Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

To pump or to grind? That is the question...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

To pump or to grind? That is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 07:31 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Do what's comfortable for you. The normal response is 'sit and shift down', but here's "stand and mash" expert Chris Horner (red jersey) in the 2014 Vuelta a Espana beating Vincenzo Nibali, and winning the overall title the next day.

Old 08-20-20, 07:51 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by benjamin163
Well I'm 2.95 according to those calculations so I think the answer is to only ride a bike downhill!!
Fascinating answer and thank you for sharing.
I still can't get it out of my head that it all feels easier standing up. I just feel like I'm getting further quicker.
But it's hard to argue with the science you just shared.
I shall just have to keep testing.
Truth is I'm knackered when I get to the top whether I sit or stand!
Which article are you referring to? the Joel Friel article, the one with no science in it and that ended in the following statement?

The good news here is that you can basically trust your instincts on hills in races. In most of the above situations your body will tell you when you need to stand or sit. It’s really not a great mystery – unless you overthink it. In this case, experience is the best teacher.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 08-21-20, 12:07 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Standing on hills, even steep hills, is easy. I can do it for hours.

Riding my bike up them, on the other hand ....

@livedarklions, @downtube42, and @79pmooney pretty much hit all the high points.

All these "here's how to do it Right" coaches are selling their systems. If you don't fit their system, ..... According to the How to Climb index, I shouldn't be trying so hard to climb out of my grave. That's not "science," it is numbers associated with a totally arbitrary concocted system which has more exceptions than validating data.

How to Ride a Bike: Put bike between legs. Put feet on pedals, Spin pedals.

Spinning pedals is optional.

If you are doing it at all, you are doing it right.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-25-20, 10:00 AM
benjamin163

Bikes: Hoy Shizuoka, Condor Acciaio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
What a load of fascinating answers.
I have been out a few times on some short very steep climbs over the last few days and tried both ways.
Suffice to say, I found that it all comes down to what feels right at the time.
Sometimes standing feels right when you're able to power up until you hit a break and then sit.
Other times I've felt like sitting and spinning and getting up with my lungs still in my body.
Like a lot of people have said, whatever works best. I personally find that standing is more fun and gets me there quicker so I shall continue doing that for as long as possible even if my body weight ratio calculation is screaming at me to sit!
Thank you all for these great answers.
Likes For benjamin163:
Old 08-25-20, 10:40 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
you shouldn't be standing if;
1. you're not lightweight
2. you're not young
The thought has crossed my mind, that it is possible I could snap off a pedal if I stand. I probably don't want to do that.

I'd rather sit and and spin in a lower gear. Our "hills" though are generally pretty mild and that's how I like them.
Old 08-25-20, 10:45 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Everyone is different. You could find a hill to your liking, spray or chalk a mark at the top & bottom. I have a stopwatch func in my wristwatch. Time both styles x times, give us a full report. Beware of breaking a pedal.

Last edited by grizzly59; 08-25-20 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-25-20, 11:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
There is nothing I like more than powering over a hill in a big gear after hitting the bottom with some speed. You can always sit and spin if it doesn't work.
I call it "fat people tricks"
Ever since I started riding a lot of gravel where standing doesn't work well, I have mostly gone to lower gears and sitting on climbs.