Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who's still using PowerCranks in 2019?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-12-19, 03:10 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

Yes, I am using YouTube comment language in the title and, yes, I'm talking about the cranksets with individual clutches for each crankarm, so your legs each have to complete the pedal rotation independently.

I bought a pair used on eBay many years ago, and used them for several years on trips less than say 12 miles -- often my commute, in good weather. I stopped using them I guess a year or two ago, and now I think I appreciate their benefits more. I'm thinking of slapping them back onto a bike, even though it'll mean digging up an old Octalink bottom bracket.

In my experience, they definitely call on a lot of leg muscles that I otherwise wouldn't be using while riding, based on the sheer pain of getting used to them. Stuff like the front of my shins, stuff in my hips. They made running easier. Looking back at Strava, it seems like they helped my power (when using traditional cranks) at efforts under 5 min, with less training.

I've looked at the studies; none of them seem to be designed too well; one gave some possible qualified benefits, others said they were likely of no help.

Just curious if others have really tried them, or still use them.
Old 04-15-20, 01:43 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I just installed an old pair I got on eBay. Did one 5 minute ride. They seem neat! I've read a bunch of pro's and con's.

My angle would be: packing more work into less time.

I've seen the complaint that you can't get more out of your system than you can create. Whatever that means. Also that the pull-up muscles are small so improving them doesn't matter. Again, that seems dumb.

I don't have much time to ride nor am I much interested in lots of hours. So a secret weapon to use for 10-20 min's a couple times a week in addition to other riding appeals to me.

I like the idea of strengthening small muscles and boosting my core.

I suppose I could just weight a bike down heavily and train on that -- likely a benefit in other ways. When we had little kids I pulled them in a trailer. I also hauled groceries and USPS packages. All that extra weight seemed to improve power.

Oh, I also used a recumbent for a couple years and adapted to hillclimbing with that. Boosted power on my regular bike.

I also do cyclocross -- and I like it because with the 3 sets of dismounts on my short course my heart rate is higher than it would be for any other 20 minute workout. And it just seems like I'm playing. Running used to be a great HR booster but can't do it anymore, sniff.

I also used to do motorpacing and that definitely seemed like a secret weapon. Helped racing. Anything that helps is good.

I do look for tricks and it seems like sometimes I find them.

This reminds me of the old story about VVA who trained with his fellow Oly team members with WATER IN HIS INNER TUBES giving him heavy wheels. He thought it was cute and that he was getting one over on his mates. He got a flat once and water leaked out. Busted!

We'll see how these PC's go... JP

Last edited by JeffOYB; 04-16-20 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-15-20, 02:09 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Over in ST they were so contentious that the inventor was banned and discussion of them functionally is. I'd be curious to try a pair, but not enough to go find and install a set (especially since I love my Quarqs).
Old 04-15-20, 02:58 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
Yes, I am using YouTube comment language in the title and, yes, I'm talking about the cranksets with individual clutches for each crankarm, so your legs each have to complete the pedal rotation independently.

I bought a pair used on eBay many years ago, and used them for several years on trips less than say 12 miles -- often my commute, in good weather. I stopped using them I guess a year or two ago, and now I think I appreciate their benefits more. I'm thinking of slapping them back onto a bike, even though it'll mean digging up an old Octalink bottom bracket.

In my experience, they definitely call on a lot of leg muscles that I otherwise wouldn't be using while riding, based on the sheer pain of getting used to them. Stuff like the front of my shins, stuff in my hips. They made running easier. Looking back at Strava, it seems like they helped my power (when using traditional cranks) at efforts under 5 min, with less training.

I've looked at the studies; none of them seem to be designed too well; one gave some possible qualified benefits, others said they were likely of no help.

Just curious if others have really tried them, or still use them.
So, to clarify, if the pedals have one-way clutches, that means you can't back-pedal?
Edit - figured out that the clutches are at the BB end - so you could theoretically pedal one-legged while the other leg just sat there in the pedal?

Last edited by Litespud; 04-15-20 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-15-20, 03:20 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
So, to clarify, if the pedals have one-way clutches, that means you can't back-pedal?
Edit - figured out that the clutches are at the BB end - so you could theoretically pedal one-legged while the other leg just sat there in the pedal?
Yes, exactly. You can also pedal one crank arm forward and propel yourself, and pedal the other one backward without resistance. Or any other wacky stuff you can think of. Turning both arms forward in sync, instead of at 180 degrees, is another example -- like a kangaroo hopping motion.
Old 04-15-20, 06:14 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Utterly pointless and a complete waste of time if performance is your main objective.

The only benefit I got from mine was selling them on ebay for $200 more than I bought them for on fb.
Old 04-15-20, 06:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Not knowing what these were, I had to take a look. I won't make any assumptions about efficacy, but jezuz do they look like a pain in the ass.

Also, I just had to stop the intro video at about the 1-minute mark when the dude giving a testimonial said that his average speed went from 20mph to 25mph in 6 months of using them.
Old 04-16-20, 09:32 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Not knowing what these were,
You're lucky. Frank was an incessant and infatigable participant on many fora. His posts, both in quantity and quality, made a lot more sense when viewed as performance art.
Likes For RChung:
Old 04-16-20, 09:41 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by RChung
You're lucky. Frank was an incessant and infatigable participant on many fora. His posts, both in quantity and quality, made a lot more sense when viewed as performance art.
I briefly looked at an ST thread yesterday - yeah, he was a piece of work.
Old 04-16-20, 09:44 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I definitely feel the hip flexors! I can ride a couple minutes straight then need to let both legs hang down. I see what they say about core as well tho that part isn't tiring on me. Also I might be noticing a weaker leg. I tend to a galumphing style if not careful. I'll keep an eye on if it's always the same. I'm thinking the left falls behind the right. Maybe I'm just right-legged. That's a thing. Right might lead the left but not be stronger. I'll see if I notice other things about how each leg does.

Seems interesting

Last edited by JeffOYB; 04-16-20 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-16-20, 10:33 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I briefly looked at an ST thread yesterday
My condolences. The Stay At Home order must be weighing terribly on you.
Old 04-16-20, 10:42 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by RChung
My condolences. The Stay At Home order must be weighing terribly on you.
Alcohol consumption and BF posts per day both up sharply - a sure sign.
Old 04-16-20, 10:45 AM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Their website is a hilarious blast from the past. I do love weird and wacky stuff, but these cranks are a hard no from me, dog.