Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trip Report - Maine Bold Coast Scenic Bikeway

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trip Report - Maine Bold Coast Scenic Bikeway

Old 08-15-20, 01:40 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
someone takes over a pre-planned trip and changes it on the fly to take a longer more ambitious route and then later comments "Gee if I knew you were suffering that much I'd have left you in base camp".
This is why I often travel alone, be it summit bagging, bike touring, whatever, well except WW paddling and climbing. I ain't stupid

@staehpj1
When did you move to FLa********** Do you like the flat water clear springs, super beautiful.
Likes For balto charlie:
Old 08-15-20, 02:18 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
This is why I often travel alone, be it summit bagging, bike touring, whatever, well except WW paddling and climbing. I ain't stupid

@staehpj1
When did you move to FLa********** Do you like the flat water clear springs, super beautiful.
Yeah, I often have done outdoor stuff alone and greatly enjoyed it even some whitewater and other stuff where I probably should know better.

We moved to Tallahassee 5-1/2 years ago. I haven't done any paddling here. I don't have a kayak, canoe, or any type of boat here. I keep thinking that is a mistake since I have always enjoyed all types of flat water, white water, and tidal water including sailing. The only springs I have visited were on foot.
Old 08-16-20, 09:19 AM
balto charlie

Yeah, I often have done outdoor stuff alone and greatly enjoyed it even some whitewater and other stuff where I probably should know better.

We moved to Tallahassee 5-1/2 years ago. I haven't done any paddling here. I don't have a kayak, canoe, or any type of boat here. I keep thinking that is a mistake since I have always enjoyed all types of flat water, white water, and tidal water including sailing. The only springs I have visited were on foot.
I guess I haven't been on here much in recent years. I left CGOAB site, Covid and a sprained back have me coming here frequently these days. I am getting into gravel touring, short semi local trips to Va, W. VA, Pa.

Do your self a favor and get a nice lightweight kevlar boat. Buy these 2 books and run shuttles with your bike. You wont regret it.

O.P. so sorry, back to Maine and their delicious lobsters.

https://smile.amazon.com/Canoeing-Ka...-no-redirect=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Floridas-Fa...MM354YCGTVNGTA
Old 08-16-20, 02:14 PM
staehpj1

I guess I haven't been on here much in recent years. I left CGOAB site, Covid and a sprained back have me coming here frequently these days. I am getting into gravel touring, short semi local trips to Va, W. VA, Pa.

Do your self a favor and get a nice lightweight kevlar boat. Buy these 2 books and run shuttles with your bike. You wont regret it.

O.P. so sorry, back to Maine and their delicious lobsters.

https://smile.amazon.com/Canoeing-Ka...-no-redirect=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Floridas-Fa...MM354YCGTVNGTA
Thanks. I almost went that route a couple years ago and got distracted with other things. I think maybe I'll give it a go now. In these covid times it seems like an activity where I can get out alone and enjoy the outdoors while seeing some of the local area that I haven' explored.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-16-20, 03:41 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Doing the Northern Forest Canoe Trail is on my list of to-do's one day.
Old 08-16-20, 04:15 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I wasn't aware of that one. Looks interesting.
Old 08-16-20, 05:50 PM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
That is a serious trip, lots of portages. There was a local guy in Maryland that did the old Voyagers route recently. I'll try and find his trip report.I like paddling and portaging in the Daks. St Regis area , it is very special. Spent a week+ last year on a solo trip there. Love to hear about your Northern Forest trip when it happens

I love multiple adventure sports, keeps the blood flowing.
Old 08-17-20, 05:22 AM
staehpj1

That is a serious trip, lots of portages. There was a local guy in Maryland that did the old Voyagers route recently. I'll try and find his trip report.I like paddling and portaging in the Daks. St Regis area , it is very special. Spent a week+ last year on a solo trip there. Love to hear about your Northern Forest trip when it happens

I love multiple adventure sports, keeps the blood flowing.
Quite a few decades ago I did a little canoe camping in the St Regis area with a few portages. In those days I was carrying a heavy royalex tandem canoe and all my gear. At my current age I can't imagine subjecting myself to that, but I have since learned to pack much lighter and can afford a kevlar boat if I really want one so I am starting to think some of those routes may still be doable at age 69 and quite a few years to come if I am lucky.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-18-20, 03:46 PM
staehpj1

Thanks to the inspiration of this thread I have a lead on a nice 17' Wenonah Escapade that I plan to pick up Thursday (a 5 hour drive away) if all goes well. I have a nice water trail near by that is about an 8 mile loop with options for more or less mileage. There is good scenery, gators, and lots of interesting birds. I can easily get there by bike and am considering working out a way to tow the Escapade behind my bike. I might even get my wife out in the Escapade in tandem mode. We used to paddle OC-2 together years ago, but mostly only whitewater.

As balto charlie mentioned there are also lots of other cool destinations in Florida as I set out to a wider range and a bike shuttle will probably factor in that.

If the Covid situation ever settles down I will hit some of the more distant bucket list canoe trips.

Last edited by staehpj1; 08-18-20 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-19-20, 06:48 PM
balto charlie

Thanks to the inspiration of this thread I have a lead on a nice 17' Wenonah Escapade that I plan to pick up Thursday (a 5 hour drive away) if all goes well. I have a nice water trail near by that is about an 8 mile loop with options for more or less mileage. There is good scenery, gators, and lots of interesting birds. I can easily get there by bike and am considering working out a way to tow the Escapade behind my bike. I might even get my wife out in the Escapade in tandem mode. We used to paddle OC-2 together years ago, but mostly only whitewater.

As balto charlie mentioned there are also lots of other cool destinations in Florida as I set out to a wider range and a bike shuttle will probably factor in that.

If the Covid situation ever settles down I will hit some of the more distant bucket list canoe trips.
Awesome, you WILL enjoy the paddle trips and the lightweight boat. I use to paddle an Old Towne Tripper with my family (5) and was able to put it on top of our vans (including an old VW Syncro) by myself, I doubt I could put it on top of VW Beetle these days. Kevlar rocks, have fun. Hauling it on your bike will be a good read.

Back to the Maine bike ride, Sorry
Old 08-21-20, 09:04 AM
staehpj1

I did the 300 mile round trip drive to pick up the Wenonah Escapade yesterday and got out on the local lake this morning for a test paddle. It is a really sweet boat and in pretty much new condition for all practical purposes. Sadly, after driving the round trip to the closest lake I am less interested in pulling the boat there by bike at least by road. Maybe I'll still look into going by trail, but it would mean some rough terrain and a hard railroad crossing over high ballast.

Piney Z lake this morning
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-21-20, 04:07 PM
staehpj1

Btw, even if I don't use the bike to get to the local lake there are lots of destinations here where a bike shuttle makes sense. I have a nashbar trailer that might be a good source for parts. I may start another thread for that.
Old 08-22-20, 07:44 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Thanks PW and Mrs PW for the photos and the trip report, fun to read this morning.
I will however, always keep the image in my mind of those two puffy little dogs yelling at you to Get off the @$#!$&^$^#ing Road!!
Likes For djb:
Old 08-23-20, 10:23 AM
WVDave

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tandem model and drive-train question

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this report on your tour. My wife and I had tentative plans to do the exact same route after Labor Day this year. We planned to stay in motels but now after reading your post I think we're going to postpone the tour until after Covid issues subside. Even then, it sounds like we would be wise to bring camping equipment along. We ride a Co-Motion Speedster tandem with a Rohloff hub and a belt timing and drive train. I don't see lettering which identifies your tandem but thought it must have a Rohloff hub.
Dave Fritsch
Old 08-26-20, 12:08 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Yes we also have a Rohloff hub. We have chain instead of a belt. At times I wish we had a belt drive

Originally Posted by WVDave
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this report on your tour. My wife and I had tentative plans to do the exact same route after Labor Day this year. We planned to stay in motels but now after reading your post I think we're going to postpone the tour until after Covid issues subside. Even then, it sounds like we would be wise to bring camping equipment along. We ride a Co-Motion Speedster tandem with a Rohloff hub and a belt timing and drive train. I don't see lettering which identifies your tandem but thought it must have a Rohloff hub.
Dave Fritsch