Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why so much hate for Gatorskins?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why so much hate for Gatorskins?

Old 09-07-20, 07:40 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Maybe I’m an outlier, but I like them. 12,500 km so far and no flats.
Likes For Steeler_fanatic:
Old 09-07-20, 09:23 PM
relrrt

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I rode across country 3367 miles on the same set and only had 2 flats.
Likes For relrrt:
Old 09-08-20, 02:23 AM
Crankstank 

Bikes: 2008 Rodriguez Adventure, 1995 TiCycles, 1995 KHS Montana Pro Custom, 2012 Surly Troll, 1976 Azuki Gran Sport Custom Frankenbike, 1974 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1976 Schwinn Superior, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Durable

And yes Gators are not race tires so you wouldn’t put them on a race bike. They are light touring tires. For commuting, especially through industrial areas they work fine and still not as heavy as a Schwalbe Marathon. I like them because they last. I don’t think they are worth the money though.
Likes For Crankstank:
Old 09-08-20, 06:19 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Cyclists can sense when a favorite bike brand or component is under attack, and they rally to defend it. Just putting "Trek" and the word "poop" in the same post can be enough to trigger the response.
I sometimes wonder if there is an automated forum widget that alerts them to certain "trigger words". They get a popup if someone is dissing their favorite product!
Old 09-08-20, 10:26 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Who invited all the tandem riders into this forum?

go back to your forum. You have nothing relevant to add here.
Now, wait a minute, buddy! Hopefully you're joking, but don't ya think that a good share of tandems are actually road bikes, too? And, don't ya think we ride solo bikes as well? We're talkin' Gatorskins here for any type of road bikes, and many of us tandem guys have also used these tires on our solo bikes. I personally don't care for them much for solo rides, but for tandems or for anyone who needs a durable tire that's capable of handling heavy loads, they're a pretty decent tire.
Old 09-08-20, 10:40 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10102 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Are tandems those bikes with two people on them? Weird!
Old 09-08-20, 10:54 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Since we are talking tandems (with twice the weight) and gatorskins, what PSI do you keep?
Old 09-08-20, 10:56 AM
Stan Heinricher

Bikes: 1978 Serotta road bike, 2011 Dahon 7-speed

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I agree with you. I'm running 25mm Gators front and rear. No problemo.
Old 09-08-20, 11:32 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
My GrandPrix 4 Seasons do this as well, I'm constantly trimming threads off of the sidewall near the bead they have ~2,500 miles on them.

Originally Posted by seau grateau
I hate the threads that come loose from the casing, don't really like the ride feel, and I've had some crappy sidewall issues with them before.
Old 09-08-20, 12:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankstank
And yes Gators are not race tires so you wouldn’t put them on a race bike. They are light touring tires. For commuting, especially through industrial areas they work fine and still not as heavy as a Schwalbe Marathon. I like them because they last. I don’t think they are worth the money though.
Well, actually.....

My race team did a Continental group buy last season and we bought tons of Gatorskins because a lot of us love them for training and commuting. They're heavy and not very supple, but bombproof and last a long time.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-08-20, 12:30 PM
Jimbo64

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flats?

Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

I used to get 10-12 flats a year with Michelin Pro4 Endurance vs 4-5 with Gatorskins. The ride was so much better with the Michelins that I didn't mind the increase in flats.

Since going tubeless 18 months ago, I've had one flat(in about 20k miles).
———————-

My experience with flats. I’ve been riding Continental 4000s with HED wheels since May 2015. Since that combination, I’ve had ZERO, yes ZERO flats. i attribute that to the HED wheel design & 4000 tire. I ride that bike over 5,000 mi per year on roads often having “garbage in the gutter”. I use 23 mm tires which maintain the aerodynamic effect of the wide HED wheels.

Regarding tubeless.... I bought a new bike in 2018 with 28 mm tubeless wheels & tires. Within 6 months, I picked up a Tiny piece of glass that punctured the front tire. I was flat within 1/2 mile. 6 months later, I had a front TIRE BURP. Fortunately, I was still in my neighborhood and making a turn at only 14 mph. Still, I had a concussion, 3 stitches on my brow and road rash. After studying and learning about TUBELESS TIRE BURPS on road bikes, high pressure (80 psi) & little volume of air on a road tire is a BAD combination. NEVER again will I ride on tubeless road tires. They now have a set of Continental 5000s which are fast. BTW, I did regular additions of Stans sealant.

Jim Parks
Old 09-08-20, 01:21 PM
A1A Rider

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Trek Madone 3.1, Giant TRC C3, Trek STP 200, Trek STP 300

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Long time Gator rider .... but thought I would try the GP 5000's.

I ride the same route, (just longer or shorter). I know every bump, depression, utility cover and gouge in an otherwise smooth surface and thought the route would be easy enough on the GP 5000's. My route is along the coast and is due north then due south, so wind is equally in my face and at my back during the ride and it is flat.

My normal ride is 16 miles and takes 60 minutes +/- 1:15 (15.8 mph to 16.2 mph). Obviously, some human variability here and was :58 flat yesterday on Gatorskins (16.6 mph). This normal speed/time/distance estimates watts at 120 - 130 to the road, over the hour. (so weak)

Anyway, riding today on the GP 5000's with similar effort as measured by HR and perceived effort, (no power meter), time was 55:50 and avg of 17.2 mph. Using rolling resistance calculator, I should have picked up 18 to 20 watts (+/-9 x 2) for Gators v GP 5000's and that is exactly the speed I picked up. Speed/time/distance estimates 148 watts to the road, at 17.2 mph. The GP 5000's are stealing less watts due to lower rr.

So, will wait to see on durability, but the pickup in speed due to lower rr is for real.
Likes For A1A Rider:
Old 09-08-20, 01:25 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_pridx
Now, wait a minute, buddy! Hopefully you're joking,.
I was mostly, but what works well on a tandem(about 400lbs bike/gear + riders), is rarely the same as a standard road bike + rider.
Old 09-09-20, 02:32 PM
glennwegner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of interesting observations in this thread. My experience with Gatorskins began in 2007-ish, when I tired of so many flats. Nothing could be more anecdotal than my remarks. I've ridden roughly 30,000km on them, beginning with 23mm, then 25mm, now 28mm. They are on my Ti commuter/road bike (my commute is 53km each way, so I commute on a road bike). In addition to the commute, I do lots of 120km+ rides, much of that in the Rockies, so plenty of descents at speeds of 70km/h+. So far I have not found them to be unpleasantly rough riding, nor hair-raising in the high speed bends. Like many things in life, I think that your perspective will be influenced by what else you have tried.

I run Conti GP5000s on my tri bike (carbon Kestrel), and used to run Vittoria Corsa whatevers. Convinced that the rolling resistance difference was noticeable, I've tried swapping wheels between bikes (which is another variable not controlled for, of course), and it was apparent that the Gatorskins don't provide the same road feel, and are higher resistance. I can't speak to the grip, since I haven't ever found myself skidding out of control on either.

I've only had a couple of flats since I began using them, but I also haven't had any flats on my tri bike/wheels/tires. My tri bike sees only 2000 road km/year, and much of that during races, where the road is at least somewhat swept.

All this to say that I've been happy with mine, but I also had a pretty good idea what to expect, and understood the pros and cons before I started using them. I also have never tried any other variety of puncture resistant tires. I would say that they are exactly as advertised; high puncture resistance and high mileage. Maybe it's a case of low expectations being exceeded.
Old 09-09-20, 02:43 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by glennwegner

I run Conti GP5000s on my tri bike (carbon Kestrel), and used to run Vittoria Corsa whatevers. Convinced that the rolling resistance difference was noticeable, I've tried swapping wheels between bikes (which is another variable not controlled for, of course), and it was apparent that the Gatorskins don't provide the same road feel, and are higher resistance. I can't speak to the grip, since I haven't ever found myself skidding out of control on either.

Regarding traction: if the theory is that Gators have reasonably sticky tread to start, but eventually turn to "garden hoses," then your experience may be impacted by your mileage. At 300 mi/week, I can't imagine you last a whole lot more than 3-4 months on a pair of Gators, maybe 6 months on the outside? If that's the case, then your tires might not have enough time to "age" and harden, allowing you to ride with decent traction for the duration. Maybe the poor traction comes along past the 12-18 month period? Just a guess.
Old 09-09-20, 02:59 PM
glennwegner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
Regarding traction: if the theory is that Gators have reasonably sticky tread to start, but eventually turn to "garden hoses," then your experience may be impacted by your mileage. At 300 mi/week, I can't imagine you last a whole lot more than 3-4 months on a pair of Gators, maybe 6 months on the outside? If that's the case, then your tires might not have enough time to "age" and harden, allowing you to ride with decent traction for the duration. Maybe the poor traction comes along past the 12-18 month period? Just a guess.
That's a plausible guess. I'm pretty cheap, so I run them until they are worn flat, but even that doesn't take very many months.
Old 09-09-20, 10:28 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I've seen so many derogatory comments on these. What are the qualities that they exhibit that are so horrible? Not saying they're good or not, just curious.

I put a 700x28c Gatorskin on rear of my cyclocross bike and a 28 Vittoria Ziffiro IV on the front to turn it into a road bike this year. The Ziffiro was a little more than half the price of the Gator, and has lower rolling resistance in reference charts. My flats are almost always on the rear, so I wanted something tough back there.

I like that the Gator doesn't pick up grit; a quick wipe with a paper towel after a ride to look for cuts or embedded objects and it looks like new. The Ziffiro has enough tread that it picks up enough grit that I have to scrape bad spots with a plastic tool to make sure there's no glass or metal in there.

I realize I'm running inexpensive tires (the Gator is the most expensive tire I've ever bought), but what's so bad about the Gatorskins that they inspire so much hate?
reviews on bikesdirect appears to like the tire.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...g?fltr=&sg=503
Old 09-10-20, 04:13 PM
Rogus

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
Regarding traction: If that's the case, then your tires might not have enough time to "age" and harden, allowing you to ride with decent traction for the duration. Maybe the poor traction comes along past the 12-18 month period? Just a guess.
Does a "harder" equal more traction? Seems it would be just the opposite.
Old 09-10-20, 07:46 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
No, harder would generally be worse traction. Just saying that he may run through his tires fast enough that they haven’t hardened yet due to UV and other environmental factors.
Old 09-13-20, 09:19 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I stopped using gatorskins years ago and switched over to the 4 Season.
I never liked the way gatorskins handled.
Frankly I think a lot of people that like gatorskins just can't tell the difference in ride quality between different tires, and their only yardstick is the amount of flats they get.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-13-20, 10:06 AM
Gods lonely man

Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
I have been using gator skins on the rear for a long time, they handle bad in rain but the puncture resistance is neat.
I put 4 seasons on the front for less oh **** moments on bad weather.

Yes, i am riding it like this and 0 flats...(i have a new conti hardshell ready to switch)
Old 09-13-20, 12:28 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
There should be unlike button for stuff like the above.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-13-20, 01:46 PM
Gods lonely man

Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
There should be unlike button for stuff like the above.
more than a year on this bad boy
Old 09-14-20, 04:58 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I just switched from 25mm Gatorskins to 25mm 5000s for clearance reasons (the 5000s are MUCH smaller) and I can feel the difference. The 5000s feel more supple and silky, but it's not as earth shattering as some people here describe. I'm assuming I'll see my average speeds and Strava calculated wattage go up when I do some familiar routes.

Last edited by audiomagnate; 09-14-20 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-15-20, 11:11 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I stopped using gatorskins years ago and switched over to the 4 Season.
I never liked the way gatorskins handled.
Frankly I think a lot of people that like gatorskins just can't tell the difference in ride quality between different tires, and their only yardstick is the amount of flats they get.
I'm another fan of the 4 seasons. I don't quite get the gatorskin/5000 polarization. They are night and day. the 4 seasons are in the middle in many (not all) respects.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.