Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cold Setting

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cold Setting

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 05:50 PM
Rizaa

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8, Ciocc with Campagnolo Veloce 8 speed, TREK XCaliber 8, 84 Miyata 912, Bridgestone 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Agreed. I would never cold set anything outside of a pannier rack. I would never buy a frame that has been tweaked by some guy with 2X4's on his garage floor.

Unfortunately there is a downside- you are increasing the dishing, which is bad. The only solution is to use an off-centered rear rim.

But I re-iterate- there is nothing wrong with that 126mm spacing. Just use a 7 speed HG/UG hub (600-6400, 105-1055, RSX or RX100), 7 speed cassette and RSX, Sora, or Tourney brifters (or Micronew or Microshift). I should know because at this moment I have 4 bikes with 126mm spacing- and 2 of them I have had to re-convert to 126mm hubs because the previous owners (in the case of the Lemond Tourmalet- possibly the factory) stuffed a 130mm hub'ed wheel in there, making it extremely difficult to take the wheel in and out.
I was going down the 7 speed path until I realized that the brifters are sooooo much easier when compared to my older bikes. I just did a rebuild of a Miyata 912 and it rides beautiful but I realized that this could be even better with a brighter . Already had picked up a Shimano tri color groupset, then a Suntour sprint with NOS hubs. Figured then, that I wanted brifters and went and picked up a Campy Veloce groupset with wheels. So here I am. Trying to figure out if its safe to cold set or to get the wheel dished after removing the 2mm spacer.

Last edited by Rizaa; 08-25-20 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 05:52 PM
Rizaa

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8, Ciocc with Campagnolo Veloce 8 speed, TREK XCaliber 8, 84 Miyata 912, Bridgestone 600

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Our local framebuilder uses his Marchetti frame table, cold sets come out perfect. People think custom frames always come out of brazing perfectly, not so, and if minor corrections are needed they are cold set with proper tooling, not 2x4s. How much difference in the two approaches make is unclear but I choose to believe the custom frames will produce sweeter rides.
Thanks for that update. I've read about these but its good hear from people with real experience.
Old 08-25-20, 05:53 PM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
I've cold set 5 of my frames from 126 to 130. All done on my basement floor with a 2 x 4, a ruler, string, dropout alignment tools and a derailleur hanger alignment tool. Not a single problem with any of them. I say go for it. It's only 2 mm on each side.

Thanks for the update on this. I think my delimma came about after I realized that I could only take out 2mm and the wheel slid in easily. So trying to figure out if I should go with cold setting despite removing the 2mm spacer and dishing.
Old 08-25-20, 05:57 PM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
Hey Rizaa I do know that the dropout are perfectly aligned (I set them with my Park dropout alignment tools) so if you just put a slightly wider hub in there, and do the trigonometry, the out of parallel angle should be very small (I used to be able to do that math, but I am just too lazy now a days!)
I would put that 2 mm spacer back in, and just spread the rear with your thumbs, and Bob's your uncle!
Hey mgopack42 , glad to see you here. I actually should mentioned that to you and maybe could have gotten some help with the frame . Thanks for the heads up. Based on my observation, it does look very nicely aligned.

Last edited by Rizaa; 08-25-20 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 06:03 PM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
If it slides in easily with a 2 mm spacer removed, it should slide in with a bit of effort without the spacer removed. That's an option. In theory, you should redish if you remove the spacer. I'm not sure you'd notice a difference. Your wheel will be 1 mm off-center. Personally, I'd prefer cold setting over redishing the wheel.
Thanks for that update. I am now leaning towards cold setting since majority thinks that it is safe to cold set.

Last edited by Rizaa; 08-25-20 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 06:11 PM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Would like to thank everyone for their point of view/feedback. This is what I was looking for to hear everyones experience and knowledge to help me come to a conclusion on how to move forward. I will probably be reaching out to a few more bike shops around the area to see who has the most experience in cold setting with the right tool to make sure everything goes smoothly. Currently there's a wait time of at least two weeks for two of the shops I've talked to. I'll be monitoring for any other feedbacks in the interim.
Old 08-25-20, 06:16 PM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
why, it seems way less of a hack the removing a spacer and then recentering the wheel.

I have coldset 2 frames with no issues one 126 to 135 usiing the sheldon 2x4

the other 126 to 130

but as alwayts ymmv

Good to hear of your experience. I guess both ways could be a hack since requires modification in each case. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-25-20, 06:57 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
It's not a hack to cold set. It's a hack to cold set badly without checking and correcting frame, dropout and hanger alignment. It's a hack to ride the wrong size wheel without cold setting.

Going from 126 to 130 is not a big deal. If you could go back to the late 70s to early 80s, many if not most of the bikes on the starting line of a bike race would have been reset to 126 from 120.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 08-25-20 at 07:02 PM.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 08-25-20, 08:23 PM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
It's not a hack to cold set. It's a hack to cold set badly without checking and correcting frame, dropout and hanger alignment. It's a hack to ride the wrong size wheel without cold setting.

Going from 126 to 130 is not a big deal. If you could go back to the late 70s to early 80s, many if not most of the bikes on the starting line of a bike race would have been reset to 126 from 120.

Thanks for the info about cold settings from 120-126mm. Seems a standard procedure from back in the day. My knowledge in cold setting is limited and not being able to identify a bad vs good cold setting is what am concerned about. I've read Sheldons guidance on how to measure which is what I'll probably use afterwards for confirmation. I've called two places so far to confirm if they cold set. One uses his hands to cold set and check measurements with tools while other is not using anything for measurement. That latter is out of picture. I'll be calling a few more places to see who has the the most knowledge and experience to make sure the frame does not get damaged due to a bad adjustment.
Old 08-25-20, 08:45 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Rizaa
Thanks for the info about cold settings from 120-126mm. Seems a standard procedure from back in the day.
Yeah, very common and very standard in bike shops BITD. I did it all the time. To do it professionally, normally a shop would do something like the following:

A Park frame straightening tool (AKA Zombie tool) would be used to pull out the rear triangle one side at a time. I guess it could be done with hands, but if you pull the two sides apart at the same time, often one side will bend out more than the other. That's why the next tool is used, a Park frame alignment tool. You could use string, but a bike shop would not have. If you do, use fishing line or thread. That twine on Sheldon's page is not going to be very accurate. When the sides are both moved out the desired amount, 2mm each in your case, and checked with a ruler and frame alignment tool, then the dropouts are realigned, using ... dropout alignment tools. Lastly the derailleur hanger is realigned with a hanger tool. Everything is double checked, and the bike is ready for new wheels.

I realize you don't plan on doing this yourself, but it does give you a list of tools to ask about.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 08-25-20, 10:16 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Rizaa
I was going down the 7 speed path until I realized that the brifters are sooooo much easier when compared to my older bikes.
Maybe I didn’t write clearly the first time- Shimano made/ makes 7 speed brifters. You can absolutely run that 7 speed tri-color groupset with RSX or Sora 7 speed brifters.
Old 08-26-20, 05:27 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Rizaa, let me give you a bit more information on steel frame alignment and cold setting. I'm a framebuilder and painter that has aligned hundreds of frames in my long career. I would be surprised if your frame is perfectly aligned. My experience has shown that the majority of steel frame leave the factory or shop somewhat out of true. The exceptions would be some Japanese frames and expensive custom frames. And if a frame is well used something in its history makes it worse. The heat involved in brazing or tig welding pulls the tubes in the direction of wherever the heat is applied. It is the skill of the builder that everything ends up in plane and the dropouts equidistant from that plane. Usually this involves many little cold sets during the build. Because it requires extra time and effort to get it spot on, most frames are usually not. It is a myth that cold setting hurts a frame. For example forks are bent a lot to get its curve.

Properly aligning a frame is not a simple task and requires special tools. Professional builders will have some kind of big accurate surface plate as a foundation to check alignment. This piece of equipment would be very rare in an ordinary bicycle shop. The process starts by taping and facing the bottom bracket shell. Then the frame is attached to the surface plate and each tube is checked to see that it is parallel to the table. It is especially important that the seat tube be 90º to the threads in the BB shell because if it is not, that can put can twist the flats of your pedals putting a strain on your knees. Next the dropouts are checked and adjusted so their inside surface is equidistant from the center of the frame. There are a variety of tools that can check that. Then dropout alignment tools are used to bend the faces parallel to each other and a rear derailleur hanger tool makes sure the derailleur hanger is square with a wheel. After all that adjustment the entire frame should be checked to make sure everything is still right. I don't know any of my colleagues that charge as little as $30 to do a full alignment.

As others have already mentioned, I commonly spread 120 5 speed spacing to 126 6 speed spacing back in the early 80's. When 130 became the standard for 8 speeds (and more) than I was often asked to spread 126 to 130. You would have to look very close to notice any tiny amount of bend in the stays.
Old 08-26-20, 07:57 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
I would probably cold-set, if the guy is going to guarantee he sets alignment correctly. If it really isn't hard to get the 130 wheel in, I would get or make a dropout alignment tool and at least get the drops parallel.
Old 08-26-20, 09:42 AM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Maybe I didn’t write clearly the first time- Shimano made/ makes 7 speed brifters. You can absolutely run that 7 speed tri-color groupset with RSX or Sora 7 speed brifters.
My apologies for overlooking the information that you had provided. You are correct. I just checked and there is a 7 speed brifter option using RX and RSX 100 series. This throws another wrench in my situation now..lol. I now have two options to go with since have two complete group sets. one Shimano Tri-color 7 speed and the other with Campy Veloce 8 speed after a cold set.
Old 08-26-20, 09:44 AM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, very common and very standard in bike shops BITD. I did it all the time. To do it professionally, normally a shop would do something like the following:

A Park frame straightening tool (AKA Zombie tool) would be used to pull out the rear triangle one side at a time. I guess it could be done with hands, but if you pull the two sides apart at the same time, often one side will bend out more than the other. That's why the next tool is used, a Park frame alignment tool. You could use string, but a bike shop would not have. If you do, use fishing line or thread. That twine on Sheldon's page is not going to be very accurate. When the sides are both moved out the desired amount, 2mm each in your case, and checked with a ruler and frame alignment tool, then the dropouts are realigned, using ... dropout alignment tools. Lastly the derailleur hanger is realigned with a hanger tool. Everything is double checked, and the bike is ready for new wheels.

I realize you don't plan on doing this yourself, but it does give you a list of tools to ask about.
I appreciate you taking your time out to explain the different tools needed for this job. This really helps because now I know what to ask LBS's of what they use for cold setting. This gives me more confidence in choosing the right shop.
Old 08-26-20, 11:23 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
why, it seems way less of a hack the removing a spacer and then recentering the wheel.

I have coldset 2 frames with no issues one 126 to 135 usiing the sheldon 2x4

the other 126 to 130

but as alwayts ymmv
Agree! On one hand you need to find an expert in cold-setting and related alignment. On the other hand you need to find en expert on chainline, dishing wheels, and resolvint any related truiing issues.
Old 08-26-20, 01:26 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
You don't need an "expert" to center a rim. You don't even need a rim-centering gauge. Chainline is an issue no matter what option you choose, since you're employing more cogs than what the bike had originally.
Old 08-26-20, 01:29 PM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Rizaa, let me give you a bit more information on steel frame alignment and cold setting. I'm a framebuilder and painter that has aligned hundreds of frames in my long career. I would be surprised if your frame is perfectly aligned. My experience has shown that the majority of steel frame leave the factory or shop somewhat out of true. The exceptions would be some Japanese frames and expensive custom frames. And if a frame is well used something in its history makes it worse. The heat involved in brazing or tig welding pulls the tubes in the direction of wherever the heat is applied. It is the skill of the builder that everything ends up in plane and the dropouts equidistant from that plane. Usually this involves many little cold sets during the build. Because it requires extra time and effort to get it spot on, most frames are usually not. It is a myth that cold setting hurts a frame. For example forks are bent a lot to get its curve.

Properly aligning a frame is not a simple task and requires special tools. Professional builders will have some kind of big accurate surface plate as a foundation to check alignment. This piece of equipment would be very rare in an ordinary bicycle shop. The process starts by taping and facing the bottom bracket shell. Then the frame is attached to the surface plate and each tube is checked to see that it is parallel to the table. It is especially important that the seat tube be 90º to the threads in the BB shell because if it is not, that can put can twist the flats of your pedals putting a strain on your knees. Next the dropouts are checked and adjusted so their inside surface is equidistant from the center of the frame. There are a variety of tools that can check that. Then dropout alignment tools are used to bend the faces parallel to each other and a rear derailleur hanger tool makes sure the derailleur hanger is square with a wheel. After all that adjustment the entire frame should be checked to make sure everything is still right. I don't know any of my colleagues that charge as little as $30 to do a full alignment.

As others have already mentioned, I commonly spread 120 5 speed spacing to 126 6 speed spacing back in the early 80's. When 130 became the standard for 8 speeds (and more) than I was often asked to spread 126 to 130. You would have to look very close to notice any tiny amount of bend in the stays.
Wow, appreciate the detailed info that you've provided. I am in awe of the knowledge that is presented by you and each and every forum member(s). appreciate you guys taking out your time to provide feedback. Based on these feedback I've called a few places today and I can tell now that they're not up to or willing to go with what am requesting.
Old 08-26-20, 01:30 PM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Agree! On one hand you need to find an expert in cold-setting and related alignment. On the other hand you need to find en expert on chainline, dishing wheels, and resolvint any related truiing issues.
Thats what it seems like and thanks for you guys pointing that out. It seems they're willing to dish but not go down the road of cold setting except for the first two shops I called.
Old 08-26-20, 01:32 PM
Rizaa

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
You don't need an "expert" to center a rim. You don't even need a rim-centering gauge. Chainline is an issue no matter what option you choose, since you're employing more cogs than what the bike had originally.
Hi, can you please elaborate more on this? Thanks
Old 08-26-20, 02:06 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts

Going from 126 to 130 is not a big deal.
How about 120mm to 135mm? Has that been done successfully?

Old 08-26-20, 02:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
How about 120mm to 135mm? Has that been done successfully?
Yes I just did it on my 1971 Raleigh Super Course. It's not all that drastic.

I've used a wider wheel than the frame was made for but the problem with doing that is that the dropouts won't be parallel, so it's better to cold set it even if the difference is small.

And doing it yourself isn't very hard. Use the string measuring method. Bend with a long 2x4. It helps to have a second pair of hands with you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-26-20, 03:57 PM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I always considered cold setting a hack, I would not do it or want a frame it was done to. Too much room for imperfection, and I'd rather not have bent seat and chain stays anyway.
There's no downside to giving the remove spacer / re-center the rim method a whirl though.
Do any of your bikes have curved fork blades? If so, you should probably pitch them to the curb. Those fork blades came from the supplier as straight blades and were bent (cold set) to their current shape.
Old 08-26-20, 04:23 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yes I just did it on my 1971 Raleigh Super Course. It's not all that drastic.

I've used a wider wheel than the frame was made for but the problem with doing that is that the dropouts won't be parallel, so it's better to cold set it even if the difference is small.

And doing it yourself isn't very hard. Use the string measuring method. Bend with a long 2x4. It helps to have a second pair of hands with you.
Good to hear, and sorry to hijack the OP's topic. I may follow up with you on details. I'm thinking I might need to locate an affordable drop-out aligner tools, to figure out how to fabricate.

One of the 4 bikes I am embarking on, all concurrent, is a 1974 Falcon, seems like a nice frame. My daydream is outfit it with nice period components, but an Alfine hub (hence 135mm).

Old 08-26-20, 04:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@tiger1964, you can make dropout alignment tools with common materials. I haven't done it, but you can find someone to tell you how. The same is true of a derailleur hanger alignment tool. I just bought the Park tools, and I don't regret it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.