Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Buying a New Frame...where to go?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 10:11 AM
Kokiafan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hi all. This is kind of a cross-post but hoping someone here will be able to help.
I got a cheap China frame and built it up using Dura-ace 6800 components. I no longer have confidence in the frame (8 years old, and I am a big guy) and would like to just move all my components to a new frame.

If you, mechanics reading this thread, needed to buy a frame, what do you do? Where do you go?

I see some ads for older frames (2009 to 2016) sometimes, and they say "never used." Would YOU buy a 5 or 8 or 10 year old "new" frame for a build?

TIA!
Old 07-13-20, 10:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If you are willing to spend the money, you can buy a new frame from most any bike manufacturer. Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Specialized and others all have a price posted for new and NOS stock they have in inventory. Some even tell you if one of their dealers (LBS's) have them in stock.

Definitely more trustworthy than any other used source. But I've bought from eBay, craigslists and others too. Just use a high amount of skepticism and satisfy those thoughts before opening your wallet.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-13-20, 11:57 AM
Kokiafan

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you are willing to spend the money, you can buy a new frame from most any bike manufacturer. Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Specialized and others all have a price posted for new and NOS stock they have in inventory. Some even tell you if one of their dealers (LBS's) have them in stock.

Definitely more trustworthy than any other used source. But I've bought from eBay, craigslists and others too. Just use a high amount of skepticism and satisfy those thoughts before opening your wallet.
Liking some of the 2020 Giant frames, but nobody appears to have any in stock. My local LBS said they would be happy to take all the parts off of a new complete bike and put on my Ultegra. Uh, no.
Old 07-13-20, 01:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Hopefully in late July to mid August a boat load of new bikes and frames will get here.
Old 07-13-20, 02:40 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Kokiafan
Hi all. This is kind of a cross-post but hoping someone here will be able to help.
I got a cheap China frame and built it up using Dura-ace 6800 components. I no longer have confidence in the frame (8 years old, and I am a big guy) and would like to just move all my components to a new frame.

If you, mechanics reading this thread, needed to buy a frame, what do you do? Where do you go?

I see some ads for older frames (2009 to 2016) sometimes, and they say "never used." Would YOU buy a 5 or 8 or 10 year old "new" frame for a build?

TIA!
yes.
dude u just said that ur bike was 8 years old and a knock off.
plenty of Name brand frame deals to be had.
but why Dura Ace for a crap frame?
Old 07-13-20, 02:58 PM
RowdyTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
"Cheap" "Chinese" frame doesn't mean much. You're going to get a lot more for your money if you carefully buy a frame directly from China. That cheap Chinese frame may actually be quite good. The American bike manufacturers are very brand-name and profit-driven, and most importantly have big overhead, so they really mark things up, which is further amplified if you buy through a bike shop. Are you sure your concern about frame integrity is warranted? 8 years and no issues so far?

Last edited by RowdyTI; 07-13-20 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 06:01 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
In 2001 I was unimpressed with frame offerings by the big 4 so I built my own frame and have built 4 more since then. Build your own and get exactly what you want and need. Oh, the cost is way less, too.
Old 07-13-20, 07:00 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I think the first step is to decide what you want. Not just “a” frame but a frame from the short list. I’ve bought bikes and frames off of eBay and they have all worked out. You need to do research on what frames you might really like, even those 7/8 years old. Read reviews, find out what people think, check geometry, compare to what you have now, what is better about the new frame, etc.

What I have now works well for me, but I have always wanted a titanium bike. I have not put in the effort to research the ideal titanium frame for me, which is good for now; as I might get a wild hair to get one.

The most fun in building a bike is finding the right one, not just a generic one.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-13-20, 08:31 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
All-City, Salsa, Rivendell, Waterford are all alternatives to the big brands. I'm sure there are more.
Old 07-13-20, 08:54 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Colnago, DeRosa, Pinarello. Italian names even if manufactured in Taiwan. There are tons of choices. If you can find a NOS frame even better as the price will be cheaper. But decide in advance if you want disc brakes and through axle wheels as that is a different frame. And also you need to know which bottom bracket. And seatpost size. These things have changed some in 8 years.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-13-20, 08:55 PM
Kokiafan

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RowdyTI
"Cheap" "Chinese" frame doesn't mean much. You're going to get a lot more for your money if you carefully buy a frame directly from China. That cheap Chinese frame may actually be quite good. The American bike manufacturers are very brand-name and profit-driven, and most importantly have big overhead, so they really mark things up, which is further amplified if you buy through a bike shop. Are you sure your concern about frame integrity is warranted? 8 years and no issues so far?
I had 1200 for a bike, and I paid 400 for the frame. I guess that was a lot of money in 2012 for a frame, do not really remember. Someone I know had one and suggested I get it so I got it. The company is no longer in business so who knows what the quality was.His frame failed a couple of years ago but I just kept riding mine. Now, I have some kind of strange creaking sound coming out of it that I have not been able to isolate. Maybe it is the frame, maybe not?
If someone can say to me that I should never expect a problem from a 400 dollar frame I bought 8 years ago, I will go with that...
Something like this, maybe: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PINARELLO-M...MAAOSwDHNfBv5h

Last edited by Kokiafan; 07-13-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-13-20, 09:26 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Cool looking bike. Seller has 100% positive feedback over 1500 responses. If that frame fits what you want, what’s not to like?

But you should get reviews on the frame.

John
Old 07-14-20, 07:24 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The American bike manufacturers are very brand-name and profit-driven, and most importantly have big overhead, so they really mark things up, which is further amplified if you buy through a bike shop.
Of course they are "profit-driven". You think the Chinese aren't? Part of the brand name maker's overhead cost is assuring the frames they also source from Asia are built to a reliable quality standard and providing warranty and product liability protection for the consumer. You may indeed get a very high quality frame at low cost directly from the Chinese manufacturer but you have no way of assuring that.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 07-14-20, 07:30 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts

TIA!
I have two Carbon frames I bought "new" last year - both are from 2006 - but, I know both were unused/never built up, and both were genuine. Once came from an ebay seller, the other from Excel Sports in their "Vintage Pinarello" sale. I have no concern about 15 year old carbon (my Litespeed has a 25 year old Kestrel fork on it but since I've owned it since new I know its history) but I would be concerned about abuse/damage from a used frame.

I would take a look at Excel: .https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...ajor=1&minor=1 or Merlin: https://www.merlincycles.com/road-bike-frames-75276/

Last edited by CyclingFool95; 07-14-20 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 07:43 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts

TIA!
Nothing wrong with NOS - New Old Stock. Question whether there's still a warranty to the original owner. If you currently have a rim brake bike with mechanical shifting using exterior cable routing as well as a BSA bottom bracket, with all the components in good shape it can pay to simply replace the frame and move over the components.

One place I see a loot of NOS frames is R&A Cycles in Brooklyn, NY. https://www.racycles.com/bikes/road
Old 07-14-20, 10:06 AM
zacster

Pinarello, nice! I'd go for that myself.
Old 07-14-20, 05:10 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Hopefully in late July to mid August a boat load of new bikes and frames will get here.
And those will satisfy all of the back orders. QBP has said that they will not be able to ship new bike orders for at least 6 months.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 07-16-20 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 06:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
what group do you have..... afaik there is no durace 6800 ultegra 6800 or dura ace 7900?

Old 07-14-20, 07:20 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Someone posted this over at Paceline tonight. Some older bikes that look like they might work if they are the right size.

Parlee frames at Pro's Closet
Old 07-15-20, 04:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
hot itallian whether you have ultegra 6800 or durace 6900 with hollow tech you just get an Shimano italian BB at $25 to 30 and put your parts on

https://www.racycles.com/bikes/road/...-frameset-1212

Old 07-15-20, 07:13 PM
zacster

The guy in the video at R&A sold me my bike 15 years ago. I had to replace the frame after I crashed it hard, but all the components came over, including the wheels which were surprisingly untouched. The original frame was a Kuota Kharma and I replaced it with a Kuota Kredo, and I still ride that bike as my main ride. It was my 50th birthday present to myself so at 65 now I don't really see a need to get anything new and besides it has served me very well over the years. I can still crank it out and beat most people.

As for R&A, they are OK to work with when you are spending a lot of money but can be a little brusque when you go in to buy the little stuff. People here in Brooklyn either love 'em or hate 'em.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-16-20, 01:25 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
That cheap Chinese frame may actually be quite good. The American bike manufacturers are very brand-name and profit-driven, and most importantly have big overhead, so they really mark things up, which is further amplified if you buy through a bike shop.
Don't want to derail this thread and start talking about intellectual property rights and whatnot, but...

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
In 2001 I was unimpressed with frame offerings by the big 4 so I built my own frame and have built 4 more since then. Build your own and get exactly what you want and need. Oh, the cost is way less, too.
As if the "big 4" are the only ones making decent bikes? Tons of alternatives out there, in every type of material...

Originally Posted by zacster
Colnago, DeRosa, Pinarello. Italian names even if manufactured in Taiwan. There are tons of choices. If you can find a NOS frame even better as the price will be cheaper.
Don't forget the Italians that are still building bikes in Italy!

Originally Posted by zacster
As for R&A, they are OK to work with when you are spending a lot of money but can be a little brusque when you go in to buy the little stuff. People here in Brooklyn either love 'em or hate 'em.
That 8.675% sales tax though!

I've actually checked out their site a few times and considered stopping by, but I definitely got the "vibe" that they were going to be a bit snobby. I know they have overhead and whatnot, but their prices definitely seemed to be in the 'people from NYC have tons of money and don't really know what they are buying' range. Still, might be kinda fun though if I go on my Basso that I didn't buy from them...
Old 07-16-20, 02:41 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by robertorolfo

I've actually checked out their site a few times and considered stopping by, but I definitely got the "vibe" that they were going to be a bit snobby. I know they have overhead and whatnot, but their prices definitely seemed to be in the 'people from NYC have tons of money and don't really know what they are buying' range. Still, might be kinda fun though if I go on my Basso that I didn't buy from them...
You should definitely go in. The store if full of eye candy and they don't mind if you are just looking. Just don't try to talk bike to them unless they come to you first. I brought in my Davidson that I had built in Seattle and also my Zilioli from Italy and they would gawk at them, both steel classics. You just don't see them in NYC and they see everything.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-16-20, 09:24 PM
steeljunkie

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, Black Mountain Cycles Road, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've had great luck with the Black Mountain Cycles frames from Mike Varley in Pt Reyes Station, California. I, too, am big enough to break stuff on my bikes, so I like the durability of high quality steel bikes. Definitely worth checking out.
https://blackmtncycles.com/