Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting older = thinking more about safety?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-29-20, 08:27 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

I am noticing that as I'm getting older I am thinking more and more about safety. For example...

10 years ago? I'd never have considered putting lights on my bike for daytime riding. It's the daytime right? Drivers can see me. Now? I don't leave the home without lights.
Dark coloured jersey? Sure. Why not? Now? The brighter the better so drivers can see me.

Is this just normal progression of getting older? Realizing that I will not indeed live forever? Have others gone through a similar progression?
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-29-20, 08:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Yawn. https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...3-caution.html
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-29-20, 10:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I stopped running with scissors last year.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-30-20, 05:47 AM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You don't say how old you are. I am 72, and I'm just plain more brittle than I used to be and have worse balance. My increased caution isn't a matter of greater wisdom, just different circumstances.
Likes For tclune:
Old 08-30-20, 05:48 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
It's not for me, its for others.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 08-30-20, 06:13 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I’m not sure it’s age as much as it’s experience.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-30-20, 06:22 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I am noticing that as I'm getting older I am thinking more and more about safety. For example...

10 years ago? I'd never have considered putting lights on my bike for daytime riding. It's the daytime right? Drivers can see me. Now? I don't leave the home without lights.
Dark coloured jersey? Sure. Why not? Now? The brighter the better so drivers can see me.

Is this just normal progression of getting older? Realizing that I will not indeed live forever? Have others gone through a similar progression?
I have had three accidents with my Toyota Corolla XRS. In all cases, I was stopped and people just hit me from behind. Once hard enough to total the car. It is my feeling that people just do not pay attention like they used to.
Not sure if it is cell phones or what.

I am getting a
  • brighter rear tail
  • Wear brighter shirts
  • bike in areas with no cars when possible like Vietnam Veterans memorial trail at the enterprise park at Calverton
  • My local bike shop said to get bright socks. He said they get attention due to the spinning.
  • I also try to find areas with wide shoulders. The really narrow shoulder roads has lead to some close calls.
  • I also try to ride with others if I can. At least if I get hit and knocked into a ditch someone will be there.
I never used a front light as I can see what's coming at me. And not sure how it would help safety even if it made me more visible to oncoming cars.

I was watch Netflix and it was about a guy riding around Europe. I noticed the street had two car lanes, and dedicated bike late with circular curbstones to keep cars out. I doubt that will happen here, but it probably helps with safety.
Old 08-30-20, 06:27 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I'm getting too old to fall down. Broken bones take longer and longer to heal the older you get. A broken bone for a 70 year old is much worse than for a 20 year old.
Old 08-30-20, 06:38 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Distracted drivers, cell phones, large SUVs and increased traffic, is why I take extra efforts to be visible.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-30-20, 06:52 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Distracted drivers, cell phones, large SUVs and increased traffic, is why I take extra efforts to be visible.
Which are? (if not mentioned above)

Last edited by Univega; 08-30-20 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-30-20, 07:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Univega
Which are?
Increased possibility of being forced off the road or hit.

I added front an rear lights a few years ago when on a sunny and clear day, I went under a long highway underpass and was almost hit. The driver stopped at a light and said they never saw me. In the early mornings there are deep shadows which it's easy not to be seen. In the winter when the sun is low in the sky it's good to have a front light when going north and a rear light when going south so the drivers can see you in the suns glare.

I guess if i was riding farm roads in the midwest I wouldn't need lights, but I live on Long Island the home of the 110# soccer mom (and dads) in a 6000# SUV who's multi tasking as they drive.

Being told "sorry I didn't see you" as i'm laying on the ground won't make me feel any better.
Old 08-30-20, 08:36 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
We definitely don't heal as well as we get older. Reaction times aren't as good either. Sort of forces a reevaluation of everything we do.

But safety is about a whole lot more than visibility or even automobiles. Car wrecks will flat out kill you, but 85% of all bike accidents are a single rider. I think knowledge and self education is key. Research bike statistics and look at the sort of things that can kill bicyclist. Also try to sort through the macho bull**** that seems to guide the thinking of so many people.
Old 08-30-20, 08:46 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
NoWhammies I am 58 years old, and I have been bike commuting seriously for 28 years. Every year it seems I become more cautious and proactive. I also drive more cautiously, too.

Last edited by BobbyG; 08-31-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-30-20, 08:56 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Have others gone through a similar progression?
While I don't think that it is because I am getting older, I think that for me, it's things I've picked up along the way.

On my recumbent, I had to use mirrors to see what was behind me. There was no easy way to turn around and see traffic. And being much lower to the ground than my upright bikes, I installed red LED flashers.
I got to used to having mirrors, I now never leave my house on my uprights without a mirror attached to my helmet. I feel so much more confident on the roads when I can see and track a car behind me. And all of my uprights now have LEDs flashing I as ride.
And if I decide to ride on roads, I always switch to a brighter colored jersey.

Riding with RUSA sponsored events, night time riding requires certain gear as well. And now I wear this gear any time I ride in low light situations.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 08-30-20, 10:31 AM
cuyd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe you just got more experience, not only with yourself but also with other people.
Likes For cuyd:
Old 08-30-20, 10:37 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I run front and rear LED blinkers every ride, and I started using a bar-end mirror (SprinTech) a few years ago - took the bike out for a spin a while back after a rebuild to finalize the position of the shifters, so no tape, mirror, etc - felt naked without the mirror. I also don’t bomb descents like I used to
Old 08-30-20, 10:57 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Was always careful on the road bike, so not much change there. But I am more careful these days on the mtn.bike-guess age and not riding off-road often has done that.
Old 08-30-20, 01:32 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
I think it's pretty common to realize your own mortality as you get older.
Old 08-30-20, 01:52 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
At present, I have zero concern at dying of old age. But I now have people under my care so I need not only to be alive but also healthy and uninjured. And then the stupendously horrid cost of hospitalization - anything to avoid accidents / minimize injuriy if accidents do occur, I will do.

And finally, giving my loved ones the peace of mind when I'm leaving with all the safety stuff in check.

Those are my reasons why I now think more of safety.
you ride your bike all over Manila?
Old 08-30-20, 02:05 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
I'm getting too old to fall down. Broken bones take longer and longer to heal the older you get. A broken bone for a 70 year old is much worse than for a 20 year old.
+1 I"m 3 years behind you, but I've done enough crashes that I know I will land on an old injury and have to put put with another year or more of cut up foam to sleep on. No thanks.
Old 08-30-20, 03:03 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Increased possibility of being forced off the road or hit.

I added front an rear lights a few years ago when on a sunny and clear day, I went under a long highway underpass and was almost hit. The driver stopped at a light and said they never saw me. In the early mornings there are deep shadows which it's easy not to be seen. In the winter when the sun is low in the sky it's good to have a front light when going north and a rear light when going south so the drivers can see you in the suns glare.

I guess if i was riding farm roads in the midwest I wouldn't need lights, but I live on Long Island the home of the 110# soccer mom (and dads) in a 6000# SUV who's multi tasking as they drive.

Being told "sorry I didn't see you" as i'm laying on the ground won't make me feel any better.
i ride country roads here in east central Illinois and I now use head and taillights. I’m almost 62 and definitely don’t heal as fast as I did in my younger days. Folks around here are pretty friendly and respectful. They’re used to seeing us ride on a regular basis. I’m extra careful during planting and harvesting times. To quote Mr Miyagi “squished like grape”.
Old 08-30-20, 03:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
No just watching society collapsing into authoritarianism..
Old 08-30-20, 09:57 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I haven't been in a accident in 50 years, it will happen one day, but I don't obsess about it. Yes, take precautions but ride within the rules and you should be ok.
Old 08-30-20, 10:04 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Yup, I train in the hilly areas of the city around the central business district everyday. Hoping to be in a race by next year if I can find a nice used gravel or CX bike by then.
i wouldn’t dare ride with all that traffic there. You got some balls riding in the city.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 08-30-20, 10:29 PM
spank226

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
I can echo the comments of the OP almost verbatim.

I've been off the bike for pretty much 20 years. Before that, I really didn't have a whole lot of fear of being hit. In the mid to late 1980s, I'd ride my bike all over the place. I'd draft school busses and semi trucks following inches behind them at 50-60mph, spun out in a 53x13 riding the pocket of air behind it on 210/Indian Head Hwy from Accokeek to Indian Head, and Rt301 from Waldorf to LaPlata. I'd ride 24 miles in pitch black at 10pm on 2-lane roads with nothing but a reflective construction vest (again, think 1980's mesh vest with 2 reflective vertical stripes on it) pretty much ever Friday or Saturday night to come home from my girlfriend's house in Waldorf while I lived up against the Potomac.

Now I have a son who is not far off from the age I was when I started riding, and there's NO WAY IN HELL I'd let him go ride the roads himself for hours on end. And I have absolutely no idea how my mom let me do all those rides and stayed sane. I'd ride from Indian Head up to Southeast DC onto South Capital Street, around the Capital to North Capital street, then Georgia Ave and over to Bonifant Street to the Bike Shop I raced with. And then I'd ride home again. And THAT was as a 16 year old. To think back on that now that I'm a father... NUTS.

When I first ventured back out onto the road this summer, I was terrified of every car that approached me from behind. I'm riding WAY on the shoulder whereas before I'd pretty much ride the white line or within 6" of it to avoid the glass and debris and rough shoulder. Now I feel like I'm doing a mtb ride on road tires as I jackhammer my way down the road as far from the white line as I can safely get. And cornering? Forgetaboutit. I'm so chicken now. I never really was a good crit rider, but I was pretty good on road courses and twisty decents. NOW? Pffft. Scared to slide out in sand. Pain hurts. My days of sticking to the sheets are behind me and I hope they stay that way.

I haven't splurged on new led lights-- I still just have the old stuff that was common back in the 1990s-- but every time I drive by a cyclist who has some nice, super-bright ones I feel like pulling over to ask the what brand they are so I can go buy myself some similar ones!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.