Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ohio tour, late sept, temperature/weather prep?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ohio tour, late sept, temperature/weather prep?

Old 09-16-20, 09:28 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
What section of the Ohio to Erie did you ride? Just close to Xenia or did you make it further down towards Cinci?
On this occasion, we traveled 75 miles south on Trail 1 from Xenia down to Cincy, through downtown onto the Ohio River and then crossed over into Kentucky.
Likes For robow:
Old 09-17-20, 07:57 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
totally unrelated to your planned trip, but man I wish I had the free time right now, we have about a good week of clear weather right now , would have been great for a trip....
Likes For djb:
Old 09-17-20, 09:55 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
totally unrelated to your planned trip, but man I wish I had the free time right now, we have about a good week of clear weather right now , would have been great for a trip....
Same here - weather has been perfect. I have a few constraints at the moment and I still need to do a "shake down" ride. I'm hoping one of the constraints comes through quickly so I can get it out of the way. Otherwise I may need to see if it can hold off.
Old 09-17-20, 11:49 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

My foul weather suit combined weight is a touch under 5lbs. 2lbs 6oz for the pants and 2lbs 9oz for the coat.

I will keep it in mind the necessity of it. Yeah, its "stuff" and "weight" but being stuck in the rain it would be nice. That's why I have it - for boating and working outside.
Old 09-18-20, 04:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
My foul weather suit combined weight is a touch under 5lbs. 2lbs 6oz for the pants and 2lbs 9oz for the coat.

I will keep it in mind the necessity of it. Yeah, its "stuff" and "weight" but being stuck in the rain it would be nice. That's why I have it - for boating and working outside.
My cool weather rain gear, and other outer-most layer stuff:
Bike shoe covers -125 grams
Rain pants - 430 grams.
Rain jacket - 390 grams
Neck gaiter - 50 grams
The gloves I use in rain - 65 grams.
Ear band under helmet, never weighed it, probably 50 grams
Total - 1,110 grams, or about 2.4 pounds.

That does not include other warm layers under the rain gear.

My jacket (Marmot Precip) and rain pants (REI Elements, no longer sold) are breathable, I sometimes wear them in the campsite in dry conditions if there is a cold wind. Thus, I consider them to be part of my cool weather gear, not specific for rain.

Waterproof socks, add 140 grams if used but I mostly only use those in winter when riding near home, have not worn them on a tour.
Old 09-18-20, 07:14 AM
djb

My rain pants aren't heavy, but my showers pass jacket is a bit heavy, but like the other fellow said, I'll always prefer to have this stuff rather than not....
one day ill get a lighter rain jacket but this one works well.
Old 09-18-20, 08:47 AM
KC8QVO

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I know the foul weather gear I have isn't cycling/backpacking duty - its Cabelas Guidewear. It works though - I needed a suit that would keep me dry all day if I was out on the lake etc and so far I've been OK with this suit. I agree with considering the gear part of a "cold weather gear" set up, not just wet weather.

As to layers - I have a lot of synthetic clothes that is likely all I'll have, except for socks and underwear. I have a lot of fluorescent yellow "work shirts" that are comfortable both in the heat and as layers for cool weather - both short and long sleeve. Then I have some base layer sets also.

Normally, what I do when it is "cold" (down to below freezing to start off) is I put my bike shorts on first, then 2 base layer pants (1st layer with my socks over top the pant cuffs, that keeps them in place when I go to layer 2) then my convertible backpacking pants on the outside (with the pant legs zipped in, of course). For the top I use a short sleeve shirt mostly, unless it is really cold and I know I wont need that layer then I may stick to long sleeve as a base. Then its another layer or two of long sleeve shirts and a fleece jacket to cap off the "layers" inside. Depending on the temp, I have a thin wind breaker that I wear over top that (cycling, its vented in the rear really well - very open) or I will put on a heavier coat. Of course, that is the beauty of layering - you have lots of options set to go depending on conditions. As for the outside layers - if I need a coat the foul weather coat would suit fine. I use it every once in a while as a regular coat anyway. I am not sure about the pants. They are full blown chest-high coveralls so the layering with them would work out a lot different. However, if getting wet is likely, I'd rather already have the coveralls on than have to stop and work up that layer (take shoes off, etc, etc). I do that on the lake - I just wear the coveralls all day so I don't have to screw with getting them on. Though, in that case I am not exerting the energy I would be on a bike = not heating up inside.
Old 09-18-20, 07:17 PM
djb

KC (and the sunshine band) all good points on layers abd whatnot. Re rain gear that is more bike friendly, i replaced my old rain pants with some north face nice ones a few years ago one sale, and also replaced my old rain jacket with a bike specific one, which as a commuter, I appreciate the details as I use it waaaaay more commuting than on trips. I did choose a tougher one that I figured would last longer, and it was reasonably priced where some light high tech rain jackets are stupidly expensive, and I ain't a millionaire.

on the last note, I've generally accumulated bike gear gradually, and like most of us, have to balance out budgets , so while sometimes it's worth getting really good stuff in the long run, sometimes good enough is ok too.
cheers

Last edited by djb; 09-18-20 at 07:21 PM.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-19-20, 06:06 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
The NE Ohio forecast looks (surprisingly) good for most of the coming week, but if you plan to get up near Cleveland anytime in the last few 2-4 days of this month, rain appears imminent. Not sure of your route, but most of the crushed gravel should be plenty dry for most of the week.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 09-19-20, 09:03 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
The NE Ohio forecast looks (surprisingly) good for most of the coming week, but if you plan to get up near Cleveland anytime in the last few 2-4 days of this month, rain appears imminent. Not sure of your route, but most of the crushed gravel should be plenty dry for most of the week.
If I could already be out it would be perfect weather. But I can't just jump on the bike and go so the weather is bound to change some. I have a meeting tomorrow that will guide planning mostly. The 1st weekend in October there is also a family get-together out-of-state. I am not sure how likely it would be I'd go anyway, but we'll see where trip planning lands come next week and go from there.

I have friends with a place near Port Clinton. I'm half way thinking of going up that direction. Maybe there then cleveland and down, or the other way around. Don't know. Lots of ideas.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 09-21-20, 07:40 PM
KC8QVO

On the plus side -

We're in for a warming trend in the weather. That means lows in the 50's 60's instead of the 40's and even upper 30's.

I am also hoping my main constraint passes by Thursday.

On the down side -

Next week is supposed to bring rain. I'll keep my fingers crossed it's spotty and not a Fall monsoon setting in.

This weekend I'll concentrate on gear and hopefully get a fully loaded shake-down ride in. I remember on my trek in November that the bike would wobble when fully loaded. I am thinking that is mainly from having a high percentage of weight on top of the rear rack, as opposed to hanging down low. I will experiment with loading and see if I drop things off the sides if that makes the steering straighten out.

I also need to tweak my front derailleur. I have a quad chain ring set up and had tuned it earlier this season. Now I am having trouble getting to the largest chain ring. I can get to the lower 3, and honestly I have barely ever used the large one, but I would like to have it to shift to for cruising down hills or running slight declines at a faster pace.

I have recently gone through both hubs and relubed. They're both in great shape. I do have a "bump" in the front wheel. That reminds me... I was going to check with a buddy that has a truing stand to see if we can dial in the spokes and get the bump out. Might as well dial in the rear one also if we're at it.

The past 2 rides I changed my bar and saddle positions. I raised the bar all the way up. That was too far so I dropped it back down an inch or so. Now it feels about right. As to the saddle - I moved it forward. So far so good. I wanted a more upright position to change a couple things and I think I hit the right spot.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 09-25-20, 09:28 AM
KC8QVO

We'll see how this weekend goes. I'm a sore dude so I might hold off on riding for a bit. On the up side, since I wasn't on a saddle I have 0 saddle soreness. Everything else though...

One day turned in to 2. Though scheduled just in case - it was still a LONG 2 days. Many months of prep and dancing with COVID cluster screws in orders & shipments finally came together and wrapped up. Minus a few loose ends, but the upgrade has been knocked out and is functional.

Monster beam and another small vertical came down:

And another vertical went up along with all new 7/8" hardline:

Easier said than done, and nothing happened fast.

As to riding and weather - this coming week looks like it is going to be cooler. Past the weekend and it appears to be a dry forecast, so that is good. Hoping the temp goes up a bit but other than that a dry forecast is good.
Old 09-25-20, 10:29 AM
robow

Ummm.....Oh Hell No !
Old 09-25-20, 10:45 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by robow
Ummm.....Oh Hell No !
There is a colony of wasps in the mast. I am trying to find some video that picks up the buzzing. Eerie hollow buzz coming out of the top.

Old 09-25-20, 01:12 PM
djb

well KC, if ever you have concerns about dangers associated with riding and touring, I think we can safely say that these shinanigans are way more dangerous than heading out on your bike---with fricken wasps up at 50' + to add into the fun....geez louise....now thats scary.
Old 09-25-20, 06:24 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I did Cincy to YellowSprings on the LIttle Miami path last weekend, and temps were in the 40's in the morning and up to high 60's by afternoon. It's warmer now, but by the end of this week it looks like it'll back to about that. Once I got out of the city and onto the trail, it was busy and there was a pretty steady headwind on the way north, but flat and easy to navigate. Basically you don't have to think at all about where to turn because there aren't any until the little miami trail and the ohio to erie trail split in Xenia. In the northern half, there are a lot of farm fields where you could probably get away with stealth camping, and the John Bryan state park and Caesar Creek state park both have campgrounds.
Old 09-25-20, 07:59 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by AeroGut
I did Cincy to YellowSprings on the LIttle Miami path last weekend, and temps were in the 40's in the morning and up to high 60's by afternoon. It's warmer now, but by the end of this week it looks like it'll back to about that. Once I got out of the city and onto the trail, it was busy and there was a pretty steady headwind on the way north, but flat and easy to navigate. Basically you don't have to think at all about where to turn because there aren't any until the little miami trail and the ohio to erie trail split in Xenia. In the northern half, there are a lot of farm fields where you could probably get away with stealth camping, and the John Bryan state park and Caesar Creek state park both have campgrounds.
Thanks for the input. I've been on the Xenia to Spring Valley portion of that trail and you are correct about how easy it is to follow the trail. Xenia is an interesting town for cycling - that is a hub of a lot of trails that connect.

Of all the trails I've been on in the midwest the network in and out of Xenia and the Dayton area are the best trails I've ever been on, from an infrastructure and upkeep perspective. I did the portion of US cycling rt 1 from Johnstown, OH to Hanover, OH earlier this year and it doesnt hold a candle to the network around Xenia, nor do the trails through and around Columbus (Heritage, Olentangy, Alum Creek, Alum Creek connector)
Old 09-25-20, 08:14 PM
robow

We traveled from Urbana south to Xenia and really enjoyed that portion of trail but we heard mixed reviews about the trail north of Urbana up to Bellefontaine. Has anyone ridden that piece and can give me an idea of what to expect, surface, quality, etc ? Thanks
Likes For robow:
Old 09-29-20, 03:52 PM
KC8QVO

I'm hoping my helmet cover and gel saddle cover come in the next day or so. I got a shipping notice - says arriving by sunday, but I've had quicker deliveries than that. I have up through saturday morning booked with wrapping up loose ends and a get-together so target is after that.

On the up shot - it looks like most of the crappy weather will have passed by thursday. That's not to say other crap can pop up, but at least the forecast looks promising.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 09-29-20, 04:31 PM
djb

KC, just be forewarned that seat gel covers dont really work well. Sure they might for a toodle here and there, but they can bunch up and cause friction and pressure issues. A good pair of padded bike shorts work much better. Gel covers are really aimed at teh very casual rider who thinks that by touching them and feeling the cushion, that riding will be more comfortable.
If you havent used it before you go on this trip, be wary of it perhaps not really helping on long rides.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-29-20, 07:01 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by djb
KC, just be forewarned that seat gel covers dont really work well. Sure they might for a toodle here and there, but they can bunch up and cause friction and pressure issues. A good pair of padded bike shorts work much better. Gel covers are really aimed at teh very casual rider who thinks that by touching them and feeling the cushion, that riding will be more comfortable.
If you havent used it before you go on this trip, be wary of it perhaps not really helping on long rides.
Thanks for the notes. I agree with what you said. I have 3x pairs of padded riding shorts that will be going and I've been riding with that style short for several years and they have worked well. My thoughts on the gel cover is extra. I've never tried any other padding other than shorts so we'll see what the combination does if I get there.

I do have a big tube of butt buttr also. With shorter mileage days I am not sure if I will start off using it, but I have it. I suppose I can make that determination on day 2.

The goal is "touring", and not "racing with panniers"....
Old 09-29-20, 07:21 PM
djb

Well all the best with finding what works best for you. I commute so much that I kinda know what works, and am very happy with my combo of padded bike shorts and the different seats I have.
chammy butter can help some on longer rides, but I haven't used it for a long time mostly because I don't want the extra weight and my best seat on my touring bike works fine without.
Old 10-02-20, 06:36 AM
KC8QVO

Helmet cover and gel cover came. The helmet cover isn't seam taped - just fabric sewn together. Will give it a shot anyway. Fluorescent yellow so it is at least a wind break and visibility catcher.

I've been crunching on a video the past 6 days. Part of that was getting over the soreness from my "project" also. Though, the video took way longer than I would have thought. Delays delays delays.... I haven't touched my gear since before the "project". Not sure how far I'll get on that today, but I have tomorrow booked with other things so that pushes me likely in to next week. We'll see what happens. I still want to do a shake down ride once I get loaded up - a couple days prior to launch would be good.
Old 10-03-20, 11:53 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I toured Ohio, Youngstown to Huntington, WV, last May. I live in Yucatan, and it was much colder and wetter than I was ready for. I had a very light rain jacket and my trusty merino wool sweater, that I wore every day. And leg warmers. I picked up a helmet cover and fleece ear band en route. I was riding in mostly lower fifties and light rain. With that sweater on, I was never cold on the bike, except for my fingers. I used dishwashing gloves for their full fingers cause I didn't want to spring for the dedicated cycling full fingers. I also had a thin wool knitted stocking cap under my helmet.
Imo, fleece is all well and good, but wool is better. Not nearly so bulky, warm when wet, etc
I hope you get out on the road soon. Late October gets cold, even in southern Ohio.

Old 10-03-20, 04:00 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
As for NE Ohio weather forecasts, try one of the local Cleveland/Akron TV station's websites a day or so before you start for an extended forecast... For example, last year this first week of October was in the high 80s/low 90s and dry, and this year it is in the low-mid 60s, and somewhat wetter... Last night we even had our first Frost Advisory for the year - and yes, we've historically even had SNOW this early -- but last year we didn't have one until mid-November.

Northern Ohio weather is fickle - especially with a relatively warm Lake Erie just to the North - depending on the wind direction. That warm lake generates LOTS of evaporation in to the atmosphere. I see the clouds building over the lake every day... More than one TV weatherperson has been humiliated and left for locales with more predictable weather!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.