Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do You Miss Your Bike Club During the Pandemic?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do You Miss Your Bike Club During the Pandemic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 02:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yes I miss my club rides. I'm a social rider and have a hard time motivating myself to ride by myself. Re struggling to keep up with the fast riders: Huh??? If there is more than one route from a starting spot, I'll pick which one I do based on the destination. They can worry about keeping up with me if they want.
Old 08-25-20, 02:35 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
With the big club rides, there had been times when I got dropped turning out of the shop parking light, waiting for a car. Some of the A rides would ride with the B's, just to feel like big fish. Same with B's to C's. I don't need that.

Now I right mostly with a group of fellow retirees and while we like to crank it up the hills, we always wait at turns or at tops. Otherwise, I'd sleep in and do the same ride with a better breakfast.
Old 08-25-20, 06:51 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
Started cycling again after a 20 year fly fishing hiatus. Two old climbing, biking and fishing friends now living on the w coast coast convinced me (not hard) to join them on the Eroica California ride in April. When I finally read about the ride (hard) I realized I really did have to train. I cleaned up my steel racer I had built in the late 70s (52/42 by 11-21) and gulped and trained. This was in February and the pandemic was upon us. I wahooed and took to the hilly Pennsylvani roads in March. All solo and while I could read the numbers showing my improvement, I really didn’t know where I stood.
So, in July (Eroica was cancelled, by the way) I reached out to my riding buddies from those many years ago and also joined the regional bike club, I was thrilled to know I could hang. It was a big confidence builder, especially that first long ride with my 20 yr younger pal hanging on and sometimes not.
I like the club B rides averaging 17 and generally push a little harder alone, which I am 80% of the time. My old cycling friends are safer and generally better riders, perhaps because I know what I’m getting. Club rides establish new friendships and get me onto unfamiliar routes. Gotta be extra cautious on a wheel as there are jumpers and erratic riders, and the occasional pia personality. I stay up front to avoid mishaps. At 69 I’m feeling fit, lean and loving the ride (and smug about being the old fit guy). And I’m having little trouble finding things to buy! Kept my Merlin from 1993 but upgraded from campy 8 to 12. Anyway sorry for the ramble. Best, J
Old 08-26-20, 01:23 AM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
As for me, well, I live in a small city (5k people) in a rural area, so I am fully accustomed to riding alone. And as an introvert who prefers working from home, the whole pandemic has not been a problem for me. 'Course, if I get sick, that tune will change.
"I'm an introvert, but I prefer to be by myself on my own terms."

I just joined a club at the beginning of the year and I miss riding with them. The weekday rides were made up of retired folks- both old and young- people who had flexible schedules, and those who were between jobs, like me. It was mostly a mature crowd, wide ranging B pace, with regroups every ten or fifteen miles. The fast kid would finish the climbs then do laps to the last rider and back to the top a couple of times. Regroups were a time to socialize, so there was never a rush to leave as soon as the last person arrived.

I did a few rides with them before joining the club, so I knew it was something I liked. I figure if I rode with a club that was more intent on racing instead of racking up distance and elevation, then I probably would have kept looking. I had done some other clubs' rides that didn't appeal to me and I never went back to them.

The club has begun to resume some rides, so I'm anxious to join them, but it's not like they'll be the same rides as before. I'm going to be more standoffish, keeping my distance. The groups are going to be smaller, and the vibe will be different. We'll see if I keep going.
Old 08-26-20, 01:27 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
No, I don't ride with my local club anymore. I think the the poor decisions they make because of herd mentality are not in my best cycling interests.
Old 08-28-20, 01:14 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
No. Not at all. I can now ride at my own pace. I don't worry about people riding "underneath" me in a corner because they have no idea what a proper (aka: racer's) line is. I don't worry about the wheel in front of me. So much more to say. I'm happy to ride with my GF and/or some of my friends who happen to be ex-racers locally and know what "hold your line" means.