28-20, 05:02 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I buy the size that gives me a 10cm saddle to bar drop, with a -17 stem and no spacers. If I find the drop to be too much after I'm in my 70's, I can change to a -6 and get the bars 2cm higher.
Old 02-28-20, 05:15 PM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Last weekend, Nairo Quintana blazed up the notorious 10km climb to Chalet Reynard on Mont Ventoux, to win stage three of the Tour de la Provence and take the overall race lead.

...Quintana rode a bike equipped with disc brakes.
And three days ago Adam Yates blew the doors off of everyone at Jebel Hafeet on a disc-equipped Scott...
Old 02-28-20, 05:18 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
And three days ago Adam Yates blew the doors off of everyone at Jebel Hafeet on a disc-equipped Scott...
That explains the stock market crash ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.