Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

No front brakes Shimano disc brakes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-24-20, 09:11 PM
mbe

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just took delivery of a 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL5 with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes.

On a ride today, I noticed some moaning/squealing from the front brakes. When I was almost home and coming down a steep hill, something didn't feel right. When I pulled into the driveway I noticed that I had almost no front brakes when I applied the front brake lever. Quite disconcerting to say the least.

Is there anything I can check quickly on the stand before I schedule it in for service back at my LBS? This is my first bike with disc brakes so I am not sure where to start.
Old 06-24-20, 09:15 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Contact your dealer. Don't fool around with it. Your front brake has a problem that you should not have to fix yourself. If you had bought a new car and had brake problems, would you attempt to fix it yourself?
Old 06-24-20, 09:41 PM
mbe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Contact your dealer. Don't fool around with it. Your front brake has a problem that you should not have to fix yourself. If you had bought a new car and had brake problems, would you attempt to fix it yourself?
I will be booking it in. I am more curious than anything else to know what would cause such a complete failure within only 100 km of riding.
Old 06-24-20, 10:10 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Could be a number of things. The pads were not seated correctly. Lubricant got on the disc. Air in the hydraulic hose...
Old 06-25-20, 06:02 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
If you have a firm stop at the lever with no sponginess, the hydraulics are probably okay and there's something wrong with the friction surfaces. I agree, don't mess with it.
Old 06-25-20, 08:14 PM
mbe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took the bike into the shop today and they found the front brake pads were glazed.

They replaced the pads and bedded them in. Not sure how they got glazed but must not have gotten bed in properly. Hopefully all is well now.
Old 06-25-20, 08:54 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mbe
Took the bike into the shop today and they found the front brake pads were glazed.

They replaced the pads and bedded them in. Not sure how they got glazed but must not have gotten bed in properly. Hopefully all is well now.
they can still become glazed after bedding in disc brakes dont like long light pressure descents better to brake hard and in shorter bursts to shed speed.
Old 06-25-20, 09:53 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
It takes a lot to glaze pads. I have done 1,000 meter descents to the point where the rotors were glowing and discoloured. The pads just needed a scrub with an abrasive pad and they were good to go.

You must be doing some hairy descents. If possible, I alternate the front and rear brake on long downhills to give the other a chance to cool down a bit.