Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Toe clips and slotted cleats, defying logic

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-02-20, 03:20 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts

If anyone didn't see the other thread, the local cobbler fixed my shoes. Now I want to ride them.

I've got some most excellent Dura Ace 7400 toe clip pedals. I've got them mated with a pair of Nike TC shoes from the same years. They came with two pairs of Nike brand slotted cleats.

I'd like to ride the whole kit together, since that's what the original owner did, or planned to do, or thought about doing. The shoes are almost brand new, so maybe they didn't work in '86 either.

Trouble is, the only way I can get into the groove of the cleat is with two hands helping. The only way I can get out is by removing the shoe. This is with the strap let out as far as it goes.

I realize this pedal and cleat system will never be as safe or easy as clipless. I can accept that. Right now, it's not even functional.
​​​​​
Sean Kelly didn't mind. There clearly must be a way to get it to work.

-I could get longer straps if they're available.
-I could grind down the cleat to create a better ramp to get in. The cleats are semi hollow though, so I might go through before getting it right. And I'd still be stuck in.
-I could totally remove the cleat and bolt some type of minimal interference creation to the bottom.

OR

These old shoes are threaded for slotted or 3 hole.

-I could install a brand new pair of cleats and put one of 3 pairs of pedals (including green titanium Speedplay) on that would fit.

-I could find a pair of era appropriate Delta's on eBay for like $25, and I have a pair of new red cleats in the garage.

Pics if you need them, but I think it's pretty self-explanatory.

What am I missing?
​​​​​​

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 08-02-20, 03:33 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
Pics would indeed help, since your description doesn't clarify why the cleat slots are reluctant to fit over the pedal plates. Offhand, I can picture the toe clips being too short or too low to allow the shoe to reach the end of the toe clip, keeping the cleat slot from reaching the pedal plate.

Either that, or the slot is too narrow for the pedal plate, but that seems unlikely, since every Dura Ace toe clip pedal I can remember seeing had a steel plate and thus would not be particularly thick.
Old 08-02-20, 03:42 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Pics would indeed help, since your description doesn't clarify why the cleat slots are reluctant to fit over the pedal plates. Offhand, I can picture the toe clips being too short or too low to allow the shoe to reach the end of the toe clip, keeping the cleat slot from reaching the pedal plate.

Either that, or the slot is too narrow for the pedal plate, but that seems unlikely, since every Dura Ace toe clip pedal I can remember seeing had a steel plate and thus would not be particularly thick.

+1 can't picture how this is happening at both ends as it were.

Sorry to ask, but you are talking about road shoes, right... 'cause if not, there's your answer.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 08-02-20 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 03:49 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Sure thing

Example of one of the brand new Nike cleats

Profile of height relative to sole

The bottom, the strap is actually connected via one of the Look threads under the cleat. The strap is removable but I don't think it's the problem.

Once locked in, it's not going anywhere.
Old 08-02-20, 03:50 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
What happens if you unbuckle the toe strap and disengage it fully from the toe clip? Is there still interference between cleat and pedal with the strap out of the picture?

Edit: Just saw your pix. The strap over the forefoot of the shoe is bulking up the top of the shoe and fouling with its passage under the clip and toe strap. Then, once forced in it’s trapped there. You need a smooth lace-up upper.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 08-02-20 at 03:58 PM. Reason: The Y
Old 08-02-20, 03:55 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
What happens if you unbuckle the toe strap and disengage it fully from the toe clip? Is there still interference between cleat and pedal with the strap out of the picture?
It's difficult to remove since it attaches under the cleat. However, it really doesn't seem to be in the way. It hangs up a little but I can't budge with this setup.
Old 08-02-20, 04:01 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

See my edited post above.
Old 08-02-20, 04:02 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
For starters, you're not supposed to insert the loose end of the strap through the buckle.* Leave it flapping loose, that way they are easy to pull tight, and if you want to loosen them, just yank a little on the loose end of the buckle. Cleats are not practical if you don't set it up this way.

Secondly, that's an extreme ankles-in angle. Generally you'd try to set them up for your feet to be as straight and non duck foot as possible. If your heel is hitting the crank, it's not going to work. If this is just how your feet are, you're not a strong candidate for slot cleats. Get some modern floaty things or platforms or something.

If the issue is simply that the slot is too tight for the pedal, just sand it wider with a sanding stick or something. It should slip easily over the pedal cage. The plastic cleats could get squashed from walking around.

Also, that buckle is way to low. It should be about midway between the edge of the shoe and the top of the toe clip, IOW, move it up a couple inches.

A properly set up cleated shoe and toe clip/strap pedal system should function just as safely as a clipless. If you crash, even with tight straps, your foot is supposed to come out. You do have to learn to remember to reach down and loosen straps at stop signs, etc. We'd mostly just leave them loose in town BITD.

*(Before someone busts me, I realize some people tuck them in, and leave them mostly loose all the time. I'm simply talking about how 99% of the people who used slotted cleats would have done it)

Last edited by Salamandrine; 08-02-20 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 04:11 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Just generally speaking, those transitional period shoes with both slot cleats and velcro straps aren't ideal for toe clips. The straps are really going to get in the way and make getting in and out difficult. It would drive me nuts. I'd repurpose them for clipless, and get some traditional shoes with laces or shoes with some sort of flap to cover up that mess instead.

The shoes are almost brand new, so maybe they didn't work in '86 either.
That's what I'm thinkin...
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 08-02-20, 04:13 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Salamander,

I'll try the buckle trick, that should give me 3/4" extra length.

It's actually a fairly ankles out position. Having nothing to do with my anatomy, the shoe rubs the cranks if it's more than a few degrees in from that.

I'm happy to remove the forefoot strap since it's optional. Like I said though, I don't think it's hanging up.
Old 08-02-20, 04:14 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 279 Posts
IIRC, 7400 pedals used a proprietary Shimano cleat.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 08-02-20, 04:19 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Originally Posted by rosefarts
It's difficult to remove since it attaches under the cleat. However, it really doesn't seem to be in the way. It hangs up a little but I can't budge with this setup.
By “toe strap” I meant the narrow leather strap that’s threaded thru the pedal and toe clip, not the wide strap that is part of your shoe. In any event i think the two straps are interfering with each other. Maybe this is why the shoes didn’t work back in 1986 as you suspected.
Old 08-02-20, 04:20 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by top506

I've seen a slotted cleat that not only slots into the back plate but has a triangular interface for the more forward area. Extremely cool, impossible to get.
Old 08-02-20, 04:30 PM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by top506
Yeah, I remember those weird cleats. I think there was an ultegra version too at some point. Or maybe they used the same one. (??)

A standard cleat should work too, but it's possible some filing or grinding will be needed if it's hanging up on the pedal body somewhere.
Old 08-02-20, 04:38 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

7401 Clipless pedals are abundant on eBay.

I could buy 5 pairs for what I could get for my pedals + bearing wrench.
Old 08-02-20, 04:51 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That's what I'm thinkin...
I bet you're right. Cycling is full of half ideas.

Look at the suspension of the early 90s, or bar ends, or softride, or really just about anything i used to really really want.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 08-02-20, 05:38 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I find that the PD-64 (aka PD64) cleats work best with the Dura Ace 7400 pedals or the Shimano N600 pedals. Those cleats are still available online from various sources and for various prices.

Cheers
Old 08-02-20, 06:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Just take a bloom'n file to the cleat slot. Note, when one walks on cleats for any amount of distance, they will close up.
The Shimano pedal does not have a large amount of depth to the pedal body from the back plate, observe the cleat /shoe assembly in the pedal, you might have to grind back part of the cleat to get it to clear the pedal body.
When these were popular due to the added cornering clearance for for a brief moment before Look wiped them to redundancy, this is what we did at the shop every week.
Old 08-02-20, 06:34 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I'm still weighing my options.

I'm currently thinking about a vintage pair or Looks or some Shimano 7401 for most riding. Since clipless is so easy and it's what I know.

Also considering Keo cleats on the old shoes since I have a pair of black and white pedals that actually look the part pretty well. That would give me cross compatibility with my newer bike shoes too.

At least a few times though, I want to ride those toe clip pedals fully slotted in. I guess I'm trying to figure out how to do that, with what I have, without killing myself.
Old 08-02-20, 06:50 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Try pulling up on the front of your clips to pop out of the slot. Leverage.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 08-02-20 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 07:25 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Just take a bloom'n file to the cleat slot. Note, when one walks on cleats for any amount of distance, they will close up.
The Shimano pedal does not have a large amount of depth to the pedal body from the back plate, observe the cleat /shoe assembly in the pedal, you might have to grind back part of the cleat to get it to clear the pedal body.
When these were popular due to the added cornering clearance for for a brief moment before Look wiped them to redundancy, this is what we did at the shop every week.
I'm still running a few pairs of shoes with plastic slotted cleats. While I don't use a file, I do periodically open up the slots with a dremel tool. The plastic does deform a bit when you walk on the cleats (which you should minimize, of course).

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-02-20, 07:34 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I've seen a slotted cleat that not only slots into the back plate but has a triangular interface for the more forward area. Extremely cool, impossible to get.
Definitely a novel feature, but not important unless you are a sprinter or track person. It just fit into some features on the front of the pedal, apparently to keep the front of the foot from lifting up??

If you are looking for something "cool", have you considered the double straps used by track folks? When you have legs like tree trunks, you need an extra strap to avoid ripping your feet out of the pedals.
https://www.tracksupermarket.com/ped...traps-njs.html

Steve in Peoria
(with legs like saplings)
Old 08-02-20, 07:35 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Get cleat covers.
Old 08-02-20, 07:47 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I rode those pedals for years. Your problem is the shoes. You need shoes that lace only. The straps are your problem.
Old 08-02-20, 07:53 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
Properly installed straps make a huge difference.. Get the buckles up high, don't double tuck the strap ends like a pants belt, let the end hang out there.. To release, reach down and one push of the sprung buckle should release tension.
I don't/can't use them so it's moot for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.