Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-15-20, 08:29 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 159 Posts
I'm rethinking my training plan. Any major intensity gives me a lot of fatigue, and with a CTL in the 40's I just don't think I'm ready. I'm going to take the next 12 weeks and just focus on building endurance and increasing CTL. There's a nearby road race in September (well, 50/50 chance it happens), so that would give me 5 weeks for a build and taper. Un/Fortunately USAC lost my race info (how do they do that?), so instead of being a cat 2, I guess I can just get a one-day license and race with the 4's?
Old 05-15-20, 08:40 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Oh yeah it's definitely stress.
I'm a small business owner with two mortgages, family, IE lots of overhead, and this whole covid 19 thing has quadrupled my overall stress levels. Not from a "I'm afraid of the virus" standpoint that the news is constantly pushing, but a "how am I going to pay all of my employees and my own bills" perspective. I've been working hard on getting sleep, and I've gone from 5 hours a night to 8 hours a night by forcing myself to turn out lights, turn off the phone, relax, and get to bed at a decent hour. After a month of working on it, I'm finally back into a routine and I'm feeling much better. The whole stress / lack of sleep cycle is self perpetuating...
Likes For procrit:
Old 05-15-20, 09:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
Man, reading that makes me realize that I have such a different perspective on this - I'm engaged (live with fiancee), no kids yet, still very gainfully employed as a chemist/scientist. In fact - my specific division/department has seen an increase in business lately, due in no small part to the virus. There is a lot of antimicrobial/antiviral and diagnostic application that overlaps with us, a medium-sized nanotechnology company. So really, things are kind of comfortable and I'm fortunate enough to be mildly inconvenienced by the business closures, and of course worried about my health at worst. I'm very lucky to have my health and income intact (knocks on wood).

Doctors, scientists and associated policymakers (for the most part) have the same perspective - focused on the virus. Which is their job, but we're not feeling it the same way that small business owners and people in "non-essential" industries are. So it's easy to say we should stay shut down.

NOTE: I'm NOT trying to start a political discussion here, and let's please refrain from that - the 33 is generally a pretty mature place. Note that I didn't share an opinion on the matter either - just that I can see after reading procrit 's post that it's easy to take a side without considering the opinions of people who are living in very different worlds.

Also - this thread is supposed to be about training, which just meandered off from talk about poor training performance due to stress. Personally, my training has suffered not due to stress, but mainly lack of motivation for no racing! Even our weekly track series is enough to get me pumped to train - the men's "A's" around here has some pretty serious hitters, and when I'm going really good it's fun to attack scratch races with them and piss everyone off
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-15-20, 09:36 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
Went out for some FTP work today without any breakfast or coffee, and it was awful. One interval in and I was mentally done. Wattage was slightly off as well, I just didn't have "it" today. Just one more ride scheduled before I take a rest week.
That was me Tuesday.
Likes For kensuf:
Old 05-15-20, 10:32 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My training schedule has been way off lately, due in large part to work/working from home. I've been much less regimented about getting out of bed and getting my workout in. And I've struggled some with motivation.

Like TMonk, my job is busier than ever - due in large part to COVID-19. My wife, on the other hand, has a lot more free time since her college is essentially closed. She's been riding more than she ever has.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-15-20, 10:52 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by TMonk
Man, reading that makes me realize that I have such a different perspective on this - I'm engaged (live with fiancee), no kids yet, still very gainfully employed as a chemist/scientist. In fact - my specific division/department has seen an increase in business lately, due in no small part to the virus. There is a lot of antimicrobial/antiviral and diagnostic application that overlaps with us, a medium-sized nanotechnology company. So really, things are kind of comfortable and I'm fortunate enough to be mildly inconvenienced by the business closures, and of course worried about my health at worst. I'm very lucky to have my health and income intact (knocks on wood).

Doctors, scientists and associated policymakers (for the most part) have the same perspective - focused on the virus. Which is their job, but we're not feeling it the same way that small business owners and people in "non-essential" industries are. So it's easy to say we should stay shut down.

NOTE: I'm NOT trying to start a political discussion here, and let's please refrain from that - the 33 is generally a pretty mature place. Note that I didn't share an opinion on the matter either - just that I can see after reading procrit 's post that it's easy to take a side without considering the opinions of people who are living in very different worlds.

Also - this thread is supposed to be about training, which just meandered off from talk about poor training performance due to stress. Personally, my training has suffered not due to stress, but mainly lack of motivation for no racing! Even our weekly track series is enough to get me pumped to train - the men's "A's" around here has some pretty serious hitters, and when I'm going really good it's fun to attack scratch races with them and piss everyone off
Well dealing with life and stress can be part of the training process, so maybe it's not so off topic? Either way, glad you are doing well work wise, it's always great to hear positive stories. And yea, not having a race to train for makes it tough!
Likes For procrit:
Old 05-15-20, 10:58 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Not a racer but stress during training is definitely not off topic. Stress can cause many physical problems to go along with the obvious mental/emotional ones.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-15-20, 01:32 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Yesterday was a 2 hour endurance ride along the coast from Del Mar to Carlsbad and back.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-15-20, 03:47 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

I put a plan together for the potential road race. CTL ramp rate of ~4 per week, peak TSB to -25 to -30 at the end of a training block, blocks are 3 weeks on / 1 week off. 12 weeks of base with some group rides, and 3 weeks with intervals and a week taper. TSB ends up around +15 or so for the race. Training Peaks has come a long way in the last decade haha. I'm sure I'll be making adjustments, but at least I have something to shoot for.

Old 05-15-20, 11:38 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Did the same 30 minute climb that shouldn't be 30 minutes. 120 TSS. Wondering if ramping up too fast is causing bloating. Google says "beginners bloat" is a thing. I sure hope it is cuz something's up and it isn't extra scale weight. Definitely gonna go easy next week. But first: Saturday.
Old 05-16-20, 08:44 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
I'm a small business owner with two mortgages, family, IE lots of overhead, and this whole covid 19 thing has quadrupled my overall stress levels. Not from a "I'm afraid of the virus" standpoint that the news is constantly pushing, but a "how am I going to pay all of my employees and my own bills" perspective. I've been working hard on getting sleep, and I've gone from 5 hours a night to 8 hours a night by forcing myself to turn out lights, turn off the phone, relax, and get to bed at a decent hour. After a month of working on it, I'm finally back into a routine and I'm feeling much better. The whole stress / lack of sleep cycle is self perpetuating...
Totally is. I am adjusting my routine not to get in to it, seems to be working.
Likes For UmneyDurak:
Old 05-16-20, 05:45 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'll have 14-15 hours this week (all indoors) depending on how my legs feel tomorrow.

That is on top of a ton of walking. I told my wife that the way the societal trends are going (no masking, social distancing) with our county essentially opening up amidst a daily rise in cases we are going to get it. Ready your body to survive it. She's taking it serious, eating right, walking, etc. but that means I too walk. I'm not trying to judge or be political about it; I see both sides. My neighbors are business owners and are getting zero support from the government.
Old 05-16-20, 10:20 PM
aaronmcd

Did Mt Tam today finally. Just up and back, 4 hours total, 300 TSS. Down to -70 TSB and ready for a rest week with a couple strength sessions.
Old 05-17-20, 06:06 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
14 hours (including a really mellow 2 hour cruiser with one of the kids) and 612 TSS. I think I'll keep going until what would have been my A race in June and instead go after some KOMs. Plan is to then take a mini break and start building back for Sep/Oct when maybe there will be IRL races. I don't think I'll hit 100 CTL by June, but I'd like to get there before the end of the year.

I don't think I'll ever understand exactly what makes me fitter/faster, but the closest I've come is the correlation between CTL and FTP. I want to see at what point -and if- that breaks. I'm no spring chicken, so maybe I've waited too long to push 100/110.
Old 05-17-20, 08:54 AM
big john

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Did Mt Tam today finally. Just up and back, 4 hours total, 300 TSS. Down to -70 TSB and ready for a rest week with a couple strength sessions.
Road ride? Can you ride mountain bikes there in the birthplace of mountain biking?
Old 05-17-20, 11:24 AM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by big john
Road ride? Can you ride mountain bikes there in the birthplace of mountain biking?
I can't but its a good place for it. I just bought a gravel bike to ride some trails but have only taken it out in the city so far, Mt Sutro, Golden Gate Park, Laguna Honda trails. Plan to go up north with it when I've got the fitness, maybe next block. Those longer dirty rides really wiped me out even when I was in (cycling) shape.

Also I slept 11 hours last night and 10 the previous nights.
Old 05-17-20, 12:43 PM
big john

I can't but its a good place for it. I just bought a gravel bike to ride some trails but have only taken it out in the city so far, Mt Sutro, Golden Gate Park, Laguna Honda trails. Plan to go up north with it when I've got the fitness, maybe next block. Those longer dirty rides really wiped me out even when I was in (cycling) shape.

Also I slept 11 hours last night and 10 the previous nights.
I had heard there were trail access issues up there. I think that Repack Road where they used to race on their clunkers would be good for a gravel bike if it's legal.
Old 05-17-20, 02:54 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
9 hours this week all outdoors.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-17-20, 06:36 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Legs felt good today and I did the local hammer ride. 75 miles, 240 TSS. Ready for a rest week!
Likes For procrit:
Old 05-17-20, 08:36 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Did the same 30 minute climb that shouldn't be 30 minutes. 120 TSS. Wondering if ramping up too fast is causing bloating. Google says "beginners bloat" is a thing. I sure hope it is cuz something's up and it isn't extra scale weight. Definitely gonna go easy next week. But first: Saturday.
It's a thing! I find that happens during base especially - I will drop like 1-2kg during the first half of a rest week. More stress -> more cortisol -> water retention.
Old 05-17-20, 10:53 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Big thigh gap furry face dude in the middle is mine. 20 + hour week.

Last edited by Doge; 05-17-20 at 11:10 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 05-18-20, 12:15 AM
aaronmcd

Went out to chill on bikes with friends, tried to keep it at 100ish watts (rpe). Went on a bunch of trails and hit much more that 100 sometimes but overall a pretty chill 28 miles.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 05-18-20, 12:47 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
Did some dispersed camping and MTB riding at Mount Laguna last weekend, capping off a rest week. I hit up 1.75 hrs this morning on the TT bike, spending about 45 min or so of that in aero at SST. Shootin' for ~12-13 hrs this week. I'm thinking I'll go for like 4 hrs on Sat, then next week I will likely go big on Memorial Day! (day off).
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-19-20, 07:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
150 TSS in a day, run plus bike. Did AdZ last night on the 53/39 at 100% difficulty. LOL. I definitely see a bunch of folks on there utilize both their gearing and having their trainer difficulty set really low.

To have like 70rpm I was at 300w a couple times for a few seconds. No way Fred at 1.8w/kg is able to spin seated up that thing without erg mode or no trainer difficulty. That mountain is a beast yo.

I kept it at SS for most of the climb then let the drift take over at the end to hammer home. I couldn't imagine hammering the entire time. This time was like 54min. No group to draft off of either.

I think I can go sub 50min at some point on it. Would need to feel really peppy that day and jack the a/c in the house a bit colder.

But, I'll take 3400ft in under an hour! Lol.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-19-20, 11:23 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
did 3x20 @ 90, 94, 92% this morning. As it has been lately, this is all done after my first cup of coffee so I can be done before 9am. It's going to get tougher in a couple of weeks because my weekday workouts will go to 90-120min vs the current 60-90min duration, so I need to push myself to start earlier

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.