Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How many wear eye protection when out on your ride?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-25-20, 07:47 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Always

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I for one am always concerned about protecting my eyes while riding. Not only from UV rays but also from Bugs, bees, flies and any other flying objects while I'm out riding. Riding along at 18 to 21mph and getting hit by a flying insect/bug/bee is not my idea of fun. I've been hit numerous times on the face and they do sting a bit. It just makes me glad that I wore my sunglasses or if it's dark and gray my clear glasses. In addition, if you get caught out in a rain shower/storm it's nice to have something covering your eyes.
Since my distance vision is still good - but I wear 2.5x readers for close work - I had pair of photochromatic Trivex lens put in ANSI frames with my reading prescription set very low. That way I can see my phone on my handlebars or fix a flat - but it does not hamper my distance vision. I the last several months several larger bugs have bounced off the lens - so pretty sure they are protecting my eyes as well as helping me see. I will have a new pair made next year - 100% worth the $250 bucks.
Old 08-26-20, 07:00 PM
Roychol

Bikes: Scott Reflex 3.0/GT Karakoram Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I for one am always concerned about protecting my eyes while riding. Not only from UV rays but also from Bugs, bees, flies and any other flying objects while I'm out riding. Riding along at 18 to 21mph and getting hit by a flying insect/bug/bee is not my idea of fun. I've been hit numerous times on the face and they do sting a bit. It just makes me glad that I wore my sunglasses or if it's dark and gray my clear glasses. In addition, if you get caught out in a rain shower/storm it's nice to have something covering your eyes.
I wear prescription glasses, and have wraparound sunglasses. The other evening, no sunglasses, and a small bug hit me right in the eye. It took a bit of tearing to wash it out. I almost gave up on my ride to go home, but once I got away from the water, the bug situation was not as bad.

The wraparounds help keep the stuff out of the eyes, but just the prescription glasses do not do much to keep flying objects out... At least in my experiences. It's been hard (impossible) for me to find some safety glasses that are comfortable to wear over my glasses for low light.
Old 08-26-20, 10:43 PM
Alj10571

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I always ride with sunglasses protection personally but only because if I don’t bugs always end up my eyes and I have to stop for a minute or too. That is for the summer at least, in the fall, spring, and winter I am fine without them as long as it isn’t too sunny out!
Old 08-27-20, 12:18 AM
cynracer

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Prestige, Russ Denny, 98CannondaleR4000, Olympus Zeus,Torelli Countach OS, 88 Centurion Ironman Master, 70's Ron Cooper, 91 Klein Quantum, Kuota Kaliber, 04 Trek 5200, Ellsworth Ride, Cannondale MT400 Tandem, 98Cannondale Raven, 86 Fuso

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oakley Prescription

Wrap around sunglasses are a must to keep the bugs out of the eyes
Old 08-27-20, 07:12 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I see folks riding road without them. I can't imagine how that bumble bee to the arm would feel at 25mph to the eyeball instead.

Also, there is this reason also........

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-29-20, 09:48 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
On today's ride, I had some sort of bug fly under and up the sunglasses then into my left eye. It wasn't a tiny gnat either.
Old 10-05-20, 03:10 PM
Madmonk1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yellow lenses

Hey speedy bluerider give the yellow lenses a try. There's a reason you see them at the gun range. In low light conditions it brings out definition. Yellow works and so does persimmon if you can find them (Oakley?)
Likes For Madmonk1:
Old 10-05-20, 03:13 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I wear glasses normally and have shunned contacts. My choice as my wife is an optometrist. I have a pair of sport glasses with my prescription in them. Before I got the sport glasses I would ride with my regular glasses and found that when I hit some speed my eyes would tear up. Plus I've seen all sorts of "stuff" in the air that I've run into from bugs, bees, smoke and exhaust. I feel much better wearing something instead of not.
Old 10-05-20, 03:30 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Always.

For one, it's about elimination of as much UV damage as possible. I've lived a life involving many outdoor activities, often in very bright, higher-UV situations. Last thing I want to do is cause UV-involved eye damage.

Don't currently have wrap-arounds, but then on the bike I no longer go at speeds that'll make a huge difference with wind-whipped dust and whatnot. It's sufficient (I think) to have the good basic coverage that the polarized/UV prescription glasses handle.

Back in the day, I had Oakley M frames, in prescription, in one of their darker Iridium lenses. Nice units. Wrap-around style. Great for keeping wind, dust moisture, bugs and everything else away from the eyes, particularly at speed, on the water.
Old 10-06-20, 07:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Let's just be clear, there are conditions where glasses get into the way (pic below from the 2019 Filthy 50). I always have glasses on when I roll out, but days like this, they end up on the back of my head.

I need corrective lenses and normally ride with contacts to allow the flexibility to remove messy glasses; but the 2018 DAMn I lost a contact before starting and used my prescription glasses for the day. It really sucked in the overnight hours with heavy fog and gravel dust covering my glasses, lots of dark miles trying to see the road through a pinhole left by a drip from the bill of my cap. For the record, I had lens cleaner with me and made the effort to clean my glasses a couple times, but it'd only last 5-10 minutes until I was back to a pinhole view of the road.

Photo credit - Jake Langmade
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-06-20, 08:12 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Always.. I have photo chromatic lens that go from very dark to clear so i always have the "right" glasses on.
+1 as well, or maybe +2? My wife and I often go out for evening rides on our tandem, and we are often riding well into the dark. Both of us wear photo chromatic glasses. They work just fine as both sun glasses and after dark.
Old 10-06-20, 10:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I ride with Safety glasses too. Clear ones for low light and dark tint the rest of the time. They're light weight, cheap to replace and provide VG protection from wind/blowing dust.
They're not as fancy as my polarized Raybans but I'm pleased with how good the optics are.
The only issue is not UV protection but otherwise a good alternative

i have always worn cycling glasses of some sort after riding through a swam of gnats. Have even had them deflect a rock thrown by a truck. Now that I have dry eye/s they are even more essential to keep my eyes happy.

Last edited by rsbob; 10-06-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-06-20, 10:41 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
A firework lobbed from a passing vehicle scorched my safety glasses once. I might have been blinded without eye protection.

A comfortable pair of WileyX Gravity frames holds my rather strong prescription lenses without inserts.
Old 10-06-20, 11:32 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,271 Times in 3,459 Posts
I recently got a pair of Smith glasses with interchangeable lenses. Switch between dark gray polarized, a lighter reddish tint, and clear lenses depending on conditions.
Old 10-06-20, 04:14 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The only issue is not UV protection but otherwise a good alternative
There are plenty of Safety Glasses that are UV rated......
Old 10-06-20, 06:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
There are plenty of Safety Glasses that are UV rated......
Good to know. Thanks

Old 10-08-20, 10:40 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
Always. I wear my Rx sunglasses.

The other OCD thing I do is lower my head as a dumptruck, work trailer, or something similar is approaching from the other direction. Don't want to get hit in the face by a flying rock or worse.

Glenn
Yep! Learned this when I was shown how to ride a motorcycle. A friend said always get behind the bars or the windscreen.
Old 10-09-20, 02:26 AM
vjbknife

Bikes: Lynskey times 3. Sportive, Pro29'er and Backroad

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
eyewear

100% of the time. There is no sane reason not to. one large bug hitting you in the eye will make you a believer. I changed over to some Smith Sunglasses because this was wearing me out.

Last edited by vjbknife; 10-12-20 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-10-20, 06:23 AM
Bikerdrummer

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
I always wear eye protection. Although the one day I didn’t, about a month ago, I did a 15 mile ride. It was very humid and on my way home I went to wipe the sweat away from my forehead. I didn’t realize my glove where the Velcro is on top wasn’t connected. So when I brought my hand to my forehead the Velcro strap jammed in my eyeball. It felt terrible. My eye was watering all the way home. When I got home I washed it out with water best I could. It felt weird for about 2 days. Probably a small scratch which healed up. But of course that wouldn’t of happened if I had the eye protection on.
Old 10-10-20, 10:09 PM
Batstar

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Visual acuity and fit is vital to me when cycling. I wear a pair of Rudy Project RX Rydons that have a docking system with an interchangeable lens design. Both the temple tips and nose piece are also bendable for a custom fit. Very comfy.
Old 07-04-21, 04:36 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I rode for a couple years without wearing glasses but that changed for good the first time I rode past a yard with landscapers using leaf blowers aimed in my general direction.
It’s a common enough occurrence now and wherever I encounter it they usually are good about trying to divert the blowers but there is still a ton of dusty debris left in the air so it can be a real hazard.
Old 07-04-21, 04:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
100% of the time for me too. I might take them off on a long slow climb if I’m sweating heavily, but I usually forget about them and they rarely steam up if I’m moving.

I can’t imagine riding without eye protection, but I have noted that quite a lot of people do.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-04-21, 05:29 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Always and for the usual reasons of bugs and stones. I don't buy anything expensive and find UVEX glasses are excellent value. Since I started commuting I've bought a pair with clear lenses - essential kit.
Old 07-04-21, 05:31 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Yes, always.
Old 07-04-21, 05:32 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I wear safety glasses from Harbor Freight. Always grateful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.