Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy out of spec, making it work

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campy out of spec, making it work

Old 07-30-20, 02:53 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
And if anybody ever needs it, I have the bearing extractor and the cup tool and a long 8mm 3/8" drive allen bit.

...and unlikely to ever be used again unless someone on BF ever needs it and would pay shipping back and forth. I even thought of donating it to the local bike coop, but coop users aren't usually riding high-end Campy and it would just be lost. I guess at some point in the future all of the UT cranks will develop a click or get rough.

For that matter, look at how few of us are responding! We are of the few Campy users here,
Hey, I haven't forgotten and may take you up on the offer some day, although most of my Ultra Torque stuff is pretty new and I have a few bikes to spread my miles around on...

So maybe I should just buy it from you? Maybe shoot me a PM...
Old 07-30-20, 04:27 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
On a carrier and more holes drilled vs almost solid and individual rings.

I think it's centaur vs veloce too, I'll weigh them when I get a chance.
Veloce has all loose cogs. 2009 and newer are galvanized which is shinier and more yellow. Older are nickel-chrome.

Centaur has the last pair on carriers except all loose cogs were used for all years' 14-23 and all combinations in 2009-2010. The cogs have a nickel-chrome finish.

Chorus cassettes have the last 2 (11-21, 11-23, 11-25, and 12-23) or 3 (all others) pairs of cogs on aluminum carriers. The cogs have a nickel-chrome finish.

Record has the four large cogs made out of titanium. Some combinations were available in all titanium. Construction is otherwise the same as Chorus.

Starbike 12-25 weights are Veloce 270g, Centaur 254g, Chorus 226g, Record 197g, and Record all cogs titanium 156g
Old 07-30-20, 09:10 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Starbike 12-25 weights are Veloce 270g, Centaur 254g, Chorus 226g, Record 197g, and Record all cogs titanium 156g
I weighed the 13-29 Veloce since it's just on a shelf. 350g including the zip tie holding it together.

The Centaur is on the wheel currently, but it feels substantially lighter. I'll weigh it soon and report back, though not tonight.
Old 08-02-20, 05:33 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Update to the haters (and lovers I guess).

For the crank, I found a 0.7mm spacer. I put it on the drive side and torqued the crank to 60nm (per Campy) and it didn't cause any drag on the bearings. That means it installed fine.

Now it still rubs on the small small cross chain but it doesn't try to shift up. I consider this a big improvement.

For the other, it's actually a bit better as it is. Maybe a slight chainline correction helped. It's ready to ride.

So if anyone else is thinking about 50-34 on a 12-30 10 speed with a Campy short cage, just use a 68.7 mm bb width.