Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Time To Build Another Vintage Road Bicycle...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Time To Build Another Vintage Road Bicycle...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-20, 05:19 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by gloughto
Hi Randy, new member here - loving your threads on restorations and bike history.

I notice that MYTENSPEEDS is down this AM - hopefully not a permanent state of affairs?!

Thanks!

-Geoff
try using Wayback to access the site
https://web.archive.org/web/20191117...TE_Welcome.htm
Old 06-20-20, 07:08 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked 4,388 Times in 2,092 Posts
Randy, if you ever get the desire to straighten the front-end crash damage, a solid rod (propeller shafts are really good for this) shoved in an immovable hole in the ground (such as a cut-off fence post in concrete) make for a very adequate substitute for the Park head tube straightener. Install a junk headset, and pull up on the chainstays until the frame angles are correct again.

I don't think the wrinkling will ever come out of it, but it'll get the geometry back to original spec.

-Kurt

Old 06-20-20, 09:44 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Block
try using Wayback to access the site
https://web.archive.org/web/20191117...TE_Welcome.htm
I just used that because I was hoping to be able to see the 198? Miele Beta in the Miele catalogue. Unfortunately the Miele Beta page is not archived.

Cheers
Old 06-21-20, 04:59 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Unfortunately the Miele Beta page is not archived.
Look in the catalogs page for a Miele catalog. Pretty sure the Beta is included there, with a pic or two and component description.
Old 06-21-20, 08:04 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Look in the catalogs page for a Miele catalog. Pretty sure the Beta is included there, with a pic or two and component description.
I did but the page can't be enlarged to see the details of the specifications. I got the "Page not archived" message when I clicked on the Beta thumbnail on the Wayback Machine.

Cheers.
Old 07-19-20, 05:02 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

I got pulled away from the Torpado project, due to an assortment of chores that had to be done around the cottage. I did, however, finally get around to truing up the frame. I took the frame/fork into the city, to a local bike shop, and used their tools to align a bent derailleur hanger and then square up the drops. I had already strung the frame before going to the city. The repaired frame/fork was ready for a build, however; something kinda happened that put the Torpado project on hold again. Why put the project on the shelf..?

Because I lucked out and, thinking that I was buying a 52cm Marinoni (to flip), only to discover when I got it home that it was/is actually a 55cm frame. Perfect, just my size and that, of course, creates that age old N+1 dilemma. A dilemma that led to complete inspection, and tuning and some cleaning and, there goes another day. But this is why I interrupted my Torpado project...

The Marinoni, as found a few days ago...

The Marinoni on its first test ride yesterday...

I did, however, manage to get back to the Torpado today. Hopefully tomorrow will see the noisy chain issue a quiet thing of the past.
Old 07-19-20, 07:53 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
That’s a pretty little head turner! Great colour scheme. How did it ride for you?
Old 07-20-20, 07:07 PM
randyjawa 

That’s a pretty little head turner! Great colour scheme. How did it ride for you?
The bike was listed on Kijiji and I moved fast, not really wanting the bike since it was listed as a 52cm, too small for me. But it seemed a good idea for the Campy nine speed group. Anyway, when I got it home, the wheel set blew my kilt up...

and I was shocked to discover that the bike was not a 52. Nope, 55cm just my size! Now I do not want another bike but this one is pretty darn pretty. So, I gave it a thorough inspection and tuning, and away I went.

The first test ride demanded some fitting attention, but a short while later, the bike proved to be stiff, fast and sported a transmission that my old legs can handle. The bike is fast, nimble and rock solid when I release my grip on the bar. All in all, I would hate to pass this one on. It is a really good ride. Here it is set up for me and cannot wait until tomorrow and the next ride...

Anyway, enough of the project interrupter. I did get at the Torpado, early this morning, before the real work began. I assembled the drive and transmission. The noisy drive is still an issue. I will now change out the bottom bracket, just in case that is an issue. Perhaps a shorter chain. Gettin close to stumped but close to stumped is always interesting.
Old 07-30-20, 03:08 PM
randyjawa 

I ran into a mechanical problem with the Torpado. I switched to a 14-24 freewheel. When I took the bike out for a test ride with the new freewheel, the chain noise was all but deafening. Horrible. I was all but certain that the noise was crank/chain related and spent several rebuild try this and that sessions. At the end of the day, I ended up going with a Shimano SIS rear derailleur. Problem solved...

The SIS has plenty of capacity for the 14-26 six speed freewheel, sent to me by another forum member. Perfect - my old legs can handle this one..!

But, for now, the Torpado will sit, waiting to be worked on after completing a project started some time ago. My Rabeneick 120d. The bike is ready for art and final clear coats of lacquer. I could not paint it earlier due to cold weather and then bugs. Once the cold weather leaves, in the Spring, the mosquitoes and then black flies swarm for a few weeks. But all is good now. All I need it a windless day, a warm day and a dry day. A couple of hours should do it.
Old 07-31-20, 07:59 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
On the brake reach thing, I wonder if it's just a replacement fork thing? I encountered that on the battered Mercier 100 (I think) that I lovingly call Straightened Raymond. You guessed it, front end crash damage (pulled back into proper geometry with a plumbing pipe through the head tube, lashed to a utility pole). This bike has a little room to lower the pads on the rear Weinmann 610, but zero space left for the matching front to be lowered. Just a thought,
Old 08-01-20, 01:12 AM
randyjawa 

On the brake reach thing, I wonder if it's just a replacement fork thing?
I did switch the brake calipers around and the fit improved but there is not way that the caliper, with the short reach, would ever work with 700c wheels. If both calipers were long reach, then no problem with 700s. I like the thought that the fork might be contributing to the improper fit of the calipers. Anyway, I hope to look through a friends vintage road bicycle parts stash. And, I am on the hunt for a proper fork.

As mentioned, the Torpado goes into storage limbo, waiting for its turn to get quality attention. I really really want to get at the Rabeneick and the time, now, is right. With luck, decals and clear lacquer top coat will be done before the civic holiday (first Monday in August is always a holiday in Canada).
Old 08-19-20, 09:17 AM
randyjawa 

Though i have tons to do and two really nice bikes to ride, I just can't seem to stay away from the Torpado. The noisy chain thing is a thing of the past but another thing has been bugging me, so I got de-bugged this morning.

The Torpado, "as found" was fitted with an after market fork and one designed for a 27" wheel. The bike always seemed to be tilted up in the front...

Here, fitted with the 700c fork, things look a bit better to me. I also installed a new set of 27 x 1 1/4 tires on the bike (got the pump at the dump a few days ago)...

And, it makes sense now, discovering the the "as found" fork was/is 16mm longer than the 700c one. It took a bit of doing, but the deal is done. The fork, itself is pooey-stinko but works for now...

Though the 700c fork (the upper one in the preceding picture) sports one major flaw (the eyelets have been sloppily removed) but, other than that, all I needed to do was shorten the steering stem an inch, or so (the sloppy work will be cleaned up and any fracture points eliminated)...

I made sure that the end was square (the "as found" fork had experienced stretching at the top of the steering tube and the bottom cone was cracked). No problem, I just happened to have a spare this and that to fix that and this...

Still a bit more to do, fitting and lining up the brake shoes (looks like I will be switching the calipers back to where they were "as found". That, and a final check of work done, and another "test ride". I hope this brings me one step closer to what I expect when I finish the build. I know that there are many non-original items fitted to the Torpado, but that is not an issue with me. It only means that the hunt continues and the hunt is as much fun (almost) as the find. Anyway, cannot wait to take it out for a 700c spin...
Old 08-28-20, 06:15 AM
randyjawa 

Finally, a 700c fork and, thanks to payday yesterday, I managed to finally get a set of tires for my Torpado. I did not get exactly what I wanted (700c x 28) and settled for something a bit smaller. Bar tape and align the brake pads is all that is left to do, for this preliminary stage of my build. I can hardly wait to give the bike a try now...

This is part of my front yard and the wall that I built all by myself. Sadly, it does not keep pests out - mice, squirrels, skunks, deer, shrews, porcupines, bears, people and the next door neighbor's dog, Celli (who I happen to like a lot). Sadly, or not depending on one's point of view, Celli has decided that going poo in my yard is the way to go. Ya, right - way to go Celli...