Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

To All the Cycling Slobs...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

To All the Cycling Slobs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 07:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with posting that "I've seen x bad behavior by cyclists repeatedly, don't do that" on a bicycle forum, and find it weird that people would consider that trolling. If this kind of littering is occurring, that's highly relevant to bicyclists because a) it's obvious that bicyclists are doing it and b) the stuff is most likely to pose a hazard to other bicyclists.

If you're littering while biking, knock it off. If not, why are you offended by the OP? I haven't witnessed this kind of littering, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I really don't get the relevance of the beer can thing. Is that whataboutism, or is it two wrongs make a right?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-12-20, 07:35 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Is somebody yelling????
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 05-12-20, 07:36 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Originally Posted by indyfabz
He was crying for the canals in Venice. He should be smiling now.
Old 05-12-20, 07:39 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think there's anything wrong with posting that "I've seen x bad behavior by cyclists repeatedly, don't do that" on a bicycle forum, and find it weird that people would consider that trolling. If this kind of littering is occurring, that's highly relevant to bicyclists because a) it's obvious that bicyclists are doing it and b) the stuff is most likely to pose a hazard to other bicyclists.

If you're littering while biking, knock it off. If not, why are you offended by the OP? I haven't witnessed this kind of littering, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I really don't get the relevance of the beer can thing. Is that whataboutism, or is it two wrongs make a right?
It was his inflammatory tone, and his assumption that all of us “snobs” are the reason his wife crashed and his roads are littered.

Seems like folks love to put roadies down on this forum, and hold this sanctimonious attitude like their crap doesn’t stink. These are usually the same people shouting “steal is real!” and going on about how they just love their friction shifters and cantilever brakes.

We all have our preferences and tastes, yet it seems like roadies get trashed for theirs.
Old 05-12-20, 07:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,407 Times in 2,746 Posts
Three pages, any guilty Humboltians fess up yet?
Old 05-12-20, 08:02 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The only trash I see that can be identified as dropped by cyclists is banana peels. Who else is going to drop a banana peel in the middle of the road? I don't have to ride MUPs, maybe it's more common where you have a bunch of inexperienced folks riding bikes.
when I was working, one person in our parking lot always tossed their banana peel on the ground outside their car. So its not only cyclists that litter banana peels
Old 05-12-20, 08:14 AM
tagaproject6

Who else is going to drop a banana peel in the middle of the road?
I was thinking, Mario Kart racers. They toss banana peels, turtle shells, etc.
Old 05-12-20, 08:15 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Pssshhhhh....I'm in the UK now. I think it's cute how you complain about littering. Come on over here, for ****s sake this country is littered to ****. Disgusting.

Such a weird thing that I never thought I'd experience. Me and David Sedaris man, cleaning this country up one Cornetto wrapper at a time...
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 05-12-20, 08:19 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
This topic reminds me of the "broken windows theory". People don't think litter is a big deal, but it's the symptom of a much larger societal problem.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 05-12-20, 08:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I dont think I have ever seen a CO2 cartridge. What I see is the idiotic plastic water bottles, and the little one shot booze bottles. Calif has banned plastic straws, but allows bottled water. How many straws does it take to make one plastic water bottle? Plastic water bottles should be banned.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-12-20, 08:36 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
It was his inflammatory tone, and his assumption that all of us “snobs” are the reason his wife crashed and his roads are littered.

Seems like folks love to put roadies down on this forum, and hold this sanctimonious attitude like their crap doesn’t stink. These are usually the same people shouting “steal is real!” and going on about how they just love their friction shifters and cantilever brakes.

We all have our preferences and tastes, yet it seems like roadies get trashed for theirs.
He posted SLOB Not snob.
I don't care for Snobs either but where is the correlation with Roadies?
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 05-12-20, 08:45 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
If a murdered body is found and finger prints are lifted from a cyclist discarded air cartridge....I'm gonna have to laugh.
Old 05-12-20, 08:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

That's ridiculous.

Literally none of that is in his post, you're projecting into it for some reason. He used the phrase "cycling slobs" and I think it's a fair assumption that anyone who has been throwing those things around is indeed a) a cyclist and b) a slob. Nowhere does the word "snob" in the post or the title of the thread.

And, BTW, I'm a roadie myself.
Old 05-12-20, 09:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you've never seen a spent CO2 cartridge or a punctured tube lying on the ground, you either a) don't ride where large numbers of cyclists ride, b) live someplace fancy, or c) both a and b.

I do not live someplace fancy, so spent CO2s are commonplace. Get near the start of any trail or MUP, and you're sure to find Clif wrappers, all sorts of Gu stuff, etc.

It's roadies and the roadie mentality. I've never seen a big hybrid or MTB tube on the ground. Exclusively the 700x23/25 variety-- you know, the same guys that use CO2.
Old 05-12-20, 09:06 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
People who like steel are snobs? lol
I've never seen a co2 cartridge but both a and b apply to me, if I do see people it's usually dentists taking their 10k bike for a its monthly ride.
Old 05-12-20, 01:06 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts

All that stuff that upsets you so much--it isn't in his post. Those are ideas you brought to the discussion. You're WAY too ready to 'defend' yourself against attacks that are not actually being made.
Secondarily, as a guy who loves friction shifting, cantilever brakes and steel frames, I'd appreciate it if you took that chip off your shoulder. I guess some retrogrouch was mean to you one time, but your remarks are starting to feel kinda personal.
Old 05-12-20, 01:47 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Kratebiker
If you are unlucky enough to get a flat, stop dumping your empty air cartridges in our bike lanes!!!! I have been seeing quite a bit of this lately in Humboldt. Not only is it littering, but a real safety hazzard for the responsible cyclists. My wife struck one several years ago, and subsequently flew over the handlebars. She has not gotten on a bike since. If you cannot be a responsible cyclist, then stay out of our County.
::waves:: Hi! Finally, someone from my area! Yay!

I hear you about the cartridges; I commute on the safety corridor, and there are more cartridges than banana peels, and that's a lot! In fact, there are so many that I suspect they are mostly leftovers from N2O huffing. No way can there be that many littering cyclists. It's the glass holes that really drive me crazy. And the blown out semi tires. And the eucalyptus debris; so much eucalyptus debris. I've had to stop five or six times to pull sticks, branches, and the occasional limb off the shoulder.

I'm very sorry about your wife; I hope she recovered completely. As someone else said, maybe she could try getting back on the bike. It would be hard at first, but so worth it. I'll bet she'd love the Waterfront Trail.
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-13-20, 12:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If you've never seen a spent CO2 cartridge or a punctured tube lying on the ground, you either a) don't ride where large numbers of cyclists ride, b) live someplace fancy, or c) both a and b.

I do not live someplace fancy, so spent CO2s are commonplace. Get near the start of any trail or MUP, and you're sure to find Clif wrappers, all sorts of Gu stuff, etc.

It's roadies and the roadie mentality. I've never seen a big hybrid or MTB tube on the ground. Exclusively the 700x23/25 variety-- you know, the same guys that use CO2.
This might be a regional thing.

I ride a very large range of roads and paths in New England, and I just don't see that. By far, the most biked area I ride in regularly is the Minuteman, and I just don't think that kind of littering is in the bike culture here.
Old 05-13-20, 06:35 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
This might be a regional thing.

I ride a very large range of roads and paths in New England, and I just don't see that. By far, the most biked area I ride in regularly is the Minuteman, and I just don't think that kind of littering is in the bike culture here.
+1 Been riding well-used MUPS in SE WI for decades..I think I've come across maybe 1 cylinder...and that one was full I think..it's around here somewhere.
Old 05-13-20, 06:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts

I am a roadie. I didn't feel like the OP was calling me out. That shoe didn't fit. I am left to wonder why anyone would get defensive.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-13-20, 07:08 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
The only trash I see that can be identified as dropped by cyclists is banana peels. es.

These are the most dangerous folks. Banana peels are responsible for more slip and fall accidents and more auto Mobile pile ups than anything

its science. I mean, watch a cartoon for heavens sake!
Old 05-13-20, 08:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DMC707
These are the most dangerous folks. Banana peels are responsible for more slip and fall accidents and more auto Mobile pile ups than anything

its science. I mean, watch a cartoon for heavens sake!

The real problem with banana peels is they're hard to avoid--I tend to miss them while watching the skies for falling pianos.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-13-20, 08:29 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The real problem with banana peels is they're hard to avoid--I tend to miss them while watching the skies for falling pianos.
Now see that is regional. Never once seen a falling piano. But anvils? Brother, they're everywhere.
Old 05-13-20, 09:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Now see that is regional. Never once seen a falling piano. But anvils? Brother, they're everywhere.

Around here, the worst situation is when you've dodged the piano and the anvil and then, out of nowhere, here comes the kitchen sink!
Old 05-13-20, 10:26 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Well, it looks like people will continue to be inconsiderate because it's their perogative or their right to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.