Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How much would a bike shop charge me?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 12:39 AM
neotheone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I broke a spoke on my bike, How much would it cost to repair it and true it?
Also, I was looking into getting a pair of Commuter tires, at this point, might as well get new tubes.
How much do you think my local bike shop should charge to Repair it for me?

Thanks.
Neo
Old 04-05-11, 12:48 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends. $20 if it just needs to be replaced and requires a little truing. If the wheel needs to be retensioned, then more like $30 or more.
Old 04-05-11, 01:00 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It'd be cheaper if you could go to a local bike co-op, you will be able to use the tools to fix it and true the wheel if needed. I think it's a better investment than bike shop but f you don't have the time...oh well.
Old 04-05-11, 01:28 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Depends on what is needed... a single broken spoke in an otherwise sound wheel can be swapped out and the truing done in a few minutes and at my little one man shop I might do this for $15.00 while I know that some shops have charged as much a full hour of shop time to change a single spoke which can run you $70.00.

One broken spoke is often an indication that there are other things wrong with the wheel... if you break more spokes then it is time to consider rebuilding or replacing the wheel as it is a sign that the spokes were run in an un-tensioned state and have become fatigued.

A well built wheel should not suffer from broken spokes under normal use... I just re-built the rear wheel on one of my bikes as my derailleur exploded some time back and struck the spokes which was enough to cause them to fail a few thousand km down the road and after several broken spokes I opted for a full rebuild.

This is the only wheel failure I have ever had short of bikes or wheels being run over by cars... this has happened to a few of my customers and is one of the things I do not warranty... especially when you run over your own wheels after you left one against the back of the car when you loaded it on the roof rack.

It was a brand new wheel too...
Old 04-05-11, 12:00 PM
gholt

Bikes: 2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I did this it was $30 for a rear wheel that was the 2nd spoke to break and I had them get me two spares for later, as well as check the tension on the whole wheel. I had forgot my tools and we were on vacat and they did it in two hours. It was a bit pricy, but when you need your bike worked on you pay and enjoy riding it later.
Old 04-05-11, 12:16 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I don't think I've been charged more than $20 or so.
Old 04-05-11, 01:17 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee whiz! Come to Alabama! Picking up my front wheel today from LBS. Spoke replaced and wheel trued: $12. They don't charge me tax either.
Old 04-05-11, 01:29 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neotheone
I think I broke a spoke on my bike, How much would it cost to repair it and true it?
Also, I was looking into getting a pair of Commuter tires, at this point, might as well get new tubes.

Thanks.
Neo
The truing should cost somewhere around 15-20.00. Unless your spoke nipples are seized. Then an lbs usually wont touch it. They'll try to talk you into getting a new wheel. Don't have to get new tubes unless you really need them. Everything should be around 50-60.00+tax w/tubes, tires, spoke(s)and truing.

The reason I put up an ad for someone to teach me to build and true wheels was because of costs like the one(s) you've posted. Best 100.00 I ever spent. Have 3 bikes all w/my own hand-built wheelsets. It really was a benchmark in my overall confidence as a cyclist and mechanic. Developing my mechanical skills has saved me hundreds of dollars over the last five years.
Old 04-05-11, 01:38 PM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time my LBS charged $18 in conjunction with a normal "free" tune up of the bike within the first year after I bought it from them.
Old 04-05-11, 01:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
One broken spoke is often an indication that there are other things wrong with the wheel... if you break more spokes then it is time to consider rebuilding or replacing the wheel as it is a sign that the spokes were run in an un-tensioned state and have become fatigued.
I was going to say something like this if no one else had, but fortunately 65er beat me.

What he's ultimately saying is that if another spoke goes, you should consider replacing the wheel, I think.
Old 04-05-11, 02:10 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I was going to say something like this if no one else had, but fortunately 65er beat me.

What he's ultimately saying is that if another spoke goes, you should consider replacing the wheel, I think.
Repeated spoke failure is a warning sign that things may not be right... one of the reasons I opted to replace all my spokes was that when I built the wheel used some pretty light spokes and as the bike sees some harder use now some thicker gauge DT spokes were an improvement.

Was nice that when the spoke broke I was checking the spoke tension with the bike on the stand as I noticed my usually perfect wheel was a touch off of being true.

I carry extra spokes for any bike that travels long distances and when I build wheels I always include extra spokes as most of my wheel sets go touring or are for commuters who sees tons of hard miles.

Who knows... your bike may have been locked up and someone else might have put a pedal or a foot into your wheel while they were parking. Bike racks are notorious for this kind of damage and I usually look for lockups where I don;t have to share too much space.
Old 04-05-11, 02:30 PM
L.L. Zamenhof

Bikes: Rampar R-One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently broke a spoke. Took it in, they fixed it and it cost $20, along with a brake cable and housing. I think that was all I got that day. Trued the wheel, too.
Old 04-05-11, 02:44 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
What kind of bike, what kind of wheels, what kind of spokes, front wheel, rear non-drive side wheel, rear drive side wheel, it will affect the price. If you have a basic upright Townie with standard non-bladed spokes and 32 spooked wheel then a $20 should do it. But if you bring in a fresh pizza on a slow day and also buy your new tires/tubes from them then you might get a deal on the spoke replacement and wheel truing.
Old 04-05-11, 04:34 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It depends a lot on the shop, you, and how much they like/know you.
Old 04-05-11, 07:32 PM
neotheone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. This has been a huge load off my mind.
The reason I thought it might be a broken spoke was because I was riding home from work and heard a sound like a really out of tune guitar string being plucked. It was about midnight, and I had just worked an 11 hour shift.

I checked it this morning, and sure enough, there is a broken spoke. I had to unhook my rear brakes to ride home last night. Another question. I've probably put about 15 - 20 miles on it since it broke without realizing it. Will this harm the rim? My bike is my sole mode of Transportation, so I'm gonna take it on a bus to the LBS tommorow morning. Hopefull he can have it done before I have to go into work.

Once again. Thanks everyone. You've all been a huge help.
Old 04-05-11, 08:12 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My bike is my sole mode of Transportation, so I'm gonna take it on a bus to the LBS tommorow morning. Hopefull he can have it done before I have to go into work.
Someone above mentioned visiting the local bicycle co-op. This might be a good idea for you. The could show you how to do the work.

If your bike is your sole means of travel (besides the bus...), you'll really want to know how to do simple repairs. And actually replacing a spoke isn't rocket science. You could learn this quickly and it would come in very handy when you have another broken spoke and the LBS is too busy to repair your bike for several days ( this often happens over the summer months.).
Old 04-06-11, 04:04 AM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$20 sounds about right. I went through a really bad patch a couple of years ago where I was breaking spokes on all my bikes every time I rode. I learned how to replace my own spokes then, as well as true my wheels.
Old 04-06-11, 05:20 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
$15 for spoke replacement in our shop, +$30 if it needs to be retensioned. Rear wheel is just slightly more difficult because the cassette/freewheel will usually need to come off (derailleur shifting). Not an issue for a shop; another set of tools for the home mechanic. Cheap tires at $20/ea; Kevlar protection decent tires at $40/ea. $8/ea for tubes. $7.50/ea to install tires.

Total cost will depend on tire choice, if you ask the shop to install, local pricing in your area.
Old 04-06-11, 10:22 AM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked it this morning, and sure enough, there is a broken spoke. I had to unhook my rear brakes to ride home last night. Another question. I've probably put about 15 - 20 miles on it since it broke without realizing it. Will this harm the rim?
Not likely on a wheel with plenty of spokes. The bigger risk, I think, would be fatiguing more spokes so that they end up breaking, too. Even that I doubt will be a problem. I once didn't notice I broke a spoke until I brought the bike in for its annual tuneup. Who knows how long I was riding on it? I used the wheel for another 5 years after that.

Originally Posted by gerv
If your bike is your sole means of travel (besides the bus...), you'll really want to know how to do simple repairs.
I'm not a believer in this. Knowing how to fix your bike can save you time and money. Just like knowing how to fix your fridge, house, car, computer, or any other item that you make regular use of. But biking is not the exclusive domain of the mechanically inclined, and I wish mechanically inclined cyclists would stop acting like it is.
Old 04-06-11, 04:24 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks.
Neo
Our lbs just charged my son $2 for a spoke and $20 to true the wheel. I don't know what your lbs will charge. Most likely the going rate for your area. You should ask them.
Old 04-06-11, 04:29 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Thanks.
Neo

Hard to give anything useful with so little information. Things like what country/city/state etc you live might help.

For what it's worth my local bike shop charges me about £1-2 for a spoke (depending on just what kind of spoke) and £12 to retrue the wheel. Fitting a tyre runs about £8-10, and the tyres cost anywhere from £10 to £50 depending on just what you want. Inner tubes about £5 or so.
Old 08-17-20, 07:24 AM
Liwa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrelli
It'd be cheaper if you could go to a local bike co-op, you will be able to use the tools to fix it and true the wheel if needed. I think it's a better investment than bike shop but f you don't have the time...oh well.
Hey mate
Is this shops in England?
Old 08-17-20, 11:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts

Thanks.
Neo
a bike shop in Vietnam will charge less than one in Manhattan, NYC.

I ask the local yourself , or are you offering cash prizes to the one that guesses the mystery bill to the nearest $?