Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I got something cooler then a space horse.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-14-16, 12:35 AM
EthanSpokesEtc

Bikes: DK team V3 frame built with profile odyssey and Shadow parts, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1986 Trek Elance 400D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sooo i got a 1984 schwinn world sport for free.... and in my opinion cooler then the spacehorse i was looking at because its lugged, its old, and i swear the bike probably has less then 50 miles on it all together. its in amazing shape for being 32 years old. It honestly feels better to ride than any new bike i've rode, including surlys... here some photos.
14256517_10206970600170815_381655722_n.jpg

14331780_10207011486232941_927682446_n.jpg

14291883_10206987706118453_2485478639412252462_n.jpg

the current plan, is get it powder coated(same color), apply frame saver, change up the bars to something a little more modern in feel. get a positive rise stem, convert it to bar end shifting, rewrap the bars, throw some new tires on and fenders, get a brooks, and a walnut studio barrel bag, and then ride the heck outta it until i can afford to lace some 10 speed wheels up.

and when the frame breaks, Its going up on the wall, parts are coming off, and i'll order a waterford.
Old 09-14-16, 03:55 AM
builderguy

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the bike. It looks great.

Old 09-14-16, 06:55 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by EthanSpokesEtc
the current plan, is get it powder coated(same color), apply frame saver, change up the bars to something a little more modern in feel. get a positive rise stem, convert it to bar end shifting, rewrap the bars, throw some new tires on and fenders, get a brooks, and a walnut studio barrel bag, and then ride the heck outta it until i can afford to lace some 10 speed wheels up.

and when the frame breaks, Its going up on the wall, parts are coming off, and i'll order a waterford.
Any reason you are getting it powder coated? The paint looks in perfect condition, and the cost to do it properly is going to run you far negative in value on the bike. Especially so if you are leaving it the same color, ride it until the paint is beat to crap then do it.

Why would you assume the frame is going to break? That bike will likely outlast you.

But yeah, I looked at a mid-80s World Sport when I was looking for a C&V touring bike. Looked quite nice, just didn't fit me.
Old 09-14-16, 12:22 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What a good looking bike. It'd be a shame to have it powder coated, especially if you're not changing the color.

By the way, it looks like that bike shop made it to 56 years.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 09-14-16, 12:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Dang....

My HS graduation present from my folks was an 85 WS. I rode it all the way through college, law school, did several triathlons on it, and commuted to my first job on it. Wish I still had it.

Love everything about your plan except for powdercoating. Paint looks super. Just leave it.
Old 09-14-16, 02:22 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Doesn't need painting
Old 09-14-16, 03:15 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Cool! I'm not an expert, but I have a 1984 Nishiki (steel) and researched a bunch of new bikes a couple years ago (aluminum and steel, but not carbon or titanium) and the Space Horse was one consideration although I didn't get to ride one, so I didn't go with it, but I did go with a steel frame Charge Plug. While some of the new steel bikes had some frame flex, none felt as "supple" and "sprung" as the old Nishiki. Realistically, my Nishiki may have a tad too much "give" for racing, but it is smooth and sweet. You bought one beautiful bike. I think you made the right choice.

I also would not paint it unless it really needed protection.
Old 09-14-16, 05:33 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
My sister bought a 70's bike boom Suburban that probably had less miles on it than your find. I put new tires etc on it and she has put about 25 miles on it in 6 years. It's kind of a shame she doesn't ride it more, but the next owner is going to get a nice bike that might not need much work.
Old 09-14-16, 10:28 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
All 3 of my sons have bikes from that era. With their lugged frame, and the clean cable runs with down tube shifters, they are really beautiful.
Old 09-15-16, 04:11 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 195 Posts
I also agree about NOT getting it powder coated, the paint is in excellent condition and to get it powder coated would be a huge waste of money plus take away from the vintage original look of the bike. If it has minor scratches that show bare metal simply take the bike down to a hobby store and find model paint that will match the color of the bike.

A nice liquid wax like Meguiars NXT would do wonders for restoring the shine to it.
Old 09-15-16, 05:27 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
If it were me (and I was 5' 4" tall), I'd ride that bike. But, I would and would not do the following:

Would:
- Replace cabling, brake levers, and brake pads to my preferences
- Wrap new bar tape
- Replace saddle
- Replace tires
- Add SunTour barcons as OP recommended
- Repack/regrease all bearings, measure and lubricate chain
- True rims
- Replace pedals to something compatible with my riding shoes and style
- Get rid of VHS tapes and any VHS-related equipment in the house

Would Not:
- Repaint/refinish the frame
Old 09-15-16, 06:16 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
If it were me (and I was 5' 4" tall), I'd ride that bike. But, I would and would not do the following:

Would:
- Replace cabling, brake levers, and brake pads to my preferences
- Wrap new bar tape
- Replace saddle
- Replace tires
- Add SunTour barcons as OP recommended
- Repack/regrease all bearings, measure and lubricate chain
- True rims
- Replace pedals to something compatible with my riding shoes and style
- Get rid of VHS tapes and any VHS-related equipment in the house

Would Not:
- Repaint/refinish the frame
Made me go back and look at the photo. lol!
Old 09-15-16, 06:22 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EthanSpokesEtc
sooo i got a 1984 schwinn world sport for free.... and in my opinion cooler then the spacehorse i was looking at because its lugged, its old, and i swear the bike probably has less then 50 miles on it all together. its in amazing shape for being 32 years old. It honestly feels better to ride than any new bike i've rode, including surlys... here some photos.

Aww. That bike's not old. It's younger than my daughter, and she's still a baby!

Very nice bike. Do what you like with it, but I'm with everyone else on the powder coating. Save that for down the road, after you've ridden it a while. You might just like it, the way it is.
Old 09-15-16, 06:23 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Nice score. I agree with the others and would not waste my money on painting a bike that has a fine paint job.
Old 09-15-16, 06:32 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
PLEASE, as a former Schwinn Bicycle shop operator, DON'T POWDER COAT OR PAINT THE BIKE. The only things wrong with this excellent condition bike.... the front spoke reflector is on the wrong spoke and not pulled tight to the rim, the rear spoke reflector is missing, the rear reflector should be pulled back to vertical SO just service then RIDE!!!

Brake levers are fine and properly positioned along with assembly of the extension levers and the cables are nicely run.
Old 09-15-16, 08:00 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seriously, don't paint it...It will only look worse. Leave looking old:

Old 09-15-16, 08:18 AM
Cheddarpecker

Bikes: Fuji Allegro

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In your position, I'd spend as little as possible on this one and ride it until something better comes along. Leave it mostly original, then sell it to fund parts for said better bike.
Old 09-15-16, 09:35 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
That bike looks to be in near museum condition. Do Not Powder coat!
Old 09-15-16, 10:55 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Ad me to the list of don't paint/powdercoat it. When I look at my sister's Suburban I appreciate the look of the stock paint while wishing she'd ride it.
Old 09-15-16, 06:42 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Why do you want to powder coat it? I definitely wouldn't. Its in great shape and a beautiful bike as is. Id think powder coating it would take away from it.
Its just my size too, and i'm in NOVA as well...so, if you ever want to get rid of it...lol
Old 09-18-16, 08:32 AM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's nothing cooler than a space horse.this belongs in foo. The title is click bait.I'm going on a ride.
Old 09-19-16, 04:10 AM
EthanSpokesEtc

Bikes: DK team V3 frame built with profile odyssey and Shadow parts, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1986 Trek Elance 400D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha fine! i WILL NOT powder coat it I know when to take a hint! glad you guys all like it!
Old 09-19-16, 09:56 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 195 Posts
You made a great decision not to powder coat it. If you small scratches where the metal is showing simply take the bike to a hobby store and match some Testors paint to it, then with a very fine tip paint brush put a couple of very thin coats on. It the bike has a lot of fine scratches that don't go down into the primer or metal then simply get a gentle scratch removal called Meguiars Mirror Glaze; but don't crazy with that stuff just enough to reduce the look of the scratches, you may not be able to get them all out which is OK because it you go Gorilla on it you will weaken the thin paint bikes use, and only use it one time, don't keep attacking the paint every other month with that product thinking well it worked ok the first time so the second and third time will look even better...not! Once you done that then hit it with a hammer...just kidding, instead of a hammer use a NON ABRASIVE shine wax like Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (or this might be a better wax since the color looks dark, if not use the previously mentioned one, Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax will make dark colors look vibrant and rich, it is Carnauba which doesn't last as long as synthetic so you may have to reapply it twice a year but it is fast to use).
Old 09-26-16, 11:35 PM
EthanSpokesEtc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
You made a great decision not to powder coat it. If you small scratches where the metal is showing simply take the bike to a hobby store and match some Testors paint to it, then with a very fine tip paint brush put a couple of very thin coats on. It the bike has a lot of fine scratches that don't go down into the primer or metal then simply get a gentle scratch removal called Meguiars Mirror Glaze; but don't crazy with that stuff just enough to reduce the look of the scratches, you may not be able to get them all out which is OK because it you go Gorilla on it you will weaken the thin paint bikes use, and only use it one time, don't keep attacking the paint every other month with that product thinking well it worked ok the first time so the second and third time will look even better...not! Once you done that then hit it with a hammer...just kidding, instead of a hammer use a NON ABRASIVE shine wax like Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (or this might be a better wax since the color looks dark, if not use the previously mentioned one, Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax will make dark colors look vibrant and rich, it is Carnauba which doesn't last as long as synthetic so you may have to reapply it twice a year but it is fast to use).
thanks for the advice! will surely keep that in mind!

A friend of mine gave me some old Forma SL ergo power bars I think their a 42 or a 43cm... im a 44cm according to my shops fitter, in any case they feel better then the original 30 something cm bar it had on it, I moved everything over and rewrapped the bars with some hockey tape I had from the top down(not ideal, but better then foam, and it gives me some grip...)
I also upgraded the stock 6speed freewheel to a newer Shimano 7speed freewheel I had from a previous project. and adjusted the wheel accordingly.... I also adjusted both the front and rear hubs, trued both wheels, got the brakes dialed in, got rid of the stupid plastic mirror that was on it.
My next move is just getting some conti gators on, these 32 year old tires are scaring me with all the cracking lines...

Last edited by EthanSpokesEtc; 09-26-16 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-26-16, 11:50 PM
EthanSpokesEtc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Instagram pic of the upgrades... follow me if you wanna see more progress as it gets done. just search ethanbrackett on insta