Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best platform pedals for road bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best platform pedals for road bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 12:56 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
The more I think about it, the less I am wanting a clipless setup. While I understand the benefits, I just hate having my feet locked in place (have used both cages and straps before and could never get used to them).

Whatever you're most comfortable with is what you should go with. For what it's worth...When I got my first hybrid I put cages on and hated them. I could never get my feet out comfortably. I tried plastic half cages and couldn't stand them. I ride 95% of the time clipped in (SPD's) and love it. Once you're used to clipless, you may like them. Yes, you're locked in but they're easy to get out of. Borrow shoes and ask the LBS for loaner pedals (my LBS loans shoes too) and give them a try. I found that there's a big difference between cages and SPD clipless, but that's just me.

Last edited by MAK; 11-27-20 at 10:50 PM.
Likes For MAK:
Old 04-18-20, 03:54 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
CRANK BROS >STAMP> titanium : perfect transition from MTB to road riding ... large platform ... built forever ... never clip again
Old 04-18-20, 04:22 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Super classy pedals.
Old 04-18-20, 06:15 PM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by bran1986
Hey Everyone,

I will be picking up my new 2020 Specialized Allez tomorrow and have a quick question about pedals. I am currently transitioning from a 29'er mountain bike and with everything being closed due to the pandemic, I do not want to convert to a clipless setup quite yet. With that said, I am looking for a decent set of platform pedals in the $50 range to hold me over until I transition to clipless in the future.

Thanks for all suggestions; it's good to be back! (I was a member on these forums over a decade ago, but can't remember my user name).
Local bike shops and online stores are still open. I actually just upgraded my PD540's to Ultegra R8000s.
​​​​​​
Flat pedals on a road bike would be like bench seats in a Ferrari, completely wrong application.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 04-18-20, 06:18 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Local bike shops and online stores are still open. I actually just upgraded my PD540's to Ultegra R8000s.
​​​​​​
Flat pedals on a road bike would be like bench seats in a Ferrari, completely wrong application.
not for everyone
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 04-18-20, 06:37 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
not for everyone
Putting power on down is far more difficult (and dangerous) to do without clip-less pedals. If you are a very casual riders this might by acceptable, but if you going group rides/tough solos and sprinting out-of-the-saddle they're a must.

I once tried sprinting on flats, I mean like seriously trying to put watts down, and, well, the result was a lot of blood and almost tearing through my archilles tendon. It was... Painful.

Not only that, but you're impervious to bumps in the road bucking you off your bike. I've hit some that would have thrown me right off the pedals if I wasn't clipped-in.

And finally, not only are you more efficient, allowing you to ride faster and stronger, but your pedal stroke will be much smoother too, especially at higher cadences.

I've tried both and just can't understand why one would ever choose flats for any sort of serious riding.

Old 04-18-20, 08:35 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
​​​​​​
I think flat pedals are more like bench seats in a GMC Suburban. You can still go 100mph. And, if anything gets in the way you can run right over it without losing control. (Totally relaxed with one finger on the steering wheel).
Old 04-18-20, 08:38 PM
ramzilla

This is my carbon fiber Fuji that I ride up and down A1A full blast with flat pedals. (The horror, oh the horror........).

Old 04-18-20, 08:50 PM
ramzilla

My super bad Ironman with flat pedals. This bike is approved for downhill rides & has exceeded 40mph on many occasions.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 04-18-20, 09:00 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by ramzilla
This is my carbon fiber Fuji that I ride up and down A1A full blast with flat pedals. (The horror, oh the horror........).

There is contrarian in every circle. Proves nothing. Ask a pro team what they would think about the safety and efficiency of flats vs clipless and you know what the answer would be.
Old 04-18-20, 09:28 PM
ramzilla

Sorry if I've offended anyone here. But, let's not forget the original purpose of this post. IMHO I've done a good job of demonstrating the best platform pedals for a road bike. Be good. Have fun.
Old 04-19-20, 09:49 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Putting power on down is far more difficult (and dangerous) to do without clip-less pedals. If you are a very casual riders this might by acceptable, but if you going group rides/tough solos and sprinting out-of-the-saddle they're a must.

I once tried sprinting on flats, I mean like seriously trying to put watts down, and, well, the result was a lot of blood and almost tearing through my archilles tendon. It was... Painful.

Not only that, but you're impervious to bumps in the road bucking you off your bike. I've hit some that would have thrown me right off the pedals if I wasn't clipped-in.

And finally, not only are you more efficient, allowing you to ride faster and stronger, but your pedal stroke will be much smoother too, especially at higher cadences.

I've tried both and just can't understand why one would ever choose flats for any sort of serious riding.

Well, IMHO (and I'm not just a "very casual rider") it does depend quite a lot on what type of flats and shoes you're wearing. If you're feet were coming off the pedals so badly that you were shredding your legs that's clearly not a good set up. I hammer off-road and on-road with flat pedals with aggressive pins and Five Ten shoes, and my feet don't move unless it's intentional. I ride hard, FWIW.
Think about all the serious mountain bikers that use flats w/pins for very aggressive riding - would they do that if their feet kept coming off the pedals? That could be catastrophic. But, it has to be the right pedals, and the right shoes....

Last edited by pbass; 04-19-20 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-19-20, 10:36 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
the poster asked about PLATFORMS for road RIDING not really road racing or macho manning 40mph+ and I think it's more than fair to say to all the maximum optimizers of bike pedaling biomechanics that within a few few minutes any platformer can arrive wherever a clipped in guy can arrive so the need to be clipped is more often than not a matter of vanity and remember a PLATFORMER can walk around in much more comfortable shoes and there are many $40-$75 pedals if you don't want to commit to a $$$ crank bro

Last edited by jack pot; 04-19-20 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-19-20, 11:27 AM
bran1986

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Didn't mean to start a whole debate. I have nothing against clipless and will definitely consider them in the future. Right now I'm just trying to make this transition as seamless as possible. Getting my body used to the seating position is probably the biggest thing at this point. I just figured staying with pedals I know would help with the process.

Regardless, I ended up going with the VP Vice per the suggestions on this thread (and they came in grey which is the color I was looking for). Got them for right around $50 shipped on Amazon.

Last edited by bran1986; 04-19-20 at 11:44 AM.
Likes For bran1986: