Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help with new Trek bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help with new Trek bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-20, 04:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I still don't see an explanation for why this is the second SRAM bike that's been leaking hydro fluid from faulty installation. Whether the rotors need to be replaced or not is a very secondary concern to that, or would be if it were my bike.
Old 06-02-20, 08:06 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I still don't see an explanation for why this is the second SRAM bike that's been leaking hydro fluid from faulty installation. Whether the rotors need to be replaced or not is a very secondary concern to that, or would be if it were my bike.
I have three bikes with AXS Red. I have a number of friends with either Red of Force. None of us have had any issues with the brakes. Come to think of it, I've never had any issues with any SRAM brakes. I really don't think it's a defect, though of course my data points don't negate that possibility. It sounds like the pads got contaminated to me.
Old 06-02-20, 10:00 PM
john.b

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by justonwo
Come to think of it, I've never had any issues with any SRAM brakes.
You must be new...

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2014/sr...bicycle-brakes
Old 06-03-20, 03:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by john.b
"SRAM Hydraulic Road Rim Brakes" Seriously? I didn't know anyone made hydro rim brakes.

Looks like Shimano has also had problems with brake recalls.
https://www.cpsc.gov/es/Recalls/2013...brake-calipers
Old 06-03-20, 04:19 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
"SRAM Hydraulic Road Rim Brakes" Seriously? I didn't know anyone made hydro rim brakes.

Looks like Shimano has also had problems with brake recalls.
https://www.cpsc.gov/es/Recalls/2013...brake-calipers
Magura does.
Old 06-03-20, 04:26 AM
milan4ever

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I can’t believe that someone who spent 14k USD for a high end project one Trek bike has to go through all this troubles 😳 When I bought 2020 Domane SL5 which is not even close in terms of price and I was not impressed with dealer service I received I returned the bike, took money and bought the bike from other trek dealer.
Old 06-03-20, 04:48 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I have three bikes with AXS Red. I have a number of friends with either Red of Force. None of us have had any issues with the brakes. Come to think of it, I've never had any issues with any SRAM brakes. I really don't think it's a defect, though of course my data points don't negate that possibility. It sounds like the pads got contaminated to me.
Cool, cool. The brifters here were literally already said to have been leaking when he received the bike. So what happened? Defective brifter pair? Bad install at the Trek factory? Bad assembly at the store? You say "it sounds like the pads got contaminated", which they did. That happened because the brifters peed fluid on them. A $30 set of pads would be the least of my concerns at that point.

Also there's the fact that the shifting apparently sucks.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 06-03-20, 06:14 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Magura does.
And EE.
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2012/Ee...to-Fall-Hazard
Old 06-03-20, 07:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
So what happened? Defective brifter pair? Bad install at the Trek factory? Bad assembly at the store?
Knowing a little more about them would help narrow it down. For Shimano, an inline connector points to factory fluid fill and pre-bleed - these would be pretty hard for even an LBS grunt to muck up. If there aren't any inline connectors, I would assume that the hose fitting/install and fluid fill was done at the shop.
Old 06-03-20, 07:29 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Knowing a little more about them would help narrow it down. For Shimano, an inline connector points to factory fluid fill and pre-bleed - these would be pretty hard for even an LBS grunt to muck up. If there aren't any inline connectors, I would assume that the hose fitting/install and fluid fill was done at the shop.
Well and that’s the sort of thing I was wondering when I asked if Sram was harder to set up. It clearly works when it works, to be super specific, but if it’s more reliant on a really good mechanic to set up that’s an issue.
Old 06-03-20, 07:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Well and that’s the sort of thing I was wondering when I asked if Sram was harder to set up. It clearly works when it works, to be super specific, but if it’s more reliant on a really good mechanic to set up that’s an issue.
Yup. Again, I haven't played with SRAM, or even looked at an install manual, but I would have to assume that the connections are roughly identical. The only way that I could see things being more problematic would be something along the lines of port placement/angle - something that might make it more awkward/difficult to get the hose/connectors in squarely and securely. Also, I suppose that something silly like parts specs that are slightly different than Shimano could be problematic if the LBS wrench isn't paying close attention and they grab the wrong olive or barb or something.
Old 06-03-20, 09:22 AM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Trying to be helpful to the OP, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the SRAM brakes you have. New pads should do it. You should probably insist on new rotors for good measure. No reason for you to accept resurfaced rotors at this point. As for the shifting, that’s also easy to fix. Again, there is nothing fundamentally wrong. For a competent mechanic, both issues would be easy to resolve don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
Old 06-03-20, 04:52 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Trying to be helpful to the OP, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the SRAM brakes you have. New pads should do it. You should probably insist on new rotors for good measure. No reason for you to accept resurfaced rotors at this point. As for the shifting, that’s also easy to fix. Again, there is nothing fundamentally wrong. For a competent mechanic, both issues would be easy to resolve don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
As long as they're true there's nothing wrong with the existing rotors. It's not like they're literally re milling the surface to make them flat like a low budget automotive repair

No reason to demand new stuff forufor no reason just to make a point
Old 06-03-20, 05:31 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Do you have the older version of SRAM Red brakes? I do, and they suck from a noise and maintenance standpoint. The newer version are suppose to be better. Mine would regularly have the pulsating feel.

In the end, the design on my version is flawed. The pistons do not release the full distance on both sides. I can't tell you why, I just know it's true. I'm about to get mine replaced under warranty. I buddy of mine is on his 3rd set - all replaced under warranty.
Old 08-22-20, 01:33 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
My 2016 Domane Series 6 was leaking brake fluid from the front brake lever and always needing bleeding to keep it stopping. I finally pulled the hood and could see the fluid was coming from the reservoir cover and I thought a bad seal or something but the seal was installed a little off the sealing area. My guess is that someone , at some point, opened the reservoir thinking that is where you add fluid and misassembled it. Back together now and seems fine, time will tell.
Old 08-23-20, 04:55 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
I built my first Project One Domane with Sram Red three years ago. I suggest using organic brake pads and bed them in. Never had any of the problems you list. I got my second Project One bike last year when someone ran me over and their insurance company was all too happy to buy me a new project one bike (plus). So I now have the exact bike you have with the exception of a ENVE 4.5 wheel upgrade. It's not the bike or components it's the folks servicing it. No excuse whatsoever for poor shifting with Sram Red Axs ( assume all new Domane Sram are now AXS), as this is a dead give away it was never set up correctly as the micro adjust is very good and simple. Over 5K plus on the new bike and no new adjust needed yet. Perfect shifts everytime. Also the Sram Red Axs allows you to set it up where the front derailleur shifts automatically so cross chaining is impossible unless you disable it. I belive one push on the right shifter side button cycles this on and off. Another tip. When washing the bike,do not use car soaps or cleaners as they can leave residue on the pads and routers. I only use Dawn dish soap and very rarly hear any brake noise at all. Maybe twice in the rain so far. Although I set up my own bikes, at the prices paid, I expect and am pleased with the quility and performance of the bike and the components. You should expect this bike to be set up perfectly and if you are new to bedding brakes the shop should be thrilled at doing it for you. I'm guessing typical retail margins are in the $1,000.00 for that bike. I have also talked to some great folks at Trek for advise and belive they will not stand for such poor set ups of one of their flagship bikes. I'm hoping, by now, all this is resolved, if not, start video taping the problems and send that to Trek. I'll bet you anything you'll get a call from someone that can fix them for you ASAP.
Old 08-23-20, 05:06 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
You should have bought the $15,000 model to get out of the cheap bike range.
Old 08-23-20, 07:51 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I would recommend leveraging social media, especially Twitter, to document your journey here. This is the worst "negative"PR that Trek or SRAM could ask for. Be fair, document every phone call and trip back to the shop. Take pics and video.

If they truly cannot remedy this to be 100% perfect for $14,000 (or hell, $3000) you should NOT accept anything less than perfect.

You are way beyond replacing brake pads at this point, they need to be replacing entire components and...if necessary...the entire bike.