Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is Everything Out of Stock?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is Everything Out of Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 06:46 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Right, which makes me wonder what's really causing this mini boom (more specifically than the pandemic)? Is it kids and adults with fewer options for things to do? No team sports? No bars/restaurants/movies? Is it a desire to avoid mass transportation (a big factor here in NYC)? More free time with less work or working from home? No place to drive to? I guess it is a mix of all these things, but like you said it's going to be strange when things start returning to normal.
Absolutely, I think it's 100 percent all of those things. The co-op director has basically been going down a list of emailed/texted requests for bikes and delivering them. He said by far the most requested are smaller mountain bikes (for kids/teens) and larger mountain bikes (for adults, they just don't want anything to do with skinny tires or drop bars). The Craigslist/Fbook flippers in my area are having a feeding frenzy, charging wild amounts for low-end and box store bikes and the like, and you get the sense people may actually be paying those prices! I went for a ride with my wife the other day and we parked at the local rail trail, people were hunting for parking spots and up on the grass in spots, it was crazy. And we just parked there and went on a road ride, we didn't dare go onto the trail!
Old 06-17-20, 08:31 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
...the issue with AliExpress and the like is that they are a crap-shoot. You could get something decent, or you could get something awful.
...and on eBay and Amazon too. Case in point, I needed a brake lever that would pull two cables at once. Went through three levers that didn't work, in the following order:
  1. eBay - Turned out to be a crap lever design that equalized lever pull between the two levers. Sunlite.
  2. Live Fast Motors (a motorized bike dealer) - Same lever as #1 sent, which was not what was in the pictures. Sunlite.
  3. eBay again - Different design (the one Live Fast had had advertised), matched photos, but turned out to be for V-brakes when listing claimed sidepull/canti compatibility. Lever casting obviously was designed so it could be manufactured either way, but these were the V variant.
I could have experimented with Amazon too, but I already knew from looking at the photos of the options there that I'd be ordering one of these two levers.

I don't see where AliExpress is any different than these options.

At least at your LBS you can look at something before you buy it, and there is some sort of name behind it.
Unless it is a special ordered part, which is par for the C&V course. Those photos in the J&B catalog are worse than looking at photos online.

-Kurt

Old 06-17-20, 03:56 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by PugRider
Absolutely, I think it's 100 percent all of those things. The co-op director has basically been going down a list of emailed/texted requests for bikes and delivering them. He said by far the most requested are smaller mountain bikes (for kids/teens) and larger mountain bikes (for adults, they just don't want anything to do with skinny tires or drop bars). The Craigslist/Fbook flippers in my area are having a feeding frenzy, charging wild amounts for low-end and box store bikes and the like, and you get the sense people may actually be paying those prices! I went for a ride with my wife the other day and we parked at the local rail trail, people were hunting for parking spots and up on the grass in spots, it was crazy. And we just parked there and went on a road ride, we didn't dare go onto the trail!
Yes, here in the city there are a lot of road style bikes being used as single-speeds, but that's nothing new as they have always been favored by hipsters (that invariably drive the prices up).

When I was visiting my parents in the suburbs, I saw almost exclusively mountain bikes, each sized appropriately for whichever member fo the family was riding it...

Originally Posted by cudak888
...and on eBay and Amazon too. Case in point, I needed a brake lever that would pull two cables at once. Went through three levers that didn't work, in the following order:
  1. eBay - Turned out to be a crap lever design that equalized lever pull between the two levers. Sunlite.
  2. Live Fast Motors (a motorized bike dealer) - Same lever as #1 sent, which was not what was in the pictures. Sunlite.
  3. eBay again - Different design (the one Live Fast had had advertised), matched photos, but turned out to be for V-brakes when listing claimed sidepull/canti compatibility. Lever casting obviously was designed so it could be manufactured either way, but these were the V variant.
I could have experimented with Amazon too, but I already knew from looking at the photos of the options there that I'd be ordering one of these two levers.

I don't see where AliExpress is any different than these options.
Well, to begin with, I don't even consider Amazon anymore for parts, from big brands or otherwise, as the prices aren't really that competitive and the product descriptions/photos are often incorrect. The description issue can also apply to other sites, but I don't find it to be as much of an issue.

But yes, if you are looking for particular parts or items, you often have no choice but to source from the far east. But at least with Ebay you can (in my opinion) be more likely to find a seller that actually has items in stock in country. And I'm also talking about more common items where there is a choice, and where reputable brands and sellers exist, and in those instances making an effort to avoid the likes of AliExpress.
Old 06-17-20, 06:12 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Here, in Thunder Bay, a Canadian city of 120,000, has started to run out of bikes. One of the three shops reports no bikes left, unless a buyer is prepared to spend lots and lots (meaning thousands). Anyway, to that add the grocery shelves are not as full as they used to be...

I am the bullet dodger and do the shopping, once a week. Since returning to Thunder Bay, at the end of April, I notice each week that there is less of this and that and none of some things. Funny thing is, when this pandemic was first recognized as potentially serious, Canadians bought out all the toilet paper. Go figure?-(
Old 07-09-20, 11:43 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
My wife and I fix up old bikes and donate them. I have one now that is ok except for dry, cracked tires. Anybody know where I find cheap 26 x 2.0 tires? 554-559 size. LBS, online and ebay all out.
Old 07-09-20, 12:30 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by bblair
My wife and I fix up old bikes and donate them. I have one now that is ok except for dry, cracked tires. Anybody know where I find cheap 26 x 2.0 tires? 554-559 size. LBS, online and ebay all out.
I may have a pair of solids 26x1.50's here, but they'd probably cost a bit to ship, even folded.

-Kurt

Old 07-09-20, 01:25 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
How cheap?
I found these just now.
Panaracer Urban Tour
Old 07-09-20, 01:50 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I have a stash of vintage parts, including freewheels, as I suppose many of you do. What do you need in particular?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-09-20, 02:13 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Not just bike parts. A friend of mine knows a boat dealer who buys used boats. He can't find seals and O-Rings he needs to refurbish or repair engines. They mostly come from India and China now. Best case is very long shipping dates, and worse case is not available.
Old 07-12-20, 06:42 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
We were able to find lightly used tires at a local coop for $10 each. Not sure their story, but should be plenty good enough for their intended purpose.
Likes For bblair:
Old 07-12-20, 08:43 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts

Needed 20" tires for my kiddo's rambler, something with smooth tread on the middle and some sort of knobbish pattern on the edges so he can have an easier time on the longish road rides for a little guy. It took me 2 hours searching online to find something in stock, that was after an hour calling around local stores. Finally found something that I liked, and made the order. 2 days later got an email saying they were out of stock of that tire, so I called them and the very helpful clerk that was working with me must have looked at four different tires and found out that they were all out of stock. Eventually we found these odysseys which are nice with his help but definitely not my first choice. Still makes the kids bike look a little bit like a rat rod though.
Old 07-13-20, 12:00 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
@aggiegrads is both my company's local "bike czar" as well as a high level volunteer at Portland's Community Cycle Center co-op. He tells me that kid sized tubes (16-24" ) are becoming rare as hens teeth, inexpensive 26" tires are gone, and other odds and end parts that in normal days no one gives a second thought to are drying up as well. His teenage son has been keeping very busy doing local repairs as local shops are quoting 4 week turnaround time.

Don't chuck those old tubes, start patching, folks!
Old 07-13-20, 06:34 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Shimano six and seven speed shifters seem to be out of stock most places, as well as inexpensive (<$30USD) floor pumps. Tubes are hit and miss, although J&B is starting to have new stock trickle back in from China.

Inexpensive bottle cages are hard, but not impossible to find.
Old 07-13-20, 07:09 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by cudak888
I do have one China order that's already stateside - it's an eBay (not AliExpress) order, and it was shipped via BuyLogic. The other two Chinese shipments I alluded to were sent China Post, but their point of hangup has been the USPS Shenzhen EMS facility.

Heck, if the forum is interested, here's the tracking on all three:

AliExpress / China Post order #1 : Universal Parcel Tracking - Global Package Tracking
AliExpress / China Post order #2 : Universal Parcel Tracking - Global Package Tracking
eBay / Buylogic: Universal Parcel Tracking - Global Package Tracking
FYI, all of these arrived, including a fourth order placed later on.

-Kurt