Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tanner's Orchard Vintage & Steel bike ride, Peoria, IL USA, Sept 12, 2020

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tanner's Orchard Vintage & Steel bike ride, Peoria, IL USA, Sept 12, 2020

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 08:20 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
I wish Bushwacker would do that again, I'd definitely show up.
It was a lot of fun, both to see this sort of excitement for the vintage and handcrafted bikes, and just to see what people put out for display. I never would have guessed so many cool bikes were lurking so close to me.

It seems like Robert Woo and Samuel Joslin were the folks pushing the event. Next time you drop into the shop (or maybe do it online?), mention how much you'd like to see it happen again. Wouldn't hurt to mention what bike(s) you would bring to display too.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-15-20, 08:33 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Nice Raleigh. It seems we have similar taste in bar wrap!

1977 Raleigh Competition GS
Nice Competition!

The harlequin wrap is fun to play with, and the Raleigh Team was my first shot at it. The small section of harlequin seemed appropriate, since the paint scheme is already a bit busy. Plus... it would take a while before it got dirty from use.

I did go full harlequin on my orange Borthwick last winter. It turned out okay, as long as only view it from the rider's perspective....

note: I left some black tape near the hoods, figuring that this section would get dirty fast.

Maintaining the correct wrap got hard as I got into the curves, since the pattern doesn't allow either color to overlap itself like a regular bar wrap does. I was using Tressostar, and I recall some folks saying that other brands will get a bit narrower as you put tension on them, which must be the trick to getting the insides of the curves to look good.
My wrap left a bit to be desired in that regard....

oh well... just something to practice and get better at!
Also, I think I'll go with brown and black next time, as the orange tape is starting to fade and get dirty.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-15-20, 08:40 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
Yea , I did mine just to the brake. It is black from that point on. Mine did not come out as nice as yours on the orange and black. I am not sur if I will attempt it in the future, it was pretty hard and to get both sides matching seemed near impossible for me. I think yours looks great, it actually makes me want to try it again. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 09-15-20, 06:23 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
It was a lot of fun, both to see this sort of excitement for the vintage and handcrafted bikes, and just to see what people put out for display. I never would have guessed so many cool bikes were lurking so close to me.

It seems like Robert Woo and Samuel Joslin were the folks pushing the event. Next time you drop into the shop (or maybe do it online?), mention how much you'd like to see it happen again. Wouldn't hurt to mention what bike(s) you would bring to display too.

Steve in Peoria
I need to stop in Bushwacker's ,haven't been there for a few years. Haven't seen Sam in probably 25 years or more.
Old 09-16-20, 10:30 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by motogeek
I need to stop in Bushwacker's ,haven't been there for a few years. Haven't seen Sam in probably 25 years or more.
Just in case you didn't know, the store moved from the Metro Center to the group of stores at Knoxville and Prospect. It's next to the bike trail, so it is a handy location.

Steve in Peoria