Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Start an event but don't finish?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-19-16, 08:48 AM
Cheddarpecker

Bikes: Fuji Allegro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had my first DNF, but it was a personal choice I made on the side of the road before turning around and returning to my vehicle.

I learned to pay closer attention to elevation profiles and to know what to expect thoroughly before hand. What looked like a lot of climbing turned out to be a long false flat. When I realized the excitement was over, and I was looking at thirty miles out and back on flat, boring terrain, I just waited for a break and turned around. All of the local hype had failed me.

I signed up for a mountain ride, and drove across a lot of flat land to get there, only to see four miles of up and down before the flats again. Of the 55 mile out and back, at least 40 miles were mostly flat. I turned around less than ten miles in and left as soon as the bike was loaded.

45 mile loop this weekend on roads that actually traverse the mountains rather than avoid them. Get a real jersey instead of a cheesy t shirt, (I don't wear t shirts) and a number to pin to it in case you end up in a ditch somewhere. Also, results are posted at the end, so I can send my grandmother a link to see how I did. Considering I skip the beer and food at the end in favor of silence, I find this to be a far greater value for about the same price.

My mistake entirely. Lots of people are looking forward to doing it again next year. I may return when I'm ready for the 75 mile loop, which despite the long flat, actually gets challenging towards the end, but I won't pay $50 again for a cheesy t shirt, results which aren't posted, and food I don't eat.

Any similar experiences?
Old 09-19-16, 09:00 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
IT is a bike ride.

Why complain to BF.

Old 09-19-16, 09:04 AM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
IT is a bike ride.

Why complain to BF.
It is, but it's advertised as a mountain ride. I can ride flats all day at home for nothing.
Old 09-19-16, 09:06 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheddarpecker
...results are posted at the end, so I can send my grandmother a link to see how I did...

Any similar experiences?

I can understand what you've written. Additionally, it's cool that your grandmother can use the internet. My mom could never, although she tried classes through the local library. My grandmothers were both passed away before the internet was anything more than a university ftp tool.

I had a DNF once (a paid event) when my daughter had stomach poisoning or a virus, and got sick mid-ride. We found the sag wagon and got her hydrated and home as quickly as we could.
Old 09-19-16, 09:07 AM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nobody to blame for my bad time but myself, I should have paid closer attention to the route.

I was pretty irritated to pay that much for a t shirt, though. Those rides are usually more like $20 and benefit some kind of charity.
Old 09-19-16, 09:11 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I can ride mountains all day for nothing. Onyx Summit is less than 20 miles out of my front door. I can ride flats (sort of) by avoiding (most of) the hills.

I don't understand needing some organized ride in order to ride somewhere specific. Want to ride hills? Go ride hills. As I understand it, people sign up for these sorts of things specifically for the tee shirt and SAG stops. If you're not interested in either, go ride where you want when you want. That's what I do, every single day.
Old 09-19-16, 09:12 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Post a pic of you wearing the T Shirt Thanks.

Old 09-19-16, 09:12 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What event was it that let you down?
Old 09-19-16, 09:14 AM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I could have caught a ride back, SAG stopped to check on me while I was standing there, weighing my options. I waved that guy on, watched about fifty or more cyclists pass, then turned around and returned to the start.

I didn't see anyone when I returned, never checked in, just left. Nobody called my emergency contact to see if I was still alive, so there's that.
Old 09-19-16, 09:16 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
It happens - live and learn.
Old 09-19-16, 09:25 AM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
As I understand it, people sign up for these sorts of things specifically for the tee shirt and SAG stops.

My first event issued me a jersey which I still wear on occasion. Beyond that, I enjoy the accomplishment of finishing a challenging, organized ride with a lot of other riders. I like looking at the results and finding my name near the bottom. Nice to know I wasn't last.

I found I like a t shirt ride with low rolling hills near the heartland, and someday Goodwill will get all of those shirts in perfect condition from sitting in a drawer.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
What event was it that let you down?
One which is a really big deal for cyclists in my area. My disappointment is not their fault.
Old 09-19-16, 09:25 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Next time, at least give your beer and food tickets to someone who will put them to use.

I'm with you on the T-Shirts, though. Got a pile of them that are hardly ever touched, except for the occasional one that turns out to be an athletic fabric. Only seen one event where I got a jersey (my avatar pic), I do wear that regularly.
Old 09-19-16, 09:28 AM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, when I say t shirt, I mean a garment not suitable for cycling beyond a couple of miles.

Looking back, it was somewhat of a bait and switch. Website shows a Canari custom jersey with a zipper. My disappointment began when they handed me a t shirt instead. Different colors and design, even.

I got up early so as to start on time, and must not have been thinking clearly. Took a wrong turn on the way up and went out a few miles on some flat, uneventful highway. I realized the route was taking me that way on the bicycle later, and that's when I turned around.

Last edited by Cheddarpecker; 09-19-16 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 10:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Any similar experiences?
No, Different ones .
Old 09-19-16, 10:53 AM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
So you paid for an organized ride with hills, realized it didn't have the amount of hills you wanted, and turned around before you even got to the hills?

Tell me it at least it was windy? Because I cannot understand why you wouldn't just take your lumps and finish the ride. You were still riding after all.

Was the entry fee going to a good cause?

Why would they post results to a charity ride if it's not a race?
Old 09-19-16, 11:01 AM
Spoonrobot 

Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Hard to commiserate without knowing the event or seeing the elevation profile.
Old 09-19-16, 11:02 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by faulker479
Better yet: why do they post times to a charity ride they go out of their way to emphasize is not a race, and have people standing in front of the finishing chute yelling at people to stop when they are racing to the very visible line with a big old clock over it?
Old 09-19-16, 11:07 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have DNF'ed because of mechanicals, crashes, bee stings, and because I got shelled like a roasted peanut. But I can't say I ever quit an event I'd paid for just because the course wasn't what I expected.
Old 09-19-16, 11:13 AM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Better yet: why do they post times to a charity ride they go out of their way to emphasize is not a race, and have people standing in front of the finishing chute yelling at people to stop when they are racing to the very visible line with a big old clock over it?
I guess I have never been in an organized/ charity ride where they did that.

Or maybe they do, but by the time I get there, everyone has left and they have taken down the clock.
Old 09-19-16, 11:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Any time there's a clock and a finish line (and more than one person), you're going to have some people racing.
Old 09-19-16, 11:33 AM
jefnvk

I guess I have never been in an organized/ charity ride where they did that.
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine 2016 Gran Fondo - Michigan State University College of Human Medicine 2016 Gran Fondo

It was that ride a few years ago. Me and another guy got in a head-to-head sprint down the stretch (didn't know him, we just both got competitive at the same time and started pounding it out). We got yelled at as we went past a few workers as you were entering the finishing chute to slow it down, but neither of us did.

I "won", so it was totally worth it.
Old 09-19-16, 11:46 AM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheddarpecker
I could have caught a ride back, SAG stopped to check on me while I was standing there, weighing my options. I waved that guy on, watched about fifty or more cyclists pass, then turned around and returned to the start.

I didn't see anyone when I returned, never checked in, just left. Nobody called my emergency contact to see if I was still alive, so there's that.
I think you need new people to ride with or my group is just that awesome because if one person is stopped, we all stop.
Old 09-19-16, 12:24 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I DNFed recently. It was a perfect storm. Was sick driving to the 7-day ride. By the first day of the ride, my fever was gone but you know how you often feel drained after being sick? That was me. Couldn't breathe well, up for hours every night coughing my lungs clear, and the ride was 3x as hilly as the flatland I'm used to, with lots of double-digit grades. After 3 days of struggling, I finally had to call it quits. I'm bummed that I had to do it, but it was the right call.
Old 09-19-16, 12:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean3n16
I think you need new people to ride with or my group is just that awesome because if one person is stopped, we all stop.
From the OP's description it sounded like a big charity ride, but he wasn't riding with any particular group.
Old 09-19-16, 01:21 PM
Cheddarpecker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So you paid for an organized ride with hills, realized it didn't have the amount of hills you wanted, and turned around before you even got to the hills?

Tell me it at least it was windy? Because I cannot understand why you wouldn't just take your lumps and finish the ride. You were still riding after all.

Was the entry fee going to a good cause?

It started in the foothills and went down to the flats. Four miles or so before it flattened out. Sure, it was going up, but you couldn't tell from looking at the road ahead, much less riding on it. Twenty miles to climb a thousand feet, then turn around. There appeared to be no reward to the ascent, so I skipped the whole thing.

It benefits EMT, fire, and local Lions, which is fine by me. These events are typically $20 and a t shirt is the run of the mill. I paid quite a bit more than that and considered it justified by the Jersey pictured. The shirt I got wasn't pictured. My disappointment first thing in the morning was offset by the promise of a good ride. That lasted four miles.

Lots of guys were racing. They moved right up to the front to start. I'm sure they kept track of their own time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.