Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New shifter cables not working

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 02:27 PM
bikeamateur70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am a rather newbie to bicycle mechanics. Have changed shifter cables and housing on my hybrid bike a few times without any problems. Now I try to replace my shifter cables on my Cannondale Caad9 roadbike (Shimano Ultegra FD6600 groupset). Think the limit screws are rather properly adjsuted ( I am able to move the shifter with my hand to all cogs). But when attaching the cable rather tight nothing works. Using the shifter there is no gearing. I guess I do some basic mistakes. I can feel the cable getting more tense and loosen when i use the shifter, but there is no movement in the derailleur. And I am only able to make 3-4 “clicks” in the shifter. Should the cable be supersupertight when its attached? Any ideas where to start to solve this?
Manual check of adjsument

Old 09-01-20, 02:53 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 102 Posts
Make sure the cable isn't wrapped around or snagged on anything. Make sure it is routed correctly.
Loosen the pinch bolt pull the cable taut and pull the cable by clicking the shifter see does it move smoothly.
Start with the shifter in the lowest gear.
Then pull the cable taut and tighten the pinch bolt.
If the limit screws where correct to begin with they should still be.
Old 09-01-20, 03:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 4,858 Times in 3,348 Posts
Limit screws are something that when set correctly, they should never need to be touched again. So don't if you haven't already. Certainly not for just a cable change.

This DM is for the next model higher than yours, but it probably will get you started in the right direction. Might need to go back to square one though and start at the very beginning.... you know... Sound of Music... Do, re, mi ? <grin>

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...001-24-ENG.pdf

But I suspect you simply had the chain in the wrong rear gear when you put the cable through the hold fast.
Old 09-01-20, 03:11 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Limit screws are something that when set correctly, they should never need to be touched again. So don't if you haven't already. Certainly not for just a cable change.

This DM is for the next model higher than yours, but it probably will get you started in the right direction. Might need to go back to square one though and start at the very beginning.... you know... Sound of Music... Do, re, mi ? <grin>

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...001-24-ENG.pdf

But I suspect you simply had the chain in the wrong rear gear when you put the cable through the hold fast.
Yes, make certain that the derailleur is in its most-relaxed position (Inner front, outer rear) and that the shifter has paid out the maximum amount of cable; shift several times while pulling on the cable to ensure this. Make certain that the cable head is properly seated in the shifter.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 09-01-20, 03:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 2,063 Posts
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-6K20A-001-ENG.pdf
Old 09-01-20, 03:30 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
.....and that the shifter has paid out the maximum amount of cable; shift several times while pulling on the cable to ensure this. Make certain that the cable head is properly seated in the shifter.
+1 I also expect this is your problem. You have to upshift the rear shifter several times to assure the shifter is in it's most "relaxed" position and the cable is extended as fully as possible. Only then do you attach it to the derailleur clamp, pull the cable snug and tighten the clamp bolt. Then use the barrel adjuster until it shifts properly.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 09-01-20, 04:37 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeamateur70
Should the cable be supersupertight when its attached?
No, it should not. The cable should be snug when you tighten down the pinch bolt on the derailleur. As others have pointed out, you might have missed the basic steps of setting the chain in the correct position (big ring, small cog) and setting the shifter to its correct position (where it will be when on the smallest cog). Then you set your barrel adjuster all the way down, so that you can fine-tune to add tension later if needed.

I highly recommend the Park Tool youtube channel. They should have several videos that will cover setting up a rear derailleur for indexed shifting.

Also, make sure that cable isn't touching your bike stand. It looks awfully close in one of the photos.
Old 09-01-20, 04:41 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 2,063 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
No, it should not. The cable should be snug when you tighten down the pinch bolt on the derailleur. As others have pointed out, you might have missed the basic steps of setting the chain in the correct position (big ring, small cog) and setting the shifter to its correct position (where it will be when on the smallest cog). Then you set your barrel adjuster all the way down, so that you can fine-tune to add tension later if needed.

I highly recommend the Park Tool youtube channel. They should have several videos that will cover setting up a rear derailleur for indexed shifting.

Also, make sure that cable isn't touching your bike stand. It looks awfully close in one of the photos.
You're going to want it on the small ring if you're doing the left shifter
Old 09-01-20, 04:52 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
You're going to want it on the small ring if you're doing the left shifter
Oh, I thought OP was asking about the rear derailleur because they said they only had "3-4 clicks" when attempting to shift, and then they showed us an ECU of the rear derailleur without showing the front.

Anyhoo, same rationale applies to the front: cable should be snug (not "supersupertight") and it should be possible to add tension at the barrel adjuster later, if needed. And (obviously) the most relaxed position for the front is over the inner chainring. Consult YouTube for more detailed guidance.
Old 09-01-20, 08:01 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
Make sure the cable isn't wrapped around or snagged on anything. Make sure it is routed correctly.
Loosen the pinch bolt pull the cable taut and pull the cable by clicking the shifter see does it move smoothly.
Start with the shifter in the lowest gear.
Then pull the cable taut and tighten the pinch bolt.
If the limit screws where correct to begin with they should still be.
No, you mean the highest gear (for the rear). Small cog, it's different from low gear.

Originally Posted by BoraxKid

If the OP is doing cables/housing for both shifters he should start w/ the rear, and that would mean small cog/small ring.
Old 09-03-20, 04:59 AM
bikeamateur70

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Problem solved

There seem to be a very obvious cause to the problems with the rear derailleur: the bike repair stand. I thought I had no places where the bike stand made problem, but I realized the cables couldnt move properly under the frame due to the pressure between the frame and bike stand. I was aware this pressure under the down tube (had to build a Lego "adapter" to create space). When hanging the frame from the roof I was able to get the shifters operating. Now on the front derailleur!
Old 09-03-20, 05:10 AM
bikeamateur70

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts