Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Merino wool cycling shorts?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-24-20, 09:38 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts

I’ve got several different brands of Merino wool underwear and base layers but none of them are seamless in the crotch area.

anyone know of some good merino boxer-briefs or cycling shorts?

love merino and it’s anti-funk properties!
Old 04-25-20, 02:57 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I don't think merino wool is needed, because usually riders use a pad of some sort. My old blackbottoms weren't anywhere near as smooth as merino wool. The chamois provided comfort.

Kucharik still sells wool shorts - https://www.kucharikclothing.com/woo...83p0k5a8fgko53. I've seen them other places but I can't remember where.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-25-20, 03:11 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I think merino cycling shorts would wear very quickly, that is why you son;t see any.
Old 04-25-20, 04:46 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
I think merino cycling shorts would wear very quickly, that is why you son;t see any.
I still have my pair with the true chamois insert (too small now and not from shrinkage). I wore them for many seasons and they are still intact.

You do not see them now for reasons of cost, fashion, and the worship of new high-tech wicking fabrics, while Merino is the "original" wicking fabric.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 04-25-20 at 05:21 PM.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 04-25-20, 04:54 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Boure and Cima Coppi both have wool shorts.
Likes For kingston:
Old 04-25-20, 05:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
That hasn't been my experience. I bought a couple pairs of Protogs merino wool shorts back in the late 70s, and they're still doing fine. The original leather chamois and waist elastic wore out and had to be replaced (thanks, Kucharik!), but the wool is still holding up fine. I can't say the same for lycra shorts I've bought over the years.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-25-20, 05:41 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Originally Posted by philbob57
I don't think merino wool is needed, because usually riders use a pad of some sort. My old blackbottoms weren't anywhere near as smooth as merino wool. The chamois provided comfort.

Kucharik still sells wool shorts - https://www.kucharikclothing.com/woo...83p0k5a8fgko53. I've seen them other places but I can't remember where.
Thanks for the link. Whoaaah expensive!

​​​​​​
Old 04-25-20, 05:44 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by kingston
Boure and Cima Coppi both have wool shorts.
Although expensive, I'd pay the $ for a perfect fitting and performing quality product that lasts. Thanks for links.
Old 04-25-20, 05:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
"Anti-Funk"? How many days are you riding before changing clothes?
Old 04-25-20, 05:48 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That hasn't been my experience. I bought a couple pairs of Protogs merino wool shorts back in the late 70s, and they're still doing fine. The original leather chamois and waist elastic wore out and had to be replaced (thanks, Kucharik!), but the wool is still holding up fine. I can't say the same for lycra shorts I've bought over the years.
Well that is good to know because I love merino. Just have had some bad experiences with Merino gloves and cycling.
Old 04-25-20, 06:00 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Although expensive, I'd pay the $ for a perfect fitting and performing quality product that lasts. Thanks for links.
I got a pair of the cima coppi bibs last season with wool knee warmers a few of their wool jerseys, a wool base-layer and some arm warmers. It's all top-notch.
Old 04-25-20, 06:34 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
From the mid-'60s to the early '80s, I rode in wool shorts, including high-quality Italian brands. But I was happy to switch to Lycra shorts when those came along: first Giordana and then any number of others, preferably Italian. If you want Lycra shorts that fit right and don't wear out, buy the expensive ones made from thick Lycra (i.e., the ones that cost as much as the currently available wool shorts).

In an early Rivendell Reader, Grant Pedersen published an interview with his friend Maynard Hershon, a terrific writer some people will remember from his columns in VeloNews in the old days. When Grant asked Maynard what he would say was the most important innovation in the bike world that had come along during his writing days, Maynard immediately replied, "Lycra shorts."

Grant told him he'd change his mind if he tried Kucharik wool shorts and said, "I'll send you a pair." Maynard said, "I love you, Grant. Please don't send me any wool shorts."

You have to respect Grant P for not omitting that exchange from the published interview.
Old 04-25-20, 07:20 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
"Anti-Funk"? How many days are you riding before changing clothes?
just one but I can get funky in a day
Old 01-04-21, 01:43 PM
Redhed 

Bikes: 14' Colnago CLD, 02' Schwinn Mesa GSX, 2005 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for this thread. I have been having issues with my cold weather gear. I have Louis Garneau winter cycling pants. I wear merino wool knee high socks under them. But my thighs and butt are so cold by the end of a ride they can sting. Typically that happens below freezing or depends on the wind. I bought a base layer merino legging, but those have a seam in the crotch area and my lady parts took a serious beating wearing them 2 rides each longer than 17 miles. OUCH! So I thought maybe I could just get some merino shorts, or something else completely. Because of your comments, I see many options possibly on the Kucharik site. Maybe the Knee Warmers as they cover the thighs, but that leaves the butt cheeks. LOL I don't want to double chamois either. Both sites even make custom stuff, which is expensive but pretty cool. I am short, 5'2" and for example, my Louis Garneau pants have reticulated knees, but the knees never sit in the right place because I have stubby ass legs. The struggle is real...... At least now, I have some options to look into. In Missouri it has been pretty mild of a winter so far, but the worst is yet to come temp wise. I will ride in below zero weather, I never miss a day unless it ices up.
Old 01-04-21, 02:27 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
My brother and I both used Protog wool cycling shorts for at least a decade. Very hearty shorts that don't wear out quickly. I still use a pair of Jackson wool leg warmers from the mid-eighties. Wool is good when properly cared for. Lycra on the other hand just ain't durable unless you get the thicker stuff. Boure makes the Pro short and Pro bib. I have a Pro bib still in service from 1998, and am going into the third year with the Pro short. The thin chamois is quite right for my needs. Can't say enough good about their products, and they are not crazy priced like other high-end brands.
Old 01-04-21, 02:47 PM
Redhed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My brother and I both used Protog wool cycling shorts for at least a decade. Very hearty shorts that don't wear out quickly. I still use a pair of Jackson wool leg warmers from the mid-eighties. Wool is good when properly cared for. Lycra on the other hand just ain't durable unless you get the thicker stuff. Boure makes the Pro short and Pro bib. I have a Pro bib still in service from 1998, and am going into the third year with the Pro short. The thin chamois is quite right for my needs. Can't say enough good about their products, and they are not crazy priced like other high-end brands.
Thank you, I will check that as well. I have found that wool is amazing. Just gotta get the right tools for the job, so to speak.
Old 01-04-21, 05:32 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by TiHabanero

i searched but couldn’t get any web match for Protog wool cycling shorts. Got a link?
Old 01-04-21, 09:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

i searched but couldn’t get any web match for Protog wool cycling shorts. Got a link?
I suspect they've been out of business for a couple decades now. Not much for new production wool shorts besides Kucharik these days.
Old 01-05-21, 01:32 PM
Redhed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anyone had good experience with Kucharik? I emailed asking for measurement's of knee warmers and he was very curt and did not really answer the question. Then I replied asking about what a "seat liner" looked like, because I could not find it on their site. Again, he did not answer the question, but replied with it is made of wool. ********** I will order the knee warmers to start, because they have a no questions asked return policy, but the replies/customer service doesn't seem very good. Maybe he was having a bad day?
Old 01-05-21, 04:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Redhed
Has anyone had good experience with Kucharik?
I've never had a problem with Kucharik. Over the years, I've had them replace chamois and elastic in my wool shorts and tights. Always good workmanship and prompt.
Old 01-05-21, 04:20 PM
Redhed 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback, I think maybe emails are not his thing. I am hoping this works out. I am really excited to find wool.
Old 01-06-21, 01:35 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Cold weather gear

Originally Posted by Redhed
Thanks for this thread. I have been having issues with my cold weather gear. I have Louis Garneau winter cycling pants. I wear merino wool knee high socks under them. But my thighs and butt are so cold by the end of a ride they can sting. Typically that happens below freezing or depends on the wind. I bought a base layer merino legging, but those have a seam in the crotch area and my lady parts took a serious beating wearing them 2 rides each longer than 17 miles. OUCH! So I thought maybe I could just get some merino shorts, or something else completely. Because of your comments, I see many options possibly on the Kucharik site. Maybe the Knee Warmers as they cover the thighs, but that leaves the butt cheeks. LOL I don't want to double chamois either. Both sites even make custom stuff, which is expensive but pretty cool. I am short, 5'2" and for example, my Louis Garneau pants have reticulated knees, but the knees never sit in the right place because I have stubby ass legs. The struggle is real...... At least now, I have some options to look into. In Missouri it has been pretty mild of a winter so far, but the worst is yet to come temp wise. I will ride in below zero weather, I never miss a day unless it ices up.
I've been there. I found that I did not need to have wool as the very base layer to be effective. My point of view is as a Minnesota winter rider, typically single digits to -20 actual temps. I initially went with my typical summer bike shorts, wool knee high socks, and the outer layer wind blocking pants....worked, but I definitely had some cold spots. Picked up some black bib co. knickers (cold weather plush), their regular summer weight knickers, and some from Aerotech (their cheapy $39 ones). All work good in layers. I found even having the summer weight knicker covering my knees, paired with wool socks, light weight wool tights over them, and then finally my outer layer pants (Craft fat biking pants) seems to be the ticket. The wool's job is to absorb the "indoor" moisture created by the vapor trapped underneath the outer pant. This combo seems to work for me quite well.

Similar method on top...Craft mesh tank top, wool base layer longsleeve, wool jersey, outer jacket, and then similar layers on my face/head. Good luck.
Old 01-06-21, 07:41 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I’ve got several different brands of Merino wool underwear and base layers but none of them are seamless in the crotch area.

anyone know of some good merino boxer-briefs or cycling shorts?

love merino and it’s anti-funk properties!
But are they virgin wool????
Old 01-06-21, 08:01 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by rydabent
But are they virgin wool????
NOT ANYMORE they’re not...