Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nexus 3 spd hangs up a little during downshift

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 02:07 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts

I have a Windsor Oxford, great bike. But I've noticed that when I have a good amount of pressure on the pedals, especially going uphill, it hesitates a little, does't shift immediately on every downshift and I can hear/feel something in the hub. The upshifts are absolutely flawless, each shift is fast no matter how pressure I am applying to the pedals. The yellow line is perfectly centered in the adjustment window so I don't think its a question of adjustment.

Thanks.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 03-11-20, 02:52 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It is probably a question of technique. Back off the pressure on your pedals momentarily while shifting. It is also helpful to anticipate a downshift on hills and shift down before you get bogged down in the higher gear.
Old 03-11-20, 05:22 PM
San Rensho 

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
It is probably a question of technique. Back off the pressure on your pedals momentarily while shifting. It is also helpful to anticipate a downshift on hills and shift down before you get bogged down in the higher gear.
So maybe this is the mirror image of shifting an SA 3spd. With an SA, you had to just slightly stop pedalling while shifting up, otherwise it wouldn't shift well, some would even back pedal a little while while shifting up.

So any 3 speed gurus that can address if its an adjustment problem or just a quirk, hint hint Dan Burkhart.?

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 03-11-20, 05:59 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
So maybe this is the mirror image of shifting an SA 3spd. With an SA, you had to just slightly stop pedalling while shifting up, otherwise it wouldn't shift well, some would even back pedal a little while while shifting up.

So any 3 speed gurus that can address if its an adjustment problem or just a quirk, hint hint Dan Burkhart.?
I have no experience with Nexus 3-speeds but I suspect that you are right. Looking at the Nexus shifter, it appears that low is with a slack cable, while the Sturmey-Archers go into high when the cable is slackened. If so, the Nexus downshift is by spring action, so pressure on the pedals would tend to hold up the shift, if my observations are correct.
I had an old Dunelt with a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub when I was a kid, and I used to "pre-shift" the gear selector when I was accelerating, and when I spun out the hub would upshift "automatically". Probably wasn't great for the hub but it took the abuse for years without complaint.
Old 03-11-20, 06:51 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts

My guess is the shift rod may be hanging up due to dirt or dried out grease. The bell crank pushes the rod in to upshift and the spring pushes it out to downshift.
I suggest removing the bell crank and the rod. Make sure it is grunge free, give it some oil and see if that helps.
Any internally geared hub is happiest when you pause the pedaling power to shift.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 03-12-20, 06:23 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

That's exactly what I have to do with my Nexus 8 otherwise a clean shift isn't guaranteed. I actually backpedal slightly whether it's a downshift or upshift, though.
Old 03-12-20, 09:17 AM
San Rensho 

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
My guess is the shift rod may be hanging up due to dirt or dried out grease. The bell crank pushes the rod in to upshift and the spring pushes it out to downshift.
I suggest removing the bell crank and the rod. Make sure it is grunge free, give it some oil and see if that helps.
Any internally geared hub is happiest when you pause the pedaling power to shift.
Its a brand new bike but I'll give it a try.

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 03-12-20, 09:21 AM
San Rensho 

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I have no experience with Nexus 3-speeds but I suspect that you are right. Looking at the Nexus shifter, it appears that low is with a slack cable, while the Sturmey-Archers go into high when the cable is slackened. If so, the Nexus downshift is by spring action, so pressure on the pedals would tend to hold up the shift, if my observations are correct.
I had an old Dunelt with a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub when I was a kid, and I used to "pre-shift" the gear selector when I was accelerating, and when I spun out the hub would upshift "automatically". Probably wasn't great for the hub but it took the abuse for years without complaint.
This was my thought also, but I'll try Dan's advice too.

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 03-13-20, 09:20 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
With IGHs, you should always ease up on the pedals when shifting. I have used SA, Suntour, and Shimano 3 speeds, Shimano 7 speed, and I currently have an Alfine 8 speed. The shifting is lightning quick if you ease up force on the pedals for the fraction of a second when shifting.

This is one of the real advantages of modern derailleur systems - the shaped and ramped tooth profiles allow shifting under load and thus require less finesse to use. The habit of easing up on the pedals when shifting is a small price to pay for the convenience of an IGH. IMO.
Old 03-13-20, 09:44 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Agreed.
Stop pedaling.
Shift.
Carry-on.
That's just how IGH's work.
Even a Rohloff 500/14, a hub that OEM claims can not be harmed by an errent shift under load, will shift better with a pause.

Car dependency is a tax.