Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 03:53 PM
thejohnpratt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good deal?

Looking for a vintage road bike / beater for campus riding, and came across this guy. Thoughts?

1981 Motobecane Super Mirage Racing Bike 54cm France Pro Refurbished Nice | eBay
Old 09-08-16, 04:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Good deal? if it is what it says it is. Good for campus commuting? The guy who steals it with thank you.
Old 09-08-16, 04:10 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Nice looking bike, I don't know if I would use it as a campus beater, it might get stolen. On my kid's campus everyone rides 35 lb. beach cruisers, this would stick out.
Old 09-08-16, 04:21 PM
thejohnpratt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see people on my campus with Trek, Giant, GMC, Janis, Schwinn Le Tour, Specialized, etc. There's a guy with an old Bianchi that has a brooks saddle and dropbar tape and he leaves it locked up outside all day. I also won't be leaving it out overnight. I would leave it in my apartment when I'm home and only lock it up while at class or in the store if I needed to pick something up

Last edited by thejohnpratt; 09-08-16 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 04:42 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I had a Trek hybrid stolen while in class. It happens. If you like the bike and the price, get it and enjoy it for as long as you can. It appears to be in good original condition.
Old 09-08-16, 04:56 PM
thejohnpratt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of the parts are quality? I don't know that much about the vintage side of things - I don't wanna deal with crappy brakes or a gearset that isn't versatile because I live in a very hilly area and don't want to kill myself getting up hills or not being able to stop on the way down haha
Old 09-08-16, 05:53 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Decent parts. The 2040 tubing is not the best.

Craigslist has many similar or better bikes for around $100
Old 09-08-16, 06:13 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Nice enough for the price but as the others have said it's too nice for college.

FWIW, I bought a full Campy Crescent Pro for my first year of college (1972) and took it into all my classes with me. Only a few professors objected (yay Mechanical Engineering types!) but once I told them how much it cost (the princely sum of $600!) they were cool with it.

Times have changed...
Old 09-08-16, 06:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Don't know your market but I wouldn't pay that much for it in my market. That said you can figure the "overhaul" "lubed up" if it includes new bearings in the BB, headset, hubs, along with tires and cables and if truly "ready to ride" brings it from way overpriced to probably fair priced without the shipping for someone who doesn't work on bikes. Also be aware that a 1981 is likely french threading and sizes on things making it more work & $$ to make any upgrades or changes.
Old 09-08-16, 06:19 PM
thejohnpratt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a seasoned rider by any means. This will be my first bike since I was in middle school. I don't have a crazy triathalon bike or a full carbon anything sitting at home - this will be it. I want something that looks good, rides well, is reliable, and won't break the bank. I don't need "top of the line" anything, nor do I necessarily want a piece of history. Just a good bike. I guess I could've / should've clarified that in the beginning haha. I picked this one because I liked the way it looked, it was in my price range, and it appeared to be in pretty great shape, especially after just being serviced. I'm no mechanic so I didn't want to have to drop the cost of the bike in repairs right off the bat to get it running. So, with that in mind, what are your thoughts?
Old 09-08-16, 06:31 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
When I bought my Motobecane Le Champion (top of the Motobecane production line) in 1974 the Mirage (not super Mirage) was at the bottom of the model line. I actually bought a used Mirage in the early 90s as a beater bike for taking to work to get from building to building. Eventually it got stolen but I wasn't really heartbroken as I think I paid around $30 for it. I don't remember the components being anything to write home about but it was the regular Mirage. I'd guess the Super Mirage was one step above bottom for Motobecane.

Try this for more information https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...utf-8&oe=utf-8 As I suspected, the Super Mirage was second from the bottom in the Moto line.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 09-08-16 at 06:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-08-16, 06:37 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
He has a "Best Offer" option available, so make him an offer of $125 or so and see what he counteroffers.
Old 09-08-16, 06:40 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Unless you are doing long distances, look for an older fixed suspension mountain bike. Tough, probably pre scratched, and less prone to theft. Ditch the knobby tires, toss on some smooth thinner commuter tires and a rack, and enjoy.

Flat bar on the MTB keeps your head up on crowded sidewalks, wheels more suited for jumping up and down curbs, gear levers that don't force you to bend over, and with chances being you'll come out of class to someone else who was late to class having tossed their bike on top of yours, with that nice paint destroyed and possibly necessitating removing their handlebars from your spokes, far less likely to make you fret and lose sleep over cosmetics.
Old 09-08-16, 07:37 PM
thejohnpratt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also found this... not sure on the condition of the parts or anything though as the description is brief and there aren't too many pictures. Says local pickup only but hopefully I could sway him out of that

Old 09-08-16, 08:31 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by thejohnpratt
Also found this... not sure on the condition of the parts or anything though as the description is brief and there aren't too many pictures. Says local pickup only but hopefully I could sway him out of that
Hey, that is my exact bike!

And even as the loving owner of one, which gets ridden more than any of my other bikes, pass for that price. Partly still for all the reasons above, and partly because for $160 you can very likely find even a newer hybrid on CL that would suit your needs much better. If not local, that bike probably isn't going to be cheap to ship. Also if it still has the original steel rims, it will suck at braking in the rain, while I deal with it on my long stretches of not needing brakes riding, it would be rather dangerous on a crowded campus.

Last edited by jefnvk; 09-08-16 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 09:58 PM
thejohnpratt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to try and get the guy with the Motebocane to meet me around $200, I think. I don't need an amazing vintage bike. It might not have the top of the line components, but I've not read anything about them, and it's a good looking bike for a good price.
Old 09-08-16, 10:07 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have one of those in my garage, but it's not quite as new looking and I am sure the 30 year old tires are not rideable. Anyone in the SF Bay area interested?

https://goo.gl/photos/A2FCgiSwF1wso8pu5

Last edited by a1penguin; 09-08-16 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 10:49 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
One more thing to think about. French bikes were odd when it came to thread sizes. My Motobecane Le Champion had French threaded components throughout with the exception of the pedals. That meant that any threaded replacement parts also had to have matching French threads. The Japanese adopted the English threads so you can't substitute Japanese parts for French threaded parts. Just a thought.

The Schwinn Le Tour III is probably 30 years old. Here's a link to the Schwinn catalog. https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1978...LL/1978_14.jpg Note the "Schwinn Approved" all over the ad which is a dead giveaway that the bike was made by Panasonic in Japan. They were decent bikes and a lot lighter than the majority of bikes made in the Chicago factory. It's probably a tad better than the Super Mirage. It's almost as expensive as it was when it was first sold.
Old 09-09-16, 11:00 AM
thejohnpratt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So should I NOT go with the Super Mirage? I just can't get over how good of shape it's in for the price. I like the idea of not really having any work to do with it
Old 09-09-16, 11:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Good bike. The Mirage or Super Mirage was my first serious bike, bought new in 1976 when I was fresh out of Navy boot camp. Rode that thing for six years. I never felt that I'd outgrown it, despite the unsexy hi-ten steel frame. It was as good as I could ride, and I even rode a few crits and time trials (never won but had fun), and lots of long distance rides of 50-150 miles. It was not a racing bike, closer to a weekend touring type bike. Probably weighed 27-30 lbs. And gumwalls weren't standard or correct for that period, but they look darned good.

Did all my own maintenance and a few modifications. Unfortunately I sold all my tools about 15 years ago so I probably wouldn't buy another Motobecane of that era. Nowadays I'd get something with more current components and tool compatibility.

But if this one is as good as the seller claims, and is willing to negotiate a bit, you'll enjoy it. I'm partial to the Motobecane out of nostalgia.

BTW, the Mirage wasn't the bottom of the line back then. There was one other model just below it. I bought that model for my wife but she rarely rode it. The components were inferior and fiddly to keep adjusted. The basic Suntour components on the 1976 Mirage or Super Mirage were reliable and easy to maintain. Only significant changes I made were quill pedals with toe clips, moved the shifters from the stem to the downtube (the ebay model has those stock), and I may have replaced the original rims, I don't recall.

PPS: Check the rims to see whether they're steel or aluminum. IIRC, the bottom of the line Motobecane (just below the Mirage) during the '70s had steel rims. Not great for braking, especially in wet weather.

Last edited by canklecat; 09-09-16 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-09-16, 12:38 PM
thejohnpratt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welp. It sold before he could reply to my message. Not very cool of him, but whatever. Does anyone have any suggestions of other good vintage road bikes? Preferably under 400
Old 09-09-16, 12:46 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Welp. It sold before he could reply to my message. Not very cool of him, but whatever. Does anyone have any suggestions of other good vintage road bikes? Preferably under 400
I'm new to the scene myself.

What I do is if I see a nice looking (to me) vintage bike, I search all about it here on the forums. This place is a fount of useful information. I usually then get clued on on what bikes are "good" or "bad", same with components. Yes, take this with a grain of salt, but these people are more "expert" than I am.

Can I think for myself? Surely. But the advice here really helps.
Old 09-09-16, 01:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Not sure I would buy a good vintage bike for a campus commute, but that's an option ....

Getting a good Anything off Criagslist is a matter of patience, luck, and quick action.
Old 09-09-16, 02:33 PM
thejohnpratt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, so this popped up locally. I would ask for under $200 on it, but it seems promising? There's a really good shop here that can work on the restoration and tune-up. This saves me shipping costs though. Does anyone know anything else about it, seeing as the post doesn't say much?

Vintage Motobecane Racing Bike $250 OBO or Trade
Old 09-09-16, 02:46 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Alright, so this popped up locally. I would ask for under $200 on it, but it seems promising? There's a really good shop here that can work on the restoration and tune-up. This saves me shipping costs though. Does anyone know anything else about it, seeing as the post doesn't say much?

Vintage Motobecane Racing Bike $250 OBO or Trade
You should actually ride a vintage road bike to decide if friction shifting is for you. IMO, an old hardtail mountain bike or hybrid from the mid 90s to early 2000s might represent a better value, and be more useful as a campus commuter as most of those bikes can be fitted with a rack and these bikes are geared better for commuting than are classic road bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.